Canning Salsa

Harley45

The wife and I canned 39 pints of salsa saturday.
Hope it turns out good and spicy. We used plenty of cayenne, and a few jalapenos, and onions.

Attachments

• SS850494.JPG
    SS850494.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 298
  • SS850495.JPG
    SS850495.JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 301
  • SS850496.JPG
    SS850496.JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 293
  • SS850497.JPG
    SS850497.JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 305
  • SS850498.JPG
    SS850498.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 296
  • SS850499.JPG
    SS850499.JPG
    88 KB · Views: 298
  • SS850500.JPG
    SS850500.JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 302

Ole Fuzzy

Banned
Did you roast the tomatoes, peppers, etc. first?

Harley45

Did you roast the tomatoes, peppers, etc. first?

We first put the maters in boiling water just long enough to loseing the skin, then pilled them and put them in a blinder, and after everything was mixed (maters, onions, pepers, vinegar, and salsa mix)we brought it to a boil, then we let it simmer for 10-13 minutes. We also put the pint jars, and lids into boiling water, then begin to canning.

We used 1 pack of salsa mix and 1/2 cup of vinegar to 12 cups (12 cups = 6 pints) of mixed maters, pepers, and onions.:cheers:

Last edited:

Harley45

What is the vinegar used for? What is in the salsa mix?

The salsa mix calls for 1/2 cup of vinegar per pack of salsa mix.
The salsa mix ingredients are dehydrated vegetables(onions, bell peppers, jalapenos, chili peppers, garlic) salt and soybean oil.
We just added the fresh peppers, and onions to spice it up.

Last edited:

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!:cool:

SissyHunter

Sounds great. My ex-pa-in-law used to homemade salsa instead of water when making hush puppies. They were mighty good. Yummy stuff there.

wranglerjoe1968

My wife has started making it this year. However she the salsa does not make it to canning. She does not cook any of hers. Do you have to cook it when it is all together? It is real good, in fact the best salsa i have tasted. I looked at the vinegar and we are wondering if lime juice would work like the vinegar? This is our first round but we just went through 2 1/2 pints in 24 hours.

My wife has started making it this year. However she the salsa does not make it to canning. She does not cook any of hers. Do you have to cook it when it is all together? It is real good, in fact the best salsa i have tasted. I looked at the vinegar and we are wondering if lime juice would work like the vinegar? This is our first round but we just went through 2 1/2 pints in 24 hours.

When you say "she does not cook any of hers", I hoe you don't mean that she is not canning in a water bath. You can can fresh salsa -- I do it all the time-- but it has to be canned in a water bath, which will "cook" it to a certain extent. That's why canned salsa never tastes quite like fresh.

As far as the lime or lemon, yes, you can use that for an acidifier. Some recipes call for that. White vinegar provides provides a standard amount of acid, and a relatively neutral taste.

Harley45

If you desided to try this salsa, you can either can it, or freeze it. I think I read on the back of the package that if you freeze it, it would keep up to a year in the freezer.

wranglerjoe1968

When you say "she does not cook any of hers", I hoe you don't mean that she is not canning in a water bath. You can can fresh salsa -- I do it all the time-- but it has to be canned in a water bath, which will "cook" it to a certain extent. That's why canned salsa never tastes quite like fresh.

As far as the lime or lemon, yes, you can use that for an acidifier. Some recipes call for that. White vinegar provides provides a standard amount of acid, and a relatively neutral taste.

So far she is not canning at all. It does not last that long we eat it before she can can it

cmyoung

that looks good bro gonna have to stop by and try it one day