Did you reload anything today #3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jester896

Senior Clown
These have focusing on the straight and angled eyepieces so the straight can be used on its own.

funny...I have only ever used the straight. I just priced the angle adapter at $345 from my source and $302.99 from MidWayUSA. Gradient makes them. Maybe I will look through the straight a few more years ;)

The correction would be nice though when using the mirror.

frankwright

9 MM Bullets in a .38 Spl?
The other day I was loading some Ibejihead 124 gr pointy nose bullets in 9mm and I got to thinking that these pointy bullets would fly from my speedloader into the cylinders during competition.
I had always heard if you tried this the smaller 9mm bullet would just rattle down the .357 barrel like a golf ball in a trash can and accuracy would be all over the place.
But I had to try.
I loaded 30 rounds using Clean shot powder and went to the range today also with some loaded 160 gr RN bullets to give it a try.
I got back about 10 yards shooting at a 3" shoot n see disc and let six fly of the 9mm bullets. Accuracy was simply great. I started alternating six of each bullet back and forth and there was no degradation of accuracy.
So, at least in my case a .356 was just as accuratSpeed Loaders 2022.jpge as a .357 in my S&W Model 66!

rmp

funny...I have only ever used the straight. I just priced the angle adapter at $345 from my source and $302.99 from MidWayUSA. Gradient makes them. Maybe I will look through the straight a few more years ;)

The correction would be nice though when using the mirror.

That’s way more than I expected.
I bought mine with the eye piece and it works very well for inspecting chambers, throats, etc without removing from the stock. Quick checks on cleaning and fouling. Actually paid for itself in time savings.
I really like the groove they cut in the knurled section on the mirror sleeve. Letting you know which direction you’re looking as you spin the mirror. Great piece of kit!

Jester896

Senior Clown
@rmp mine has that as well but the image is reversed when using the mirror tube. In reading, the angled adapter corrects the reverse image...that would be nice for my normal uses for it. I'm starting to get used to thinking backwards with my work. I wish the Teslong was as easy to focus as a Hawkeye.

Reactions: rmp

Jester896

Senior Clown
I thought that I would share this with all of you since I found it kinda funny..

I tried to crank my 4-wheeler after rebuilding my carb last weekend. When I put it back on it fired right off and I rode it down the ditch line and back a few times..a little frustrating to say the least...anyway

I dumped the .280 brass I needed to size for my buddy through my S/B die set into my plastic shoe box and lubed it. They were pretty blown out in front of the case head so he wanted me to do that. I screwed the die down to contact...then 1/8 turn more. I ran a case and it looked like it was going to push the shoulders back about .005 so I was going to let it ride. It was a little hard to get the case over the expander and I felt like the cases were still a little wet from the alcohol. I waited a few more minutes and shook them some more. I got about 6 cases run when I said to myself...these need more lube....that was about the same second things came to a screeching halt. I pulled the handle the opposite way just a touch and the rim ripped off. I sprayed the cases again.

It took me over 20 minutes to get that case out of that die with my home made case puller. Just rubbed a little of the black off the side of the decapping pin with the drill bit going in I found out when I got the stem out. I should have taken it all the way out before I started. I cut the case with my tubing cutter and recovered my expander ball that was lodged into the neck. I think I will let the case sit for a bit longer.

just a reminder that small base dies lock onto the case much harder. This is the 3rd stuck case (of mine) I've had in 15+ years...I still don't want it to happen again. I'm sure that @chase870 will appreciate this tale along with some of the rest of you.

the follies are real

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
I break out the Imperial Wax when using the SB dies

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
I normally do mine that way when doing up to 100. When I have more than that and it isn't real clean I do it with the spray bottle like I do with .223

don't think I have ever stuck a case with wax.
I can definitely appreciate the need to use something quicker when doing bulk. That wax is my go to for brass that needs to be worked more than usual and has always worked like magic for me also. Lg batches would be tedious.

Last edited:

rosewood

I use One Case Lube and my homemade spray with .223 and pistol brass when needed. I tried the One Case with larger rifle cases and found it doesn't do so well, so I use the Unique lube on big cases and it has solved any sticking issues.

Rosewood

rosewood

I needed some 38-55 brass. Can't find any anywhere so I decided to convert 30-30 brass. They don't make a die for doing that since the Lee die set doesn't have an expander ball. I ordered a 375 H&H expander ball and put in the Lee sizing die. Had to cut the tip of the die off because it was too long so it would work to "blow the case mouth out". After the test with the initial 7 cases and a test fire, I decided to make some more cases. Stepped sized the cases using a .33 expander ball/decapper then put in the .375 expander. Dang thing got stuck so tight I couldn't move it either way and the larger rimmed brass didn't rip off like you would have expected thankfully. Finally loosened the expander ball collet and it came right out. Sprayed some one shot in the neck with the expander ball stuck then inserted a little bit into die to tighten the collet and was able to pull it out then. To start with, I thought I didn't have enough lube, but that didn't fix it. After some tinkering, I figured out the expander must have been too high in the die and was binding between the inside of the die and the ball, so I resided to just running the sizer ball far enough in to get past the bottle neck and then ran the case into the die without the ball to make sure the outside was even. All is well now. I have 20 cases cleaned and ready to load up for more range testing now. Glad the forming only has to be done one time.

