Bird reduction numbers

Twiggbuster

Lots of Brown Thrashers in my backyard. Huge ones. Makes you realize why they are our state bird. Numerous Bluejays. Lots of doves. Fewer bats but still see them if you sit still long enough. One thing I don’t see like when I was young is Robins. Did we decimate them with those Red Ryders??

Ocmulgee44

Robins still cover my place up every year about the time spring training gets going good. I saw what I guess you could call a piebald one a few years ago. Lot of white on him.

oldguy

Still a lot of cedar waxwings here in the mountains. About late February, there are always huge mixed flocks of waxwings and robins going around stripping every berry that's left off the hollies, privets, hawthorns, and other trees and bushes.
Woods full of robins eating privet berries yesterday - but just robins.
Did see a covey of wild quail fly across the road from a fence row day or two ago! Like old times.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Saw some huge flocks of cedar waxwings yesterday. With a good snow here this morning, there are hundreds of birds of all kinds descending on my feeders.
Several pairs of cardinals, towhees, brown thrashers, titmice, chickadees, house finches, nuthatches, downy and red-bellied woodpeckers, blue jays, red-winged blackbirds, White-throated sparrows, white-crowned sparrows, song sparrows, field sparrows, chipping sparrows, Carolina wrens, mourning doves, even a few robins hopping around under the feeders. Probably a couple more I'm missing.

The ones that I haven't seen this winter in my yard, oddly enough, are the junco (snowbird,) and goldfinch.

oldguy

Saw some huge flocks of cedar waxwings yesterday. With a good snow here this morning, there are hundreds of birds of all kinds descending on my feeders.
Several pairs of cardinals, towhees, brown thrashers, titmice, chickadees, house finches, nuthatches, downy and red-bellied woodpeckers, blue jays, red-winged blackbirds, White-throated sparrows, white-crowned sparrows, song sparrows, field sparrows, chipping sparrows, Carolina wrens, mourning doves, even a few robins hopping around under the feeders. Probably a couple more I'm missing.

The ones that I haven't seen this winter in my yard, oddly enough, are the junco (snowbird,) and goldfinch.
As I read your list I was wondering about the junco. We sometimes get one or two with the chipping sparrows(by the 100s!), but I haven't seen one in a couple of years. I'd a'thought you had 'em for certain.
Got to go out and mow the grass/weeds. If we had snow wouldn't be able to see it and I could stay in by the fire!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
As I read your list I was wondering about the junco. We sometimes get one or two with the chipping sparrows(by the 100s!), but I haven't seen one in a couple of years. I'd a'thought you had 'em for certain.
Got to go out and mow the grass/weeds. If we had snow wouldn't be able to see it and I could stay in by the fire!
The juncos are here year-round, and nest in the higher elevations. When I was growing up, there would be flocks of hundreds around the house in the winter, but they are getting scarce nowadays. This has been a pretty mild winter, there are usually more down at my elevation in colder, snowier winters.

oldguy

The juncos are here year-round, and nest in the higher elevations. When I was growing up, there would be flocks of hundreds around the house in the winter, but they are getting scarce nowadays. This has been a pretty mild winter, there are usually more down at my elevation in colder, snowier winters.
What about pine siskins, you got any? Little guys used to cover the ground at UGA late winter gathering Chinese Elm (I know, danged landscapers!) seeds. Don't see 'em down here. When I put out suet we get lots of beautiful palm warblers.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
What about pine siskins, you got any? Little guys used to cover the ground at UGA late winter gathering Chinese Elm (I know, danged landscapers!) seeds. Don't see 'em down here. When I put out suet we get lots of beautiful palm warblers.
Don't see many, just now and then. I saw one siskin last week, that's about it so far this year. They do nest here, but I think they mostly leave the mountains in wintertime most years. If they do show up, they're usually a lot of them.

Gary Mercer

C'mon down to Peachtree City. They are the big eaters at my sunflower seeds, (along with the red wing black birds.)
They will be with me until the weather warms a little more. Then they are off to the mountains again. Those little guys will literally eat up my seed budget.

oldguy

It's interesting what different folks see at their feeders. We seldom get RWBB and only when they're passing through in the spring. Same with cowbirds (thank goodness!) and the grackles. There were 3 yesterday. Our place is wooded which may have something to do with what we do and don't see. Late spring we get rosebreasted grosbeaks and indigo buntings for a few days then they're gone. Never had a painted bunting.Of course the trees fill up with an assortment of warblers passing through. And interestingly enough we never have ring-neck doves though they're all over town.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
The last few days, I've had red-winged blackbirds eating me out of house and home like a fat lady at the Golden Corral Buffet. When the cowbirds show up in early April is usually when I have to take my feeders down. They are relentless.

Gary Mercer

For those of you who enjoy birds, pull up YOUTUBE and search Cornell Lab.. Look at their live feed bird cam. When not watching TV this is pretty interesting and restful.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
Anybody besides me have House Finches? Easy to remember when we didn't. When they moved in they brought all their relatives with them.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Anybody besides me have House Finches? Easy to remember when we didn't. When they moved in they brought all their relatives with them.
Plenty of them.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member

Overrun with them. The only good they`ve really done is displace the invasive English sparrow. And the finches are actually native to the western US.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Overrun with them. The only good they`ve really done is displace the invasive English sparrow. And the finches are actually native to the western US.
Pretty interesting story of how they got to the eastern US.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
English Sparrows and Starlings as you know were brought to this country by someone from Europe and released in Central Park NY NY

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
Another New York episode released from a pet shop per Google source. Hollywood Finches huh?