Turkey bill for folks 80 and older introduced

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
That's a harebrained scheme. Why would anyone want an 80 year-old to legally kill 6 turkeys? Most 80 year-old folks I know that still hunt aren't looking for special treatment. It sounds like an opportunity for someone hunting with them to load up on an extra bird or three. Gil

cowhornedspike

It's specifically written to apply to ONE year only and I assure you it was written with ONE person in mind. I'm not going to get too worked up over it. I't not intended to be a regulation change overall.

saltysenior

I think hunting turkeys in the springtime seemed bizarre and unethical to the old timey turkey hunters of old.

very true...it was considered to be no challenge to call in a tom in the spring,,,,,the two i spoke to believed the sporting way was to try to shoot them while roosting or fall hunting

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
very true...it was considered to be no challenge to call in a tom in the spring,,,,,the two i spoke to believed the sporting way was to try to shoot them while roosting or fall hunting

Those were the thoughts of my mentors and kinfolks too. The old gobbler has a reason to come to you in the spring. In the fall he doesn`t. I still know a couple of old turkeys hunters that hunted fall turkeys here. I did myself. It was a challenge and a lot of fun.

None of the Elders I still know want any handicaps concerning their age.

transfixer

This was on the news a while back , not long after Carter got out of the hospital last year, one of the state senators said he was going to propose legislation that would allow Carter to have a chance to kill the turkeys he missed last year, I suppose it was meant as something to honor Carter, not sure why you get honored for being a lousy Governor and the second worst President in modern times ? some Democrats evidently think he's special ? everyone else knows knows he's a spineless phony

buckpasser

This was on the news a while back , not long after Carter got out of the hospital last year, one of the state senators said he was going to propose legislation that would allow Carter to have a chance to kill the turkeys he missed last year, I suppose it was meant as something to honor Carter, not sure why you get honored for being a lousy Governor and the second worst President in modern times ? some Democrats evidently think he's special ? everyone else knows knows he's a spineless phony

It would be cheaper to just issue Carter 2 or 3 “governors tags” wouldn’t it?

Wayne D Davis

If and when I reach 80 I'll be fishing more and hunting less. At 80 even the hard core hunter will do the same. My second cuz is now almost 82. He goes down to Piedmont refuge and has a great time at camp. Far as hunting he gets into the woods late and falls asleep. Sometimes it's a chore to find him. We always know where the other parks and he don't go far.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
How many 80 plus is killing their limit plus.
None. I ain’t worried bout the ol timer huntin too much.

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
The old way was to eat. No sporting about it. I wish I had a dollar for every gobbler I've walked straight up under that flew off because I didn't know he was there, while pursuing a distant gobble.

As for the bill, I emailed one of the senators sponsoring it, and told him we were curious about it's existence.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
This one will. I`ll hunt till I die. Fish too.
I met an old feller one year at ocmulgee wma. He had never killed a deer but hunted half his life. The next year he missed one and the next he got his first doe. He passed the next year at 93.

turkeykirk

If this is for Mr. Carter he shouldn’t have problems killing his limit considering the quality property he gets to hunt.

Last edited: