Cohutta

rigderunner

I hunted 3 days of the gun hunt and 5 days of archery so far. The only thing I saw was the biggest buck I've ever seen in the wild on opening day of archery. We have animals on 6 Cameras, but most of the activity has been at night.
I camped at conasauga 2 weeks ago and seen multiple hogs at night riding around

rigderunner

Say it again! I cannot for the life of me imagine posting all the hunts I go on every year, much less which ones I like or am successful on.
Definitely not gonna post every hunt I go on but is there a problem wondering how other folks done on a hunt that I’ve went on all my life. There’s more than plenty land for everyone who wants to tackle it up there. It’s not like I’m posting gps coordinates or asking for anyone else’s. NOBODY is gonna still your precious spot up there if you say you went I promise.

tree cutter 08

Definitely not gonna post every hunt I go on but is there a problem wondering how other folks done on a hunt that I’ve went on all my life. There’s more than plenty land for everyone who wants to tackle it up there. It’s not like I’m posting gps coordinates or asking for anyone else’s. NOBODY is gonna still your precious spot up there if you say you went I promise.
You won't find me posting anything on here anymore. You wouldn't believe at how good some folks are about doing detective work and will either be sitting in that spot next time you go or walk in on you after your there. They will learn what you drive and go back. Heck some folks will see a vehicle parked and come join you. I guess they scared to be in the woods by themselves? These mountians are in my backyard and I see the increase in hunters in recent years. I run into a few guys 4 miles deep yesterday. That's a long ways and it's been happening more regular the last few years than I would have ever thought

ddd-shooter

You won't find me posting anything on here anymore. You wouldn't believe at how good some folks are about doing detective work and will either be sitting in that spot next time you go or walk in on you after your there. They will learn what you drive and go back. Heck some folks will see a vehicle parked and come join you. I guess they scared to be in the woods by themselves? These mountians are in my backyard and I see the increase in hunters in recent years. I run into a few guys 4 miles deep yesterday. That's a long ways and it's been happening more regular the last few years than I would have ever thought
Preach it brother!

ddd-shooter

More posting= more curiosity= more investigating=more interest=more traffic.
Do you know how many people are looking for a getaway from normalcy? Do you realize how many more people there are compared to the limited number of acres of huntable habitat? This ain't 1990. Not everyone has a lease. Not everyone has granddads old farm to hunt still.
If cohutta is 90k acres, I guarantee you, there is three quarters of it that's not worth hunting. That's just how mountain hunting works.

Joe Brandon

Maybe folks are starting to figure out when they name drop their hunting spots, hunting pressure increases.:huh:
Man that’s 95K acres ain’t nobody worrying about that. I don’t want to hear any more complaining about “we got too many bear up hear their just pest to us natives”. That’s why the dogs get called in. Some of y’all be typing way more than you outside. Anyone want to know some spots on Hooch please PM I will put you on a bear?

rigderunner

More posting= more curiosity= more investigating=more interest=more traffic.
Do you know how many people are looking for a getaway from normalcy? Do you realize how many more people there are compared to the limited number of acres of huntable habitat? This ain't 1990. Not everyone has a lease. Not everyone has granddads old farm to hunt still.
If cohutta is 90k acres, I guarantee you, there is three quarters of it that's not worth hunting. That's just how mountain hunting works.
Like everyone in the state didn’t already know about cohutta wma and it being known for bear and hog. It’s public info that’s spread throughout the state. Just the joys of hunting public land your not gonna save it or keep people off of it because you don’t talk about your hunts. I’m just glad we have the opportunity to hunt it and proud of those who did good or enjoyed themselves

ddd-shooter

Like everyone in the state didn’t already know about cohutta wma and it being known for bear and hog. It’s public info that’s spread throughout the state. Just the joys of hunting public land your not gonna save it or keep people off of it because you don’t talk about your hunts. I’m just glad we have the opportunity to hunt it and proud of those who did good or enjoyed themselves
I know a few adult onset hunters who find hunting areas through forums.
Out of staters find info through forums.
I love our public lands and this forum.
Everyone uses both in different ways.

chrislibby88

The worst joke you could play on some forum scouting, out of stater is to have them thinking the hunting is good up in north GA. Go ahead and post up the steepest, nastiest laurel thicket. 9/10 will take one trip up and never want to come back. It’s just a cycle right now. Some nice deer have been posted from the mountains the past few years, and a lot of folks want to come up and try it.

dhsnke

I hunted/scouted yesterday afternoon. Mainly looking for more spots to hunt the next hunt. About 40 minutes before dark I heard a bear climb a tree down the holler on the other side of a fire break I was hunting next to. I slipped over the on the other side and could see him eye level in the tree about 75 yards from me. I watched him through my scope for about 30 minutes until it got too dark to see him. I guessed about 200lbs. Lucky for him I really have no reason to kill one except for a rug and I was by myself. I can't wait for the next hunt. Maybe I'll run across a nice buck.

jbogg

The worst joke you could play on some forum scouting, out of stater is to have them thinking the hunting is good up in north GA. Go ahead and post up the steepest, nastiest laurel thicket. 9/10 will take one trip up and never want to come back. It’s just a cycle right now. Some nice deer have been posted from the mountains the past few years, and a lot of folks want to come up and try it.

I have mixed emotions about it. I’ve always been a big proponent of new hunter recruitment as I think that will be important if hunters are to have a voice in the future. However, I can’t deny that there has been an enormous increase in public land hunters in the mountains over the past couple of years. I’m not sure if Covid kicked it off, but this year I am seeing flagging ribbon and bright eyes in spots that I have had all to myself for over five years.

With that said, I drove for well over 20 miles on several of the main roads through Chattahoochee national forest on a Saturday afternoon two weeks ago. In all that driving I did not see another truck parked on the side of the road. Maybe everybody was watching college football on that day. There is a ton of land to hunt, but sometimes you just have to find a little spot off the beaten path. The major trail heads and those surrounding areas are Low hanging fruit for the new mountain hunters.

WoodlandScout82

I'm no expert by any means, this is my 6th season of hunting Cohutta primarily. I will say for a fact that it's getting progressively tougher each year and I see more and more trucks each year. This year, I decided to try trail cameras and 2 weeks later, we found a plethora of cameras watching the main access roads, several ladder stands, and yesterday, we found where someone had a climber 100 yards from the truck 5 feet off the gravel road.
I will say that the number of vehicles drops dramatically after the opening day of the gun hunts, and it's a ghost town when it's archery only. I'll also say that when I usually get back to my truck at around 2pm, all those "mountain hunters" are long gone. I imagine they go back to their people and tell stories of their big mountain hunting adventure that lasted for 4 hours.?