Bill would extend deer season to Jan 31 statewide

humdandy

Banned
Seems like most folks have not fully read the bill. Archery would run through Jan. 31 while firearms would close on the 3rd Monday of Jan., MLK Day.

"the season for hunting deer
with firearms shall close on the third
Monday in January; deer may be taken
with archery equipment through Jan. 31
"

So, the snowflakes of the GON are overreacting and this would only add a few days to rifle season........and a few weeks to bow season............which one week of bow season was taken away years ago when they introduced muzzleloading season.....

Muddy Water

September is a time when deer are still on a summer pattern, coming to food plots and corn piles every afternoon like clockwork (easy to kill). Many late-drop fawns are still shaking their spots off and need a little more training in the event there mama gets harvested. It is still very hot and many deer arrowed late in the evening with poor shots are spoiled by the time they are found the next day....

you forgot about those big ole spiders the size of your hand that hang out in between every tree.

humdandy

Banned
IN 2018 Rifle season will close Jan. 15...........this is what the Southern Zone had for years until it was changed!

I like this bill! I'll be sending an email off for support.

Thanks!

There are many deer hunters in Georgia that bow hunt the entire season and there are those that once muzzle loader comes in-use only a muzzle loader. Simply because rifle season comes in-does not mean that one must put away their other equipment.........

Streetsweeper

WRONG!!! There's nothing stopping you from leasing hunting rights on a property and choosing to hunt rabbits instead of deer...

Most of us are already in a deer hunting lease. We just get to run dogs after deer season is over.... Why? .... I'm glad you asked! Because hunters think that beagles run all the deer off the property!

Buckman18

WRONG!!! There's nothing stopping you from leasing hunting rights on a property and choosing to hunt rabbits instead of deer...

Wrong!!!!!!!!!!! 99% of the deer clubs dont want us beagle people running dogs on the club when deer season is in.

If YOU lease the hunting rights on a property, you can run rabbits all you want. There wouldn't be any deer hunters on that property unless YOU allow it.

mattuga

Banned
This is good news. It will give our club members more days to kill 188 deer on 1800 acres.

Do you troll GON posts for a fun or just like to explain how well you have it? You are the weirdest poster on GON, hands down. 188 deer on 1800 acres may work for you but is stupid for most of GA. Are you just here to boast what you have? You sound like a crass old man with nothing to show but a lot to prove.

nickel back

T.P.

Banned
Do you troll GON posts for a fun or just like to explain how well you have it? You are the weirdest poster on GON, hands down. 188 deer on 1800 acres may work for you but is stupid for most of GA. Are you just here to boast what you have? You sound like a crass old man with nothing to show but a lot to prove.

Sarcasm comprehension isn't one of your strong suits, is it?facepalm:

PappyHoel

Sarcasm comprehension isn't one of your strong suits, is it?facepalm:

But I like being the weirdest poster that's not an old man :)

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Increasing fees is another thing that worries me. Every time cost goes up, i lose members in the hunt club. Paragraph about increasing fees claim they haven't increased for several years now. I don't see that as a good reason to increase. Folks i hunt with, and myself hasn't had an increase in income for several years now. Hunting is quickly turning into a rich persons sport. We don't want that, i don't want that. Increase in Boat registration, etc.. don't they know when to stop. Enough is enough in my opinion. Money grabbing is a norm for government and people are tired of it. Oh, i know, some go along with whatever government shoves at us, but i don't. Take a look at all the agencies we have today. Agencies are only for one thing, to control the people. That's us folks. Think of all the elderly who are on SS, get a raise and Medicare takes it back and more. I hate losing good club members just because cost of license etc has exceeded their money limit. Lost several when the reciprocal agreement was stopped between Ga and Fl. Losing out of state hunters and fishermen does affect local economies in many areas. I've heard cussing of "Those darned Florida folks" but lets take a look at some of em. My Great Grandparents and Grandparents actually went to Florida in ox drawn carts in the 1800's. So, they used to be Georgia Folks. Not all of us are tourist from up north. Hope i'm not just singing to the choir here. Been writing about, and attending meetings for many years now. Sure would be nice if our outdoors were more affordable and relaxed if you know what i mean.

