Copperheads

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
I would imagine they were in the process of breeding. Every thing else was just a reaction.
Most people who get bit by a copperhead either put there hand somewhere they cant see or step on it.

I would imagine they were in the process of breeding. Every thing else was just a reaction.
Most people who get bit by a copperhead either put there hand somewhere they cant see or step on it.

Or get bit jacking with it, instead of leaving it alone.

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
The rattler in my profile I had on the back rack of my ATV years ago with a bungey. I had cut its head off. It struck me in the back numerous times before I got back to camp to skin it. The first one was quite a shock.

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
The rattler in my profile I had on the back rack of my ATV years ago with a bungey. I had cut its head off. It struck me in the back numerous times before I got back to camp to skin it. The first one was quite a shock.

Guess it is just a random muscle reaction. Snakes are amazing how they keep moving without a head. I have seen a rooster do it too.

oldguy

Used a snapping turtle for in class demo. Cut its head off at 7:00 A.M. Head bit a pencil all day long!. Opened the turtle up so kids could see the internal organs. At 3:00 P.M. you could scratch the ribs and the hind legs would kick!

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
Used a snapping turtle for in class demo. Cut its head off at 7:00 A.M. Head bit a pencil all day long!. Opened the turtle up so kids could see the internal organs. At 3:00 P.M. you could scratch the ribs and the hind legs would kick!
I remember I was always playing with terrapins as a kid. My Papaw would always tell me not to get bit, because he won't let go until it thunders. lol. I think he meant it was going to hold on for a long time.

dirtnap

Might have been close to some ya didn't see . They hide good in them brown leaves .
Idk I’ve been in the woods my whole life and hang around folks that have as well, and me or anyone I know has ever seen one. I really don’t think we have them here, there may be one here or there, but not many at all

redneck_billcollector

Purveyor Of Fine Spirits
I catch them and move them out of my yard. Never kill'em. All my dogs have been bit by them more than a time or two. They are so common, I keep a "snake tongs" by the door. 71494014_10211773923702507_3155157347295297536_n.jpg

redneck_billcollector

Purveyor Of Fine Spirits
Idk I’ve been in the woods my whole life and hang around folks that have as well, and me or anyone I know has ever seen one. I really don’t think we have them here, there may be one here or there, but not many at all
I catch an average of maybe 10 a year in my yard. My next door neighbors have never seen one. They actually are hard to see in most cases, camouflaged rather good. If you are in GA you have them, but like most people, you just do not see them.

Heathern

BANNED
I found 2 separate Copperheads in my back yard last year. They apparently don't come into my dog fence, which is also back there. When I hear birds back there raising cain, I know that they are on the move, and that is how I found each of them the first time, but looking for what the birds were fussing at. I located one (about 30" long), and learned a few things: They are surprisingly docile. More so than any garter, king, or rat snake I have ever run across. All it tried to do was crawl away when I approached it. I even tried to lift it up with a long stick. It never even coiled or got into a striking pose. It wanted nothing at all to do with something that weighed 40-50x what it did.

I found the other one a few weeks later. It was slightly shorter (about 24" long).

I had a little talk with it. I told it that I would not bother it if it didn't bother me, that I would walk around it if I saw it, and asked it not to strike me if I happened to not see it. I said, "Don't start no Stuff; won't be no Stuff". I joke about actually talking to it, but it seems like I really had - my backyard dogs have never been bitten, and my veterinarian daughter tells me that it isn't the end of their world if they do. Plus, they are 80-100 lb dogs, so that helps some. I do keep a very close eye out when I am walking back there.

Unless I see them in my dog fence, I will just leave them be. If I find one in there, then I will catch it with my snake stick, and take it away to some woods and let it go there.

They have a very beautiful color pattern on them. I have seen quite a few of them in the woods, but have never seen a rattler or a cottonmouth, despite all the time I spend in the woods on/in the water. I've seen lots and lots of watersnakes, though.

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
I was toting a big timber rattler out of the woods one spring that I had whooped with a pine knot, and cut the head off of. While I was carrying it out, that thang struck me on the back of my hand and left a bloody mark . I about ruint my drawers. And to make matters worse before I got back to the truck, as soon as my I stepped across a log, my buddy called me on my phone. I had an old flip phone set on vibrate in my pocket. That phone was setting on my truck keys in my pocket and rattled, I squealed like a little girl and dropped that snake. That snake about got me 3 times.:banginghe
I nominate this for post of the year. I've been ticked about 5 minutes over this one!

dirtnap

I catch an average of maybe 10 a year in my yard. My next door neighbors have never seen one. They actually are hard to see in most cases, camouflaged rather good. If you are in GA you have them, but like most people, you just do not see them.
I think there’s more to it than not seeing them, according to the range map our part of southeast Georgia is not in their territory

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
Seen a bunch of snakes in the last 78 years, none pretty or good. Been bit by a sidewinder, and had a Cobra crawl across my leg in Nam.
The Lord and I don't see eye to eye when it comes to those critters.
Killed two small copperheads on the green of number 8 at Flat Creek Golf Club last year. They were about 12" long and succumbed to a 9 iron.

Reminds me of a story from about 20 years ago. We were headed toward Moultrie and were a few miles south of Cordele, and pulled onto a dirt road right before you get to a bridge, to heed a nature call. Must have ran over the 3 foot rattler and he was about 5 feet from my shoes when I got out, and was angry and hurt. I got back in my truck and moved it further away from the snake. I told my son to hand me one of my golf clubs from the back of my truck so I could finish it off. Of all things he handed me my Two Iron. I sad son I aint never hit nothing with that thing, hand me my driver.