Catch Thread 12/11

sportsman94

This was the day the draw down started. One beaver was all that was caught for me today. Pulled all the beaver sets and just have a couple unproductive slides set still waiting on an otter to come back through. Pulled a handful of canine sets. Pulled into a field to check one set and had a coyote run off. Attractor had been dug at so im guessing he may have been in the process of working it when I interrupted. While I was pulling beaver traps I saw some deer heads bobbing. Had been dumping my beaver carcasses in a catty looking spot behind the dam and checked on them as I drove by. They were covered up this am and that’s when I realized that the bobbing deer heads were actually bobbing kitty heads. I tried to slip in and make sets without them busting, but they got out of there at some point. Put one at the coverer carcass and one about 10 yards away. Maybe I’ll luck into my first cat or the season before I pull traps. Also has one coyote step on the dog of a trap and a couple others come close6F411ADA-643E-4A69-ABB7-E78E1C3F48A3.jpeg

sportsman94

When I first rode by this corner of the dam with the landowner I saw cat and coyote tracks going on the top side. Was super excited and put a set. That bad boy set for a week and a half with no action and no fresh predator tracks until I pulled it yesterday. Not sure if my traffic changed their patterns or what. Speaking of, I have noticed this season that my successful sets have all been ones that I ride by and check at a distance. That’s not to say that the ones I ride close by haven’t been worked, but my catches have all been sets checked from a distance. Probably just a coincidence, but something I’ve paid attention to and will pay a little more attention to on the next place I set

sportsman94

One possum today. Left two traps that were close to the other property I’ll be setting and pulled everything else. Gonna try to let the wind dry some dirt out between now and lunch then will try to start setting the next place

sportsman94

Got 18 sets in the ground at the new place after lunch. Hope to get another 30 or so out tomorrow. The ground out there is nothing but clay so there’s no easy way to set. A lot of 4” dirt holes with grub stakes pounded into them cause I couldn’t dig any deeper and bones were breaking as I tried to pound them in. Ground was too wet to blend flat sets, but I did do a couple.

Here’s a picture of one. A Jake on a drag lies in wait at the triangle of death for a coyote to come by and step in the sweet spot. Lava rock with urine, two piles of pen scrapings that @Mike81 sent me. Good in theory. Probably sit just like that for two weeks. There’s a lot of old poop on this road though so maybe I’ll luck into something

4907BD18-BE7A-40E1-9411-4D790429F9B4.jpeg

Doug B.

Got 18 sets in the ground at the new place after lunch. Hope to get another 30 or so out tomorrow. The ground out there is nothing but clay so there’s no easy way to set. A lot of 4” dirt holes with grub stakes pounded into them cause I couldn’t dig any deeper and bones were breaking as I tried to pound them in. Ground was too wet to blend flat sets, but I did do a couple.

Here’s a picture of one. A Jake on a drag lies in wait at the triangle of death for a coyote to come by and step in the sweet spot. Lava rock with urine, two piles of pen scrapings that @Mike81 sent me. Good in theory. Probably sit just like that for two weeks. There’s a lot of old poop on this road though so maybe I’ll luck into something

View attachment 1196319
Good job getting more sets out. Trapping is a numbers game. The more traps you have out, the more likely you are to catch!

I think I am finally going to get some sets out this weekend. I am really behind this year.

sportsman94

Good job getting more sets out. Trapping is a numbers game. The more traps you have out, the more likely you are to catch!

I think I am finally going to get some sets out this weekend. I am really behind this year.

I look forward to your catches! This will likely be my last hoorah this season. Our second daughter is due January 24 and the midwife told my wife yesterday that she would expect her to be a couple weeks early. May be able to do a short line in late February, but I’m not holding my breath. Either way, it’s been fun, I’ve learned some stuff, and will look forward to next time I can put some in the ground

Doug B.

I look forward to your catches! This will likely be my last hoorah this season. Our second daughter is due January 24 and the midwife told my wife yesterday that she would expect her to be a couple weeks early. May be able to do a short line in late February, but I’m not holding my breath. Either way, it’s been fun, I’ve learned some stuff, and will look forward to next time I can put some in the ground
Well I hate you won't get to trap as much but I'm excited for you and your growing family! Keep us posted and be sure and post pictures of the new princess!

sprewett

Congratulations on your second daughter. Man, what a joy kids are, well most of the time. Hahahaha

2dye4

View attachment 1196319
That looks like primo ground compared to what I have to deal with. I reset some today with hopes, but not to high.

sportsman94

That looks like primo ground compared to what I have to deal with. I reset some today with hopes, but not to high.

Funny as I’m sure it’s always a “grass is always greener” thing with trappers too. When I saw your catch pictures a couple months ago I was thinking man that looks like nice ground. This small patch of sand was surrounded by rock hard clay. Only a couple inches of sand before I hit the clay in this spot. Wouldn’t have been able to drive an anchor and couldn’t find a spot for a dirt hole at this spot because it was too hard!