After having to replace/fit parts on the Marlin 93, casting my own boolits and powder coating and forming my own brass, the 1st range trip was exciting. Something special about all of that yourself and it shooting well. Now I have to fine tune my load and I really want to harvest a whitetail with it. The gun is 100 years old also.

Rosewood

Last edited:

rosewood

I thought that I would share this with all of you since I found it kinda funny..

I tried to crank my 4-wheeler after rebuilding my carb last weekend. When I put it back on it fired right off and I rode it down the ditch line and back a few times..a little frustrating to say the least...anyway

I dumped the .280 brass I needed to size for my buddy through my S/B die set into my plastic shoe box and lubed it. They were pretty blown out in front of the case head so he wanted me to do that. I screwed the die down to contact...then 1/8 turn more. I ran a case and it looked like it was going to push the shoulders back about .005 so I was going to let it ride. It was a little hard to get the case over the expander and I felt like the cases were still a little wet from the alcohol. I waited a few more minutes and shook them some more. I got about 6 cases run when I said to myself...these need more lube....that was about the same second things came to a screeching halt. I pulled the handle the opposite way just a touch and the rim ripped off. I sprayed the cases again.

It took me over 20 minutes to get that case out of that die with my home made case puller. Just rubbed a little of the black off the side of the decapping pin with the drill bit going in I found out when I got the stem out. I should have taken it all the way out before I started. I cut the case with my tubing cutter and recovered my expander ball that was lodged into the neck. I think I will let the case sit for a bit longer.

just a reminder that small base dies lock onto the case much harder. This is the 3rd stuck case (of mine) I've had in 15+ years...I still don't want it to happen again. I'm sure that @chase870 will appreciate this tale along with some of the rest of you.

the follies are real
Don't you just hate it when your plans are ruined by something not going they way you planned. Stuck case, missing die that takes 2 hours to find, stuck screw etc. Amazing how much time something that is so simple can cost you. Really teaches you patience.

Rosewood

Last edited:

Dub

Don't you just hate it when your plans are ruined by something not going they way you planned. Stuck case, missing die that takes 2 hours to find, stuck screw etc. Amazing how much time something that is so simple can cost you. Really teaches you patience.

Rosewood

My Dad, Grandfathers and my Uncle Bill taught me patience as a boy....fishing, hunting, spearfishing, etc.

Middle-age life tests that patience on a near daily basis. :rofl: Like you said....always something small that'll put a halt on progress.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
My Dad, Grandfathers and my Uncle Bill taught me patience as a boy....fishing, hunting, spearfishing, etc.

Middle-age life tests that patience on a near daily basis. :rofl: Like you said....always something small that'll put a halt on progress.
Life gives the Test first and the Lesson later.

Dub

Life gives the Test first and the Lesson later.

My small test of patience occurred this morning.

7F173755-EC28-4E75-9EE1-8ADC4A9EA94A.jpeg
Sat down with my first mug of coffee on this first day off……had my wife’s hair dryer plugged into the outlet next to my recliner……was all ready to install the Talon grip tape on my P320…….

Reached over for the spray bottle of denatured alcohol I keep on the chest beside my chair…with the gun oil…..it wasn’t there.

Had to go up into the future man cave and root around to find my 2nd bottle and then back downstairs for another cup of coffee and to get the frame prepped and the grip tape adhesive warmed up and finished.

My morning smiffin’ project completed. Dis cat has a grippier gat.

B0C3146D-999D-423B-9D97-38FA4B9E2C4A.jpeg

Where did the chairside spray bottle go ????

That will perplex me all day.

In the past such stuff could be attributed to some good rum drinks or suds ?

Don’t have that excuse anymore. Either I have a haint running amuck or my son dropped by while I was at work and did something to it.

I refuse to accept that I randomly misplaced it. :rofl:

Edit: before this bottle walked off….went ahead and did another gun with the grip tape.

Ugly, yet hopefully effective.

04B10BED-11E6-4927-A094-865937A555AD.jpeg

Last edited:

rosewood

Maybe a dog took it?

Reactions: Dub

Adam5

My .45 Colt die set arrived today. I sized the 50 that I fired on Saturday, and belled those, oblong with the 152 new Starline that I bought. All 152 were primed with Federal 150 primers and are ready to load. I also have 100 fired brass that I ordered from Mojo Brass that are in route.

Attachments

• 68813807-C043-4D07-BDC4-DC8A9AF74A64.jpeg
    68813807-C043-4D07-BDC4-DC8A9AF74A64.jpeg
    498.5 KB · Views: 0
Status
Not open for further replies.