CPJ signs contract extension

Jody Hawk

Tech coach Johnson signs contract extension
By DOUG ROBERSON

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Georgia Tech football coach Paul Johnson has signed a one-year contract extension that will take his contract through 2016. Johnson has guided the No. 7 Yellow Jackets to a 10-1 record this season. He is 19-5 at Tech.

The Yellow Jackets will host Georgia on Nov. 28 and will play for the ACC championship on Dec. 5 in Tampa.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/georgia-tech/tech-coach-johnson-signs-207072.html

http://ramblinwreck.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/112009aaa.html

Hooked On Quack

REV`REND DR LUV
Glad they didn't throw in the tanning bed like UGA did for Richt, thing done fried the golden boys mind!!:D

LanierSpots

Jody, do you think CPJ put a little pressure on GT or do you think they offered him that change to keep him there? Either way, it was a good move for both..

Jody Hawk

Jody, do you think CPJ put a little pressure on GT or do you think they offered him that change to keep him there? Either way, it was a good move for both..

Lanier,
This pretty much says it all.

Tech’s expert AD sends Paul Johnson yet another love note
4:26 pm November 20, 2009, by Mark Bradley

One more year tacked onto a contract that already had six years to run won’t keep Paul Johnson from going to Notre Dame — or to Oklahoma, should Bob Stoops wind up in South Bend — should PJ want to leave. Georgia Tech will never be able to outspend the big boys. (Example: Even with Johnson’s deal having been redone twice in 11 months, Mark Richt still makes more.)

But that wasn’t the intent of the one-more-year tack. This was designed as a love note, a reminder that nobody anywhere is going to love PJ more than the folks at GT. As Dan Radakovich noted in the official release: “We remain committed to Paul in every way, and we foresee a long-term relationship with much continued success.”

We knew already that Tech has a splendid football coach. What was evident with Friday’s announcement is that the Institute’s athletics director is every bit as good. Homer Rice was a great AD. Vince Dooley was a great AD. D-Rad is cut from that same regal cloth.

Hiring a splendid coach is only half the battle. The care and feeding of that man is the trickier part. How long do you wait to renegotiate? (With PJ, D-Rad waited less than a calendar year, and that proactivity was warranted because Auburn was believed to have offered Johnson a blank check.) But Notre Dame once deemed Charlie Weis was the real deal, and now it’s facing an elephantine buyout. You have to be quick, but you also have to be right.

An AD has to read both the terrain and his constituency, and Radakovich has done that since Day 1. You’ll recall that certain of Tech’s big contributors — the Old Guard — were displeased when D-Rad was hired over Bill Curry. Within six months, those same folks could be heard to say of Radakovich, “We’ve got ourselves a star.”

Radakovich gets that Johnson isn’t just a good coach but the right coach. He’s beloved by Tech backers both old and new, and he has done in two years what Chan Gailey couldn’t do in six — he has made Georgia and Richt play catch-up ball. It was instructive that one of Radakovich’s first hires was Wayne Hogan, who as associate AD for public relations has a politician’s ear and a journalist’s nose. Between D-Rad and Hogan, Tech is rarely surprised by developments and seems to hit every grace note.

And that’s what this added year is — a grace note. It’s Tech sending another bouquet to PJ. It’s Dan Radakovich saying, “You might make more money somewhere else, but you’ll never find a better fit.”

LanierSpots

I see. But for me, I would not hang myself out there like that. Though Johnson is dont well now, you just never know what he is going to do in the future. I know it looks like he is a unreal coach but who knows how he could change.

Tubbs was undefeated in 2004 for us and in 2008, he sucked something aweful.... Other coaches have been through that. They do change.

Personally, I dont think Stoops will end up at ND. No way he leaves the gravy train at OU..

Good deal

doenightmare

Gone But Not Forgotten
I see. But for me, I would not hang myself out there like that. Though Johnson is dont well now, you just never know what he is going to do in the future. I know it looks like he is a unreal coach but who knows how he could change.

Tubbs was undefeated in 2004 for us and in 2008, he sucked something aweful.... Other coaches have been through that. They do change.

Personally, I dont think Stoops will end up at ND. No way he leaves the gravy train at OU..

Good deal

CPJ was very consistent at Navy and GA Southern - don't think he will tank but may have some down years. I still think Auburn will regret forcing Tubbs out - JMHO.

Jody Hawk

Tubbs was undefeated in 2004 for us and in 2008, he sucked something aweful....

Remember though, Tubbs changed his offense in 2008, not a chance CPJ will ever run the West Coast Offense. I don't see CPJ ever tanking either. The man won two national titles at Georgia Southern, had a 10 win season at the Naval Academy. That's a pretty good resume. :clap:

LanierSpots

Remember though, Tubbs changed his offense in 2008,. :clap:

Yea, but that was not Tommys downfall. His loss of leadership was. He stopped recruiting and had no talent. We are suffering this year with only 70 scholarship players due to him. He did not recruit well in his last few years and had big troubles with a few other offensive coords. Just bad head coaching.

He was a good coach but I think the change was needed

AU Bassman

I see no comparison between CPJ and CTT. Kinda like comparing apples to oranges. Tubs was a CEO type of coach where Johnson appears to be very hands on. You don't see Paul Johnson quietly walking up and down the sideline arms folded. Johnson is into the game and up in players faces most of the time.
The bottom line is recruiting and with that comes the won loss record. As long as Johnson can bring in the type of players to run his system and can win doing it he is probobly at GT another four or five years. Like it or not Johnsons track record over the years would indicate that he builds a winner and then moves on. Honestly I don't think he is about money so much as he is about the challenge. If johnson puts a couple of ACC championships and BCS bowls together the next couple of years some bigger program will throw some some money and a bigger challenge at him and he will be gone. Nothing personal, just the natural order of things.

Jody Hawk

If johnson puts a couple of ACC championships and BCS bowls together the next couple of years some bigger program will throw some some money and a bigger challenge at him and he will be gone. Nothing personal, just the natural order of things.

Not always the case, Jim Grobe won the ACC at Wake. He's turned down more money at bigger programs. :huh: I think with CPJ, the deal was getting to the level that he could compete for BCS championships. He's at that level now. :huh:

AU Bassman

Jeesh Hawk, I don't know you personally but if I did'nt know better I'd say you got a big time man crush on your football coach there chief.
You think they will bury him under grant field at the end of his fifty year coaching stint at GT?:rofl:
Just kiddin with you Hawk!!! Enjoy your teams success! Ride this wave as long as you can cause nothing lasts forever.:cheers:

Marks500

Told you guys he wasnt going anywhere anytime soon... Looks Like he got a nice pay raise too..

Marks500

Only change was the length of contract, the $$$ stayed the same. :huh:

I thought I saw he was getting 11million...and with the One year extension he is getting like 17 million now? I may have misread.