Did you reload anything today #5

Jester896

Senior Clown
I have an Annealezz and so does one of my buddies...he also has one he built from a YouTube video...the other one has a Ken Light and it is set up with a Dillon case feeder to do .223 and .308. I've seen the AMP work at shows...pretty impressive and quick.

I have several sets of the wheels for the one I have. I can do Dashers with one set and WSM with another set.

Dub

Finally got around to a project that has been waiting.
I'd previously mounted a scope & sighted-in with factory 130gr ammo... then locked it up in the safe for too long.

I wasn't really fond of the trigger and replaced it this afternoon.

IMG_5108.jpeg

Easy install and easily adjusted.
Zero creep, instant wall.
Light & crisp break.
IMG_5111.jpeg

Now it's ready to get some range time.

I'll likely not be using these Speer bullets to hunt, but maybe the findings of a successful load workup with them will yield a good starting point for the 130gr Partitions that are stashed away.

Image 6-27-24 at 7.55 PM.jpeg

Used Speer data, cross referenced with Nosler's & Sierra's.

I had 46 new Winchester cases that had already been annealed, trimmed, chamfered & deburred. They were used in nine incremental loads....with 0.4gr increases.

IMG_5115.jpegIMG_5119.jpegIMG_5123.jpeg

IMG_5122.jpeg

Hopefully will shoot them next week. (y)

Jester896

Senior Clown
those look good
not sure I wouldn't hunt with a Speer bullet if it was accurate. Grand Slams heavies have killed many a deer...the Hot Cores probably have too...the TNTs have bloodied many a Prairie Dog...I might wager that the 130 and 150gr 30-30s did a good deal of deer damage. There are a good many in my shelf from .22-30 cal.

menhadenman

I have an Annealezz and so does one of my buddies...he also has one he built from a YouTube video...the other one has a Ken Light and it is set up with a Dillon case feeder to do .223 and .308. I've seen the AMP work at shows...pretty impressive and quick.

I have several sets of the wheels for the one I have. I can do Dashers with one set and WSM with another set.
So you give a thumbs up on the Annealeez?

menhadenman

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
If you are patient and look around you’ll find a good used Anealeez cheaper than that, at least I did.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Type with great caution if you Google search that'n...... :hair:
If you type it wrong don’t post links here. :rofl:

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Another harbor freight mark down, make a nice range bag.

Reactions: Dub

Mauser

I'd previously mounted a scope & sighted-in with factory 130gr ammo... then locked it up in the safe for too long.

View attachment 1314634

Light & crisp break.
View attachment 1314635

I'll likely not be using these Speer bullets to hunt, but maybe the findings of a successful load workup with them will yield a good starting point for the 130gr Partitions that are stashed away.

View attachment 1314636

I had 46 new Winchester cases that had already been annealed, trimmed, chamfered & deburred. They were used in nine incremental loads....with 0.4gr increases.

View attachment 1314637View attachment 1314638View attachment 1314639

View attachment 1314640

Ain’t a thing wrong with those hot cors,if they’re accurate in your rifle. 150s in our three 308s are a deer killing machine at 2890fps.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Guys, y’all got me thinking a little differently about things these days
Sometime back I sold all my odd caliber guns and focus on .308 and .223/5.56 rifles. This cuts costs and simplifies things a lot. I will not likely hunt moose or grizzly in my lifetime. I may get a timber shot an elk as my wife’s family is out west. There’s plenty of black bears on the land I deer hunt, so that’s a real possibility. I just don’t like the thump of the big magnum rifles at this age. Hence, the 45/70 is long gone.

This leads to a long term project I’m considering. After checking the numbers and my component inventory, I’m considering a .358 Winchester investment. The bigger .35 caliber bullet would give me more energy using powders I stock for the .308 already. The kick would jump from 16-18 ft lbs to about 25 lbs but not the 35-40 ft lbs of the Whelen. My .308 brass is convertible to .358 by expanding the neck during sizing. I may just buy new .358 brass if I go this way just for the head stamp issue, undecided here. That leaves rifle, dies and bullets to get me in the .358 caliber business. Not looking to be talked out of this, wrong crowd for that. What else should I be considering?

Liberty

Taken from range report posted by @Buckstop

@Buckstop 's target pics...
View attachment 1314454View attachment 1314455View attachment 1314456

Great looking results @Buckstop

I'd never have thought that a .020" change in seating depth would take a group from 1.5" down to overlapping holes. :cheers:

Great looking results.

Question for everyone @BriarPatch99 @Jester896 @rosewood @menhadenman @Ruger#3 @deerslayer357 @Bobby Bigtime @Adam5 @Deerhead @Geezer Ray @bullethead @chase870 @Liberty @Mauser @SC Hunter @bullgator @jnorton @Bowyer29
@Darkhorse
@rmp

......what effect, if any, does bullet seating depth have on throat erosion ?
It is my opinion that pressure and velocity cause throat erosion, but bullet jump doesn’t necessarily lead to decreased accuracy within reason. Almost everyone has come across a factory rifle (long throat in most recent production) that shoots great with a factory load. Most service rifle shooters will tell you that chasing the lands is a fools errand, and I agree. Some bullets are more susceptible to needing the right jump to shoot well. I’d play with seating depth safely if needed before changing bullets. All that said, I only shoot from a bench working up loads, zeroing sights, or getting my dope at known ranges. I’m the weak link slung and prone or with my rifle hanging out of a deer blind, not the equipment. Someone shooting F Class or Benchrest likely has another perspective.

Liberty

Guys, y’all got me thinking a little differently about things these days
Sometime back I sold all my odd caliber guns and focus on .308 and .223/5.56 rifles. This cuts costs and simplifies things a lot. I will not likely hunt moose or grizzly in my lifetime. I may get a timber shot an elk as my wife’s family is out west. There’s plenty of black bears on the land I deer hunt, so that’s a real possibility. I just don’t like the thump of the big magnum rifles at this age. Hence, the 45/70 is long gone.

This leads to a long term project I’m considering. After checking the numbers and my component inventory, I’m considering a .358 Winchester investment. The bigger .35 caliber bullet would give me more energy using powders I stock for the .308 already. The kick would jump from 16-18 ft lbs to about 25 lbs but not the 35-40 ft lbs of the Whelen. My .308 brass is convertible to .358 by expanding the neck during sizing. I may just buy new .358 brass if I go this way just for the head stamp issue, undecided here. That leaves rifle, dies and bullets to get me in the .358 caliber business. Not looking to be talked out of this, wrong crowd for that. What else should I be considering?
I’d consider a 30-06 with 180 grain bonded/ copper bullets before getting into 35 caliber for the purposes you’re listing to compliment the .308. This advice is coming from someone who could care less about having oddballs because I’ve worked for over 30 years to enjoy life and have a few toys. Do what makes you happy responsibly before you can’t. I sure wouldn’t have 35 caliber bullets stuffed into .308 cases if anyone else could get their hands on them (grandkids that aren’t firearms experts after I die). I pulled down my 8x57 made from .270 brass for this reason a few years ago.

Liberty

View attachment 1314634

Light & crisp break.
View attachment 1314635

View attachment 1314636

View attachment 1314637View attachment 1314638View attachment 1314639

View attachment 1314640

A Speer Hotcor is a fine hunting bullet!