Bill would extend deer season to Jan 31 statewide

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
If I read the proposed bill correctly the six legislators who are sponsoring the bill represent the six districts in the outlined section of the state. The rep from District 177 in central Lowndes county (small yellow area) is not included.

Obviously these representatives are being encouraged by those in their districts to propose and support this change.

Are you guys who live and hunt in that area on board with this?

Nobody reading here from these districts ??????

Kris87

You probably like shooting dove off a power line too, don't ya?

I see those guys up in Alaska getting on a boat and riding up next to the migrating caribou and shooting them while they swim. You must think that's pretty cool too, huh?

Stabbing a hog while a dog has him by the ears?

etc.

etc.

Ill throw another bag of corn in the microwave for ya

I was just looking for a more concise explanation from you on why bow season should open later. You stated deer were easier to kill as the reason. Maybe its just me, but I don't see nearly the number or quality of big bucks being shot in September as I do in November. Maybe they're really easy to bow hunt where you hunt so you just help them out and give them a chance and blast them with a firearm....pure assumption on my part. ;)

Killdee

Bucks here in the metro have already lost1 or both antlers, I don't care to shoot bald headed bucks.
What have you south ga guys been doing for the last 40-45 years to kill deer, is this a new issue?

deers2ward

I was just looking for a more concise explanation from you on why bow season should open later. You stated deer were easier to kill as the reason. Maybe its just me, but I don't see nearly the number or quality of big bucks being shot in September as I do in November. Maybe they're really easy to bow hunt where you hunt so you just help them out and give them a chance and blast them with a firearm....pure assumption on my part. ;)

It would reduce the harvest.

How's that for concise?

Same as ending it on Thanksgiving, as well as the revised bag limits I suggested. It's all about reducing the harvest. But good job on cherry picking and pulling on the thread you want to pull on when it's only part of what I said.

And using a bow or rifle's got nothing to do with it. I read your articles in GON. I am a bowhunter. Just because it is rifle season doesn't mean you have to carry one. As a matter of fact, I'd be fine if it was bow only, all season state wide. You are barking up the wrong tree, Son

And I don't care if you or no one else on here likes my ideas. Lucky for yall I don't call the shots. If I did, I'd be holding up some executive orders, like this!

Attachments

• trump.jpg
    trump.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 597

Triple C

This is fun! :pop::pop:

It's what I love about this forum. They should charge to be a member. Better than going to the movie theater. :yeah:

Throw my 2 cents worth in...For the northern zone, I liked it better when the season ended on January 1st. After chasing deer for the better part of 3 months, I'm ready for habitat work on Jan 2nd. Them boys in S GA got a bigger issue than us northern guys with their late rut. Maybe something will happen for them to address that. I for one will be providing my input to not extend the season in the northern zone.

Kris87

I am never for shortening the season just due to the fact that I like being in the woods. I'm fine with harvest limits, even if that meant reducing the limit from two bucks to one, but not shortening the season. I enjoy going and sitting in the tree and hunting. If I shot a buck opening day, I'd still hunt the rest of the season.

deers2ward

I hear you.

If you keep the corn going, you will eventually have hogs if you don't already. ..Ask me how I know...You can hunt them year round.

Gator89

Multiple zones with start dates based on the rut in each region. My brother in law in central FL has killed two rutting backs in the past week. The season is his zone opened the first Saturday in December and will close the third Sunday in February.

Do away with doe days, issue one or two doe "tags"with each license. Sell extra doe tags by county if DNR feels it is warranted.

T-N-T

If I read the proposed bill correctly the six legislators who are sponsoring the bill represent the six districts in the outlined section of the state. The rep from District 177 in central Lowndes county (small yellow area) is not included.

Obviously these representatives are being encouraged by those in their districts to propose and support this change.

Are you guys who live and hunt in that area on board with this?
I live in that area.
I don't care when deer season is
I like the long season we have to sit and watch deer and have the option to wait on what I'm wanting

I don't care if they cut the season in half or make it twice as long. But when I hear folks from north of Atlanta telling people in deep southern counties when to hunt it erks me bigly

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
It's what I love about this forum. They should charge to be a member. Better than going to the movie theater. :yeah:

No. They should charge people to come here and watch it happen. Contestants play for free. :biggrin2:

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
I saw it. Not a good reason to not rabbit or squirrel hunt as long as the rabbit dogs aren't right beside the deer stand that is being hunted.

And....no reason a club couldn't set aside a non deer hunting piece of acreage if anyone wants to deer hunt that particular 2 hours.....

That's hilarious. No way on God's green earth that 80% (bet you $100 it higher) that a club is gonna let other members run dogs on their ground during deer season. They seem to think that coon hunting, squirrel hunting, rabbit hunting scares the deer off to the next county. Same thing with shooting a few ducks in a swamp or creek during deer season. Been there, payed the dues, asked for permission and members to join, got denied, got the t shirt.

tv_racin_fan

I support any bill that makes deer season year round.

I agree. When my freezer is empty I should be legally allowed to go hunt something to fill it back up.

T.P.

Banned
I live in that area.
I don't care when deer season is
I like the long season we have to sit and watch deer and have the option to wait on what I'm wanting

I don't care if they cut the season in half or make it twice as long. But when I hear folks from north of Atlanta telling people in deep southern counties when to hunt it erks me bigly

Y'all southern boys always been a little slower. I think y'all should get another month or two to get ya a buck. Already got the corn.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Seems like most folks have not fully read the bill. Archery would run through Jan. 31 while firearms would close on the 3rd Monday of Jan., MLK Day.

"the season for hunting deer
with firearms shall close on the third
Monday in January; deer may be taken
with archery equipment through Jan. 31
"