Bill would extend deer season to Jan 31 statewide

TurkeyH90

I urge all the small game hunters (and people that have any common sense) tell them to vote NO for HB 186. Give the deer a break and the small game hunters a chance!

Bigtalker

I urge all the small game hunters (and people that have any common sense) tell them to vote NO for HB 186. Give the deer a break and the small game hunters a chance!

I agree but it sounds like small game hunters are out of luck. If you haven't tried to rabbit hunt during deer season then you won't understand. Even if you lease your own land you have to worry about the dogs getting on a rabbit that runs them off your land and then you are at the mercy of some guy that is ticked his deer hunting may be interrupted. When I was a kid deer season was closed most of December and then opened back up after Christmas for a week or two. We did a lot of rabbit hunting during that time. But like I said, us rabbit hunters are probably out of luck on this because if you don't rabbit hunt you probably won't understand most of the reasons it is hard, not impossible, to rabbit hunt during deer season. I will be letting my opinion be known. That usually doesn't get me too far, though. Ha

humdandy

Banned

You guys have 6 months to kill a squirrel?

How much more time do you need to kill a tree rat?

Squirrels Lives Matter........I say shorten small game season.

TurkeyH90

Hb 186

I can understand that the serious deer hunters in SouthEast GA want a chance to hunt the rut. I am all for them having that chance, just not at the expense of all the small game hunters in the state who have to wait until after deer season to run their beagles, shoot their beaver pond ducks and tree their squirrels. I'm not trying to be devisive but I'm dang sure gonna stand up when I see an obvious threat to MY hunting tradition which includes running coondogs, beagles, and cur dogs on small game. One size fits all is not a good idea for GA deer season. I know that different parts of the state have different strains of whitetail brought in front different states and thus giving us different periods of the rut. The DNR should introduce deer seasons in zones based on actual research. Not a politician with an agenda.

shdw633

Squirrel season opens in August.

Plenty of time to hunt squirrels.

Most small game runs through the end of February as well.

nickel back

Yep, it's all about deer hunting, no other hunting matters as long as folks can deer hunt. Why don't y'all just go ahead and start crying for a year around season on deer, why y'all are at it start crying for hunting at night also. Deer hunting is getting to the point of I want it my way and I'm going to cry like a little baby till I get....

The day is coming that a Hunter is going to be a hunters worse nightmare

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Who cring now ^^ lols
I nite hunt now got the roads to myself.
I am not a little baby. That coloring book in my stand is for the grandkids. :)

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Any activity or lack of activity on this bill ????

HIGH COUNTRY

Legislature

It doesnt appear to be moving forward on house side, but a similar bill on senate side is still in play - would add two weeks to small game season.

HIGH COUNTRY

Senate bill

I asked for an update from state rep, you cant hardly find anything on internet (I looked on ga legislature site and found the bill on the senate side) but you cant really tell where it is.

Looks like it got out of committee, not sure if it then gets voted on by entire senate - think Friday is the last day to cross to the House...

Thats everything I know... Hope that helps.