Did you reload anything today #3

Status
Not open for further replies.

furtaker

Yeah realistically out at 100yds and beyond those bullets are moving 1800fps and slower.
I had opportunities to buy 336s for $200-$250, and not that long ago. Guys came into my business knowing I hunted and would ask if I was interested. Usually after hunting season and before Xmas, or whenever paying their utilities got more important than beer, lolol.
Yeah I don't think I'd take a shot past 100yds with one.

menhadenman

I have a book by Ed Matunas written in probably the early 90s and I remember him badmouthing the 35 and saying that the bullets didn't expand properly. I also remember a kid in elementary school talking about the big exit holes he got from his 35 but he was always known to be a liar anyway.

Bullets have come a long way in recent years but it still takes a pretty soft bullet to perform properly at 2000-2100fps.

I remember probably 8 years ago picking up and looking at a JM Marlin 35 that was in pristine condition at a local gun shop. I think they had $499 on it. They probably would have taken $425-450.
I killed a good pile of deer in eastern NC in my younger years with a 35 and trust me, they stack em high. I recall one at about 50 yds that had no less than 10 yds of blood spray off the opposite side. I’d shoot an elk with one if I knew he’d be inside of 100 yds.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
I killed a good pile of deer in eastern NC in my younger years with a 35 and trust me, they stack em high. I recall one at about 50 yds that had no less than 10 yds of blood spray off the opposite side. I’d shoot an elk with one if I knew he’d be inside of 100 yds.
Within their limits they are no doubt capable. The 200gr FTX looks interesting. The good BC is supposed to have it hit 1" to 2" low at 200yds with a 1" High at 100yds sight in.

furtaker

Yeah I wouldn't hesitate at all to hunt with one in the thick stuff where I do a large portion of my hunting.

They always had a reputation for being a hard hitting round at close range.

furtaker

Within their limits they are no doubt capable. The 200gr FTX looks interesting. The good BC is supposed to have it hit 1" to 2" low at 200yds with a 1" High at 100yds sight in.
That's probably a great bullet for the 35 but to me it just doesn't look right unless it's loaded with a 200gr round nose. :cool:

But I've never even fired one. :bounce:

Dub

Well, only needed one bullet after all. 7 RM and IMR 4350, 215 yds. Quartering to me, bullet exactly in front of right shoulder and exited exactly behind the opposite one. Flopped a few feet back and that was all she wrote. Buddy got a dandy too. We’ll be scouting for next year rest of the week maybe shoot a yote.

View attachment 1179379
View attachment 1179381

Well done !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mighty well done.

That has to be a very gratifying feeling tagging out on a solid kill and having time to relax and see the sights.

One bullet used. Awesome.

rosewood

That's probably a great bullet for the 35 but to me it just doesn't look right unless it's loaded with a 200gr round nose. :cool:

But I've never even fired one. :bounce:
How is this?
8282022231714.jpg

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Found these on Gunbroker after striking out everywhere else. I have a Pre-64 M70 that will put them within an inch of each other.
20220930_150223.jpg

Jester896

Senior Clown
Hello

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Dub

Hello

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Been out a couple years now, I believe.

Sure beats a kinetic hammer puller.

LOUD, from what I've heard.

Jester896

Senior Clown
anything beats a kinetic hammer...is it louder than a kinetic hammer beating on the concrete or a steel plate?

yeah that video review was 2 years ago..I just haven't seen it for some reason

weagle

Loaded some .358 win with a mild load of IMR 4895 and the 180gr Barnes. This bullet is intended for .35 rem velocities and my chronograph says I'm right at 2200 MV out of my 16 1/4" barreled Savage. I contacted Barnes and they said they have tested them up to 2200. They expand down to 1400 fps which gets me out past 200 yds.IMG_2743.jpeg

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Loaded some .358 win with a mild load of IMR 4895 and the 180gr Barnes. This bullet is intended for .35 rem velocities and my chronograph says I'm right at 2200 MV out of my 16 1/4" barreled Savage. I contacted Barnes and they said they have tested them up to 2200. They expand down to 1400 fps which gets me out past 200 yds.View attachment 1179967
What a combo! Super Nice.

menhadenman

Made it home from the great west… and 39 out of my 40 bullets (wound up glassing elk and scouting deer instead of shooting).

Found the elusive Benchmark arrived after several years of looking. Another solid option for heavy 223 and 6.5G. I’ll have to try some in the 308 just for fun.

931E1C9B-9FB8-446E-B120-1971124FA003.jpeg47735ABF-627F-41AB-93E7-9E8666D3597F.jpeg

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Made it home from the great west… and 39 out of my 40 bullets (wound up glassing elk and scouting deer instead of shooting).

Found the elusive Benchmark arrived after several years of looking. Another solid option for heavy 223 and 6.5G. I’ll have to try some in the 308 just for fun.

View attachment 1180174View attachment 1180175
Did you have an Elk tag and pass on that one?

Status
Not open for further replies.