Bill would extend deer season to Jan 31 statewide

Gumpbuck

Yep, some differing opinions here.

I have asked twice and nobody from the 6 districts where their reps are proposing the bill has spoken up.????

Sorry for the delay. ;-) I hunt in Decatur county. We didn't see the first rub or scrape this year till the week between Christmas and NYE.
I say use a sliding scale. Start later to end later. Push us back to beginning or mid October and let us gun hunt till end of Jan. If I head back 6 miles, across the state line to FL, we can hunt till almost end of feb. it's the same deer herd.
FL has 4 zones, each with a different start and end date. All zones center around when the rut is for that zone.
Seems fair to me...... JMO. :)

nickel back

So, the snowflakes of the GON are overreacting and this would only add a few days to rifle season........and a few weeks to bow season............which one week of bow season was taken away years ago when they introduced muzzleloading season.....

Hmmmm

big lazer

I know a few landowners who are setting their own season. I stop allowed deer hunting on December 31st. My neighbor on Dec 15. Might need more owners doing this.

Joe Brandon

I don't know anything about extending this season or that season but I do know I'm ready to extend this Falcons season to a Super Bowl Championship Season. RISE UP!!!!!!!!!

Rain Check?

Am I the only one still using rain checks when the season ends. Any day I miss during the normal season I get rain checks for.:cheers:

Good coyote, fox and cat trappers will have more to contend with but we're a tough lot and deal with it. On second thought why not run the season year 'round? What do GA DNR big game biologists have to say about the change?

Dustin

Good coyote, fox and cat trappers will have more to contend with but we're a tough lot and deal with it. On second thought why not run the season year 'round? What do GA DNR big game biologists have to say about the change?

Already been asked...

I knew you would ask, but that's really a question for the Commissioner.

Why someone from DNR would say ask the commissioner if the DNR supports it is a little off however.... but it's about on par with everything else.

HIGH COUNTRY

Clarification

The change would only add to the third Monday of Jan for firearms, this is basically one additional weekend which also happens to be a state holiday.

How can anyone question the value of having the season conclude with a long weekend for our kids and grandkids, this could go a long ways in establishing our outdoor way of life with future generations.

I also talked with a south ga meat store owner today, he would appreciate the extra week.

There is a also a two week additional archery until the end of January, i.e. more hunter hours and enjoyment in the outdoors with minimum impact on our herd.

Individuals, clubs, land owners can further regulate as they see fit.

Finally, the least point of all is that a substantial amount of rut activity in Deep South ga occurs in January - what may be good for the mountains may not be appropriate for south ga, or coastal ga, or mid ga.

ProAngler

So, the snowflakes of the GON are overreacting and this would only add a few days to rifle season........and a few weeks to bow season............which one week of bow season was taken away years ago when they introduced muzzleloading season.....

you can still bow hunt during ML season

GunnSmokeer

House Bill 186 standardizes the deer season in all zones statewide.

Senate Bill 122 (From Senator Michael Williams (R- Cumming) is the same or similar, from the SENATE.
(I haven't actually read each bill and compared them)

Sen. Williams said in a recent e-mail:

"[As] we all know, many of us in Georgia love to deer hunt.
However, because of inconsistencies between counties throughout the state, it can be difficult to regulate.
This week, I introduced Senate Bill 122 which aims to create a statewide season for deer hunting.
The bill outlines that the closing date of the open season for hunting deer with a firearm will fall on the third Monday of January each year, while bow hunting will be permitted through January 31st.
We have received a lot of feedback from small game hunters and as such are working to amend the bill to lengthen the small game hunting season as well."

HIGH COUNTRY

Similar bills?

Looks similar to HR 186 I believe.

For this year, I think it would have added one additional firearms season and then the two archery at the end.

Not sure when we will know likelihood of passing, crossover day for legislature is Feb 28th I think...

I just really like the season ending on a long weekend for our kids and grandkids, I am usually burned out by then anyway but would like to spend the last hunting weekend with grandkids...

Latest posts