Bill would extend deer season to Jan 31 statewide

Stroker

Iv'e always said let it close on MLK day since most work places and schools now observe it as a holiday.

tv_racin_fan

Pigs are available throughout most of the state 24/7/365 to keep your freezer full. :shoot::shoot::shoot:

Grocery stores are available all over the state. Does that mean that hunting should be a thing of the past?

I still believe that it should be legal to hunt year round. Whenever the mood strikes me.

Dustin

And....no reason a club couldn't set aside a non deer hunting piece of acreage if anyone wants to deer hunt that particular 2 hours.....

Find a club that will allow that... good luck lol

I was just looking for a more concise explanation from you on why bow season should open later. You stated deer were easier to kill as the reason. Maybe its just me, but I don't see nearly the number or quality of big bucks being shot in September as I do in November. Maybe they're really easy to bow hunt where you hunt so you just help them out and give them a chance and blast them with a firearm....pure assumption on my part. ;)

I must have missed the part where he said bucks... looks to me like he was referring to how the season should be shorter to protect the entire herd, considering how bad the herd already is in the southeast part of the state.

I am never for shortening the season just due to the fact that I like being in the woods. I'm fine with harvest limits, even if that meant reducing the limit from two bucks to one, but not shortening the season. I enjoy going and sitting in the tree and hunting. If I shot a buck opening day, I'd still hunt the rest of the season.

You allergic to going out in the woods without being able to kill something? or just that itchy of a trigger finger? if neither of those things apply you can go sit in a tree all yr and nobody will care... can't kill anything, but then again I think that's the problem and the reason why you want the longer season.

What on gods green earth would cutting from two bucks to one help? doe's are what the limit should come down on... bucks don't have fawns that turn into bucks in case you didn't notice.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Me:) I say 4 bucks any size & 2 does. The deer herd will increase.
I can kill 2 more bucks. End doe days after thanksgiving weekend.
End the season in Jan what ever y'all decide.
With 4 bucks a lot of folks would never shoot a doe. More deer then.
My bad I forgot about the horn worshippers .

Wanderlust

Me:) I say 4 bucks any size & 2 does. The deer herd will increase.
I can kill 2 more bucks. End doe days after thanksgiving weekend.
End the season in Jan what ever y'all decide.
With 4 bucks a lot of folks would never shoot a doe. More deer then.
My bad I forgot about the horn worshippers .

Need a like button. Shot 4 bucks this year ( 3 WMA chech in) and a doe. More meat and bigger straps on a buck.:cool:

Rulo

Some of yall doubt this will happen (the deer deer season being extended until January 31 or baiting in the Northern Zone,) but watch.........I can see it now............

Georgia 2017/2018 Regulations

Deer , Either Sex, No Closed Season, Limit: none.

Permitted means of harvest: Aerial gunnery, baiting, spotlighting, trapping, snaring, prescribed burn, and poisoned corn.

All thats needed to complete this is have DNR do the town hall meeting thing seeking our input. You know.......like they did to us here in the Northern Zone when they wanted to hear what we thought about extending the season to January 8th....

Seems like when the biologists is an avid deer deer hunter these pro deer hunting regs get pushed through.....

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Seems like most folks have not fully read the bill. Archery would run through Jan. 31 while firearms would close on the 3rd Monday of Jan., MLK Day.

"the season for hunting deer
with firearms shall close on the third
Monday in January; deer may be taken
with archery equipment through Jan. 31
"

Does DNR/WRD support this bill?

Rulo

I knew you would ask, but that's really a question for the Commissioner.

Oh you better believe the boys at DNR are all for this.

For some....deer hunting is their passion. So anything to promote/extend the season ........its a green light.

Last edited:

shdw633

If this bill makes it past the brainfart stage

I think this has a good chance at passing, considering that the end of gun going forward for some time will be the middle of January (unless I am wrong that it closes on the second Sunday of the month) which is close to MLK day to begin with and the remainder will be bow only, which is similar to the way they have it in some of Atlanta's area now, I don't see any reason why it wouldn't pass for the benefit of those hunting in the southwest portion of the state.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I don't see any reason why it wouldn't pass for the benefit of those hunting in the southwest portion of the state.

I have read multiple times here about the SW Corner of Ga having a late rut and some wanting a later season for that reason. But the reps who are sponsoring this bill are basically from the south central area. See map in post # 42 Does the rut occur late there as well ?

shdw633

I have read multiple times here about the SW Corner of Ga having a late rut and some wanting a later season for that reason. But the reps who are sponsoring this bill are basically from the south central area. See map in post # 42 Does the rut occur late there as well ?

I get that, but that doesn't mean that people in that district represented by those that introduced the bill don't hunt in that yellow area. Those that live in the districts you have outlined may do most of their hunting in that yellow area you have outlined and since they have no voice with that representative they went to the ones they do have a voice with.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
I've hunted SW Ga since 1987 and can confirm, our rut was around the first or second week of Dec in 87. Now it's showing up in spurts beginning around the last week of Dec. We don't see a hard rut anymore, it's broken up and may span several weeks well into January. This past season, we didn't begin getting mature bucks on camera (over three years old) until the very end of the season. Checking our woods after season, i've found signs of chasing, new scrapes and rubs right up to the last day checked. Jan 30th, 2017. Being one who holds out for the older bucks, the current situation gives me no choice but to take the best i'm seeing before the season goes out. This is usually three year olds. But lets not forget the does. Our old does held up their daylight activity too, with very few of them being harvested. Camera's show we have plenty old does doing daylight feeding now the season is over. We manage for all wildlife, planting a variety of foods. For several years now, most of our buck harvest has been 2 and 3 year olds, with just a few older. Thick woods where our club hunts, we can't see anything unless it moves, the rut gives us the best chances. Extending the season, taking a couple weeks off the front, attaching on the end would be great.

HIGH COUNTRY

Confirmation of son's comments

I have hunted the edge of Miller/Early county since the first legal season, I believe it was approx 1973.

I too have seen a switch in the rut dates, I used to always target Dec 10-20 for vacation.

Mid December is when I have tradiitonally harvested my ten best bucks; bu it is no longer the best hunting periods. I have also noticed Son's and other locals best bucks are getting later and later in the season over the years.

This is further corroborated by other locals/farmers who know what is going on.

It is a personal choice, but bowhunting in early sept first weeks is something I choose not to do anymore (I primarily bowhunt throughout the season).

The increased economic impact with the new bill for areas businesses, the opportunity to close out the season with our kids and grandkids on a long state/school holiday weekend (this is the best reason if we think about the future of longterm hunting in our society), and yes we get a more fair opportunity to hunt our rut in sw ga.

How can one argue with having zones, we are a very diverse state from a geographical perspective - mountains to coast to middle ga to deep sw ga. agricultural area. One sizer fit all may be easy to administer and monitor for DNR, but doesnt seem logical.

I would not dare comment on what is best for these other regions, but I assure you Son has hit the nail on the head with his comments for SW GA.

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
Seems like most folks have not fully read the bill. Archery would run through Jan. 31 while firearms would close on the 3rd Monday of Jan., MLK Day.

"the season for hunting deer
with firearms shall close on the third
Monday in January; deer may be taken
with archery equipment through Jan. 31
"

Dang it Charlie, haven't you learned it's not about facts. It's about everyone being right.