Slowmow24

:flag:After going through and reading multiple comments. I think there are a lot of good points that have been made and glad everyone has a voice to be heard, but like many of you on this site we all hunt in other states and then reflect and compare if that was applied to our home state here in Georgia. (And think it may be better & in some cases it may be)

Some of you it effects the time of the rut, others, think it isgood the way it is. The main thing to remember is that it is called hunting not called killing and no matter how much things could change, your not going to please everyone. There will always be the guys out there rooting for it or opposing it, just remember why we do it, respect it, having fellowship, and fun. That should be all that matters.

My two cents on the whole thing though, I think they should open the season up like they did in the past in mid October and carry it out through the full month of January, for a couple of reasons.

1) Down here in the south and not compared to the northern states I have hunted like W. Virginia, Michigan, and Illinois, it doesn't get that cold during September and even October for that matter; and in some areas the foliage is unbearable for people like me who Bow Hunt even if you do proper land management.

2) I don't about yall but just saying, I don't like the snakes nor the bugs that are still out during the early season.

3) I have gotten a lot of information from this site, especially from people like Milkman and NCStar and many others that have been hunting Georgia for many many years and the rut is different in Georgia due to climate and the different type of species of whitetail, Georgia has had imported. All it takes though is one Hot Doe.

4) In general the opportunity to hunt the colder months allows the people to see more deer possibly because they are up on their feet.

5)

All in all, I know I don't know much. These are just my opinions just like every one else who has one and people normally take it with a grain of salt, but just make sure you appreciate the fact of being able to do what we love and that is hunt no matter what time of year it is.

shakey gizzard

I cant wait till night hunting is proposed!:banana: Wont affect the squirrel and rabbit guys!

Muddy Water

Increasing fees is another thing that worries me. Every time cost goes up, i lose members in the hunt club. Paragraph about increasing fees claim they haven't increased for several years now. I don't see that as a good reason to increase. Folks i hunt with, and myself hasn't had an increase in income for several years now. Hunting is quickly turning into a rich persons sport. We don't want that, i don't want that. Increase in Boat registration, etc.. don't they know when to stop. Enough is enough in my opinion. Money grabbing is a norm for government and people are tired of it. Oh, i know, some go along with whatever government shoves at us, but i don't. Take a look at all the agencies we have today. Agencies are only for one thing, to control the people. That's us folks. Think of all the elderly who are on SS, get a raise and Medicare takes it back and more. I hate losing good club members just because cost of license etc has exceeded their money limit. Lost several when the reciprocal agreement was stopped between Ga and Fl. Losing out of state hunters and fishermen does affect local economies in many areas. I've heard cussing of "Those darned Florida folks" but lets take a look at some of em. My Great Grandparents and Grandparents actually went to Florida in ox drawn carts in the 1800's. So, they used to be Georgia Folks. Not all of us are tourist from up north. Hope i'm not just singing to the choir here. Been writing about, and attending meetings for many years now. Sure would be nice if our outdoors were more affordable and relaxed if you know what i mean.

The price increase isn't that much. Another $30 to buy all the licenses separately (probably $20 if you buy the sportsman combo) shouldn't keep most people who already buy licenses from hunting. My only concern is what those price increases fund. I'm big into fishing but the money we spend stocking LMB is insane given the fact that they breed easy in every body of water south of Helen.

I'd be more than happy to fork over a few dinners worth of wampum if the DNR started putting a little more effort into habitat/food improvement on the WMAs. But we won't ever get that because the season they plant foodplots on WMAs is the season that you get hillbillies gunning each other down with deer rifles because "that's my plot out here on ____ WMA"

oppthepop

Here's my two cents - for what it is worth....... My goodness, hunting for FIVE MONTHS? With almost four months of rifle hunting? I have lots of cam pics of bucks that had already dropped their antlers LONG BEFORE the proposed ending date. Thus, some would be shot as a "doe" on most/some leases and clubs. Bad business IMHO. Give the animals a little bit of a break, or heck, hunt them all year. Increase the limit to 20 does and 4 bucks for crying out loud!
My opinion, and it is worth much less than the time it takes to type this, is make the entire state a QDM state like some counties, of which I am thankful to hunt in, decrease the number of does from ten to MAYBE 4, and leave the dates like they are.
Remember when we could only hunt the last week of December? Remember when we got two buck TAGS and three doe TAGS?
Yes I'm old and nostalgic, but i sure would like for my grandkids to be able to hunt when they get older and be able to SEE SOME DEER when they go. Between a 5 month season, exuberant bag limits, and an exploded coyote population, sometimes I wonder.