Deer Antlers

Wetzel

What do you do with the antlers from the bucks you shoot? Would you ever consider getting rid of any of them?

I use to nail the antlers up under the overhang on a building in my yard but I've stopped doing this a few years ago since the antlers quickly fade in the weather and are not as pleasent to look at. I still have alot of them hung up; its amazing at the small bucks I use to shoot and think that I really had something. Since then I've just kept them in my basement in my reloading room and I've started being much more particular about what gets shot and what gets to keep going.

Although I've never shot many deer that most people would call a really nice deer, I've shot several that I've been very proud of. I couldn't imagine ever getting rid of any of them, regardless of how big, or small, some of them are.

Harvester

One still has the head on it, some are hanging on a gun rack in the bedroom, others are in the huntin room on the floor with one set in the woods by a stand for rattling. I have gotten rid of two racks that i can think of. one was borrowed by my son when he was 2 and never found. Another was taken by some dogs :cry:

marknga

GONetwork Member
I keep em, wish I had somewhere to hang em. I do have one deer mounted and my Mulie horns on a board, the rest are out in the garage. Not many but a few.
Wornout Trails has alot of his on his pole barn, I will try to find a picture.

Mark

fasn8nmom

I have seen folks that know how to weave baskets and the such incorporate the antlers into the handle of baskets. I have also seen candle sticks and such made from antlers.
The baskets are what I'm working toward. Just gotta find somebody that still knows how to weave one.

huntfish

A club member got really excited about finding a 8 point still attached to the skull. He was stated that it was a shame that the animal died in the field. I showed him pictures, It was my buck, I'm not carrying out extra weight for nothing.

P.S. I have a box full of antlers in the basement.

raghorn

HardCoreHunter said:
Sound to me like you do have something. Taking pride in what you have killed is being a true sportsman.
Truer words never spoken. I like killing big bucks as much as anyone (although my experience is limited:rofl: ) , Ithink we put too much emphasis on head gear. I am at the point that I say if it makes you happy,go for it. Its all about personal satisfaction.

Bucky T

GONetwork Member
I used to have a huge stash of horns in the basement. My dad however felt bad for some guy at the gas station who said he was out of work, but made bone handle knives. The old man gave him most of my deer horns not long after I went to college.

Now I have a few racks and mostly sheds laying around. The day's of brown it's down have been over for a while, so I never really got my collection back up to par!!!

Tommy

BOWHUNTER!

Don't think i could part with any of them. No matter what the size. Those things are pysical memories for me. I can pick up one of my spikes or 6 pointers and remember seeing it coming through the woods. They are what our deer hunting dreams are made of :fine:

Rock Bottom

I've got a box full and wouldn't think of getting rid of any of them

Pictures are good but it's great being able to pick up a set of horns and remember the hunt

doe shooter

I keep some and give some away to nephews and grandsons. Several of the older ones I nailed to shed have been chewed up by the squirrels. I also have a set for rattling and have given some away to be used for rattleing.