Did you reload anything today #5

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I’d consider a 30-06 with 180 grain bonded/ copper bullets before getting into 35 caliber for the purposes you’re listing to compliment the .308. This advice is coming from someone who could care less about having oddballs because I’ve worked for over 30 years to enjoy life and have a few toys. Do what makes you happy responsibly before you can’t. I sure wouldn’t have 35 caliber bullets stuffed into .308 cases if anyone else could get their hands on them (grandkids that aren’t firearms experts after I die). I pulled down my 8x57 made from .270 brass for this reason a few years ago.
Thanks for the response. If I went that root I’d probably go to the .35 whelen and be done with it. I don’t have to worry about kids getting access . All brass and ammo is labeled in my stores. I know what you mean as I’ve worked 50 years in my trade. I still try to simply and save a buck when I can.

Jester896

Senior Clown
I don't see why the .308 wouldn't work with say a heavier Partition or even a little heavier say 165 solid and a well placed shot. I know my friends daughter uses a 375 H&H on the 700# ones in NC...not sure it is necessary

SC Hunter

A 308 with a good bullet will hammer an elk and black bear with no issue. I've also sold alot of the last few years to thin things down from 9 or 10 chamberings to 3 or 4 centerfire calibers. I don't ever see me needing anything bigger than a 30-06 which the family has a few. But I almost bought a 300 the other day just because it was a good price. My next investment is going to be a reloading set up, I'd shoot alot more if I reloaded for my 6.5 and 308's.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I don't see why the .308 wouldn't work with say a heavier Partition or even a little heavier say 165 solid and a well placed shot. I know my friends daughter uses a 375 H&H on the 700# ones in NC...not sure it is necessary
Yeah, I agree, I already have some 165 Barnes TTSX I could load for deer and bear or even elk. That will do the job and not have add a caliber.IMG_2842.png

Jester896

Senior Clown
@Ruger#3 here are a couple of loaded .308 Arrow I piked out of brass today. They were made to run in an AR like 6.8 and Grendel.
IMG_2236.jpg
any body want to guess what happened to the 300 Win Mag case on the right?

I finished one bucket of .45ACP brass and got it cleaned. Here is some of it drying in the sun drier we had.
IMG_2232.jpg
IMG_2237.jpg

got the last of the second bucket in the washing machine and the first half on the floor with a fan blowing on it. Mr. Rain Shower came and Mr sun went inside for a minute so we couldn't sun dry them.
IMG_2234.jpg

I found 2 cases of these on the table so I stole 5 boxes fair and square.
IMG_2235.jpg

menhadenman

@Ruger#3 a wiser older feller once told me you only need three rifles:

- 308 or 30-06

I think he was right.

I’ve taken that approach with my handguns - slimming down to

- 9 mm
- 357/38 (revolver)
- 45 ACP

There is a reason these are all legends. Reinventing the wheel is hard.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member

- 308 or 30-06

I think he was right.

- 9 mm
- 357/38 (revolver)
- 45 ACP

Thats what I did a few years back when the madness started, got rid of the odd calibers. Additionally, aging makes shooting magnums less fun.

I have…

.223 Wylde
.308 Win

Handguns

9MM

menhadenman

Thats what I did a few years back when the madness started, got rid of the odd calibers. Additionally, aging makes shooting magnums less fun.

I have…

.223 Wylde
.308 Win

Handguns

9MM
That’s a good list… I sold my only 380 though since the compact 9s kinda changed that game, plus ammo $$$. And it’s really similar all told (aka 9 mm short).

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Yeah, I may get a compact 9 MM at some point. For now I carry the .380 when situation requires. A compact 9 would simplify things even more.

Liberty

- 308 or 30-06

I think he was right.

- 9 mm
- 357/38 (revolver)
- 45 ACP

I refuse to do it, but that’s great advice.

Liberty

@Ruger#3 here are a couple of loaded .308 Arrow I piked out of brass today. They were made to run in an AR like 6.8 and Grendel.
View attachment 1314989
any body want to guess what happened to the 300 Win Mag case on the right?

I finished one bucket of .45ACP brass and got it cleaned. Here is some of it drying in the sun drier we had.
View attachment 1314990
View attachment 1314991

got the last of the second bucket in the washing machine and the first half on the floor with a fan blowing on it. Mr. Rain Shower came and Mr sun went inside for a minute so we couldn't sun dry them.
View attachment 1314992

I found 2 cases of these on the table so I stole 5 boxes fair and square.
View attachment 1314993
My guess it that case shape happened “not on purpose”. You have a fantastic case cleaning setup.

Liberty

Well boys, after loading my Longshot dove loads on a Lee for years, I found an offer that I couldn’t refuse and took the plunge since my boy has gotten bit by the skeet/ trap bug. It’s a 20 gauge setup because he is starting middle school next year (we have a shotgun team in my county), but he still only weighs 70 pounds at about 5 feet tall without much hope. I wrestled 125 in high school at 5’6. With all that said, what is a pet load you guys use for AA hulls and Win 209 primers since I have a bunch. I’m looking at Unique, 20/28, and Herco. I’d love to hear powder/wad suggestions.59034AED-B83A-40AC-8B7B-1E5E0BF84430.jpeg59034AED-B83A-40AC-8B7B-1E5E0BF84430.jpeg

menhadenman

Well boys, after loading my Longshot dove loads on a Lee for years, I found an offer that I couldn’t refuse and took the plunge since my boy has gotten bit by the skeet/ trap bug. It’s a 20 gauge setup because he is starting middle school next year (we have a shotgun team in my county), but he still only weighs 70 pounds at about 5 feet tall without much hope. I wrestled 125 in high school at 5’6. With all that said, what is a pet load you guys use for AA hulls and Win 209 primers since I have a bunch. I’m looking at Unique, 20/28, and Herco. I’d love to hear powder/wad suggestions.View attachment 1315017View attachment 1315017
Nice! We don’t see much shot shell talk on here. I don’t do it myself but should think about it.

menhadenman

Yeah, I may get a compact 9 MM at some point. For now I carry the .380 when situation requires. A compact 9 would simplify things even more.

I tote the 43x often but recently picked up the new FN Reflex. Makes you realize how bad triggers are on striker fire pistols. The Reflex is pretty small and has an internal hammer.

But all told, @Dub is right…. We’d all rather have a 1911 :unsure:
Code:

Reactions: Dub

Jester896

Senior Clown
With all that said, what is a pet load you guys use for AA hulls and Win 209 primers since I have a bunch. I’m looking at Unique, 20/28, and Herco. I’d love to hear powder/wad suggestions.
we play with my buddy's new to him 9000 last weekend. Which hulls do you have? We loaded some 7/8oz but for the life of me I don't remember the powder but it was a 22 bushing. I'm not sure he shot them. I'll check when I go up in the morning.

Liberty

we play with my buddy's new to him 9000 last weekend. Which hulls do you have? We loaded some 7/8oz but for the life of me I don't remember the powder but it was a 22 bushing. I'm not sure he shot them. I'll check when I go up in the morning.
I have AA, they will take some heavy but safe charges of Longshot for several loadings.