Did you shoot anything today ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bullgator

Yep, barrel band and all.

I've shot these old utility grade models chambered in .222 Rem & 30-30 Win.

I bought my first one chambered in .222 wearing a 6X Weaver around 1980. I was quite impressed with it. A coworker at the time talked me out of it and stacked up a number of whitetail using the combo.

I don't recall a one that didn't defy their banded barrel and low price.
I’m not sure why, but I always wanted one in 30-30. Same thing with the pump Remington in .35. I do have a Remington 788 in .222.

rosewood

Yep, barrel band and all.

I've shot these old utility grade models chambered in .222 Rem & 30-30 Win.

I bought my first one chambered in .222 wearing a 6X Weaver around 1980. I was quite impressed with it. A coworker at the time talked me out of it and stacked up a number of whitetail using the combo.

I don't recall a one that didn't defy their banded barrel and low price.

I picked up the Springfield 840 (same as 340 made by Savage of course) maybe a year ago for $200 at a local pawn shop. Thing came with a scope with side mount. Shoots incredibly accurate and the gun is super light also. I wanted to load spire points in it, but the magazine just isn't long enough for it. Ended up loading up some Speer 130 grain FNSP. They shoot super accurate and thinking are clocking in about 2700 FPS with Leverevolution powder.

I put a set of truglo fiber optic sights on it that were made for the Marlin 60. Had to do some tweeking on the rear site, but the dovetails fit fine.

Been searching the used magazine bins at gun stores for a spare mag, but no luck so far. They are quite pricey online.

Rosewood

chuckdog

The overall length of those 125 Noslers are much shorter than I would have preferred the young man to try. We loaded one unprimed case to check magazine fit and ease of chambering. He did learn to pull the bolt out of his rifle, as the port isn't long enough to eject a loaded round! I'm stressing to him that what we're doing with the 30-30 ain't going to be found in many books, and for him to never assume something is safe to try without lots of thought and research. Necessary velocities for these bullets to perform has to be considered before hunting. Bullet construction, cup and core vs copper, etc pressure differences.

The only rifle powder he had on hand was Leverlution and there's no data in the Lyman 50th manual for that powder bullet weight combo. Hodgdon's site doesn't list anything lighter than a 140gr with Leverultion powder.

I may have lead him astray a bit when I suggested we use 30.5 grains (Just above the suggested starting charge of a 140 Hornady.) with his long 125gr bullet seated so deep to fit the magazine.

He seated and crimped using a FCD. I told him with most bullets neck tension is plenty for a box mag, but he intends to load for lever action too. We were running long, so we learned about "enough" crimp" using these rounds.

After test firing the first one (Big Smile On Both Of Us) I asked him to raise the bolt as normal and how it felt. He reported no extra effort and extracted the round. I had him inspect the case, paying close attention to the primer shape.

The primer looked like an unfired one, still nice and round. With easy extraction and near perfect primer I suggested he load two more for confirmation.

Both had the same outcome.

I'm working with a brilliant mind. His desire to understand the why's and how's is kinda a breath of fresh air. To tell the truth, I'm honored to be a part of getting him into loading. I expect he will teach me along the way too.

Sorry for another of my long reads.

Dub

I'm working with a brilliant mind. His desire to understand the why's and how's is kinda a breath of fresh air. To tell the truth, I'm honored to be a part of getting him into loading. I expect he will teach me along the way too.

:flag::biggrin2::flag::flag::flag::flag::cheers:

rosewood

The overall length of those 125 Noslers are much shorter than I would have preferred the young man to try. We loaded one unprimed case to check magazine fit and ease of chambering. He did learn to pull the bolt out of his rifle, as the port isn't long enough to eject a loaded round! I'm stressing to him that what we're doing with the 30-30 ain't going to be found in many books, and for him to never assume something is safe to try without lots of thought and research. Necessary velocities for these bullets to perform has to be considered before hunting. Bullet construction, cup and core vs copper, etc pressure differences.

The only rifle powder he had on hand was Leverlution and there's no data in the Lyman 50th manual for that powder bullet weight combo. Hodgdon's site doesn't list anything lighter than a 140gr with Leverultion powder.

I may have lead him astray a bit when I suggested we use 30.5 grains (Just above the suggested starting charge of a 140 Hornady.) with his long 125gr bullet seated so deep to fit the magazine.

He seated and crimped using a FCD. I told him with most bullets neck tension is plenty for a box mag, but he intends to load for lever action too. We were running long, so we learned about "enough" crimp" using these rounds.

After test firing the first one (Big Smile On Both Of Us) I asked him to raise the bolt as normal and how it felt. He reported no extra effort and extracted the round. I had him inspect the case, paying close attention to the primer shape.

The primer looked like an unfired one, still nice and round. With easy extraction and near perfect primer I suggested he load two more for confirmation.

Both had the same outcome.

Sorry for another of my long reads.

Yeah, you reminded me, I had to do the same thing. No data for 130 grain with LVR, so I had to do some extrapolation. I had similar results to you. Great accuracy and no pressure signs. I wanted to use some 125 SSTs, but they are just to long to be seated properly. Seems like the bullet would have part of the taper in the case if I used those. I plan on using it within 100 yards anyway, so a spire point is really a moot point

Rosewood

Adam5

I got on the range for the first time since breaking my arm on 3/7, then having surgery on it on 4/2.

Results were as expected, good and bad. 250 rounds of .22lr through my Ruger MKII Competition Target and Ruger LCPII .22.

First the good. I had to modify my stance a little since I can’t straighten my right arm fully, but could still rip the center out of a target at seven to ten yards. I’ve been temporarily carrying the LCPII .22 in my left front pocket since I can’t draw with my right. It ran 100% and only using my left hand at seven to ten yards I can keep an open hand size group. That will work until I can draw with my strong side arm again.

Now the bad. I ran two rounds through my S&W CS9, cleared it, and put it down because it hurt to fire. My muscles that haven’t been used in two months are not ready for a short barrel 9mm yet.

Physical therapy in my arm starts tomorrow, and I’ll try the 9mm again in a week or two. The 10mm and .45acps will stay put away for now.

Overall, I’ll take it as a good start, and a way that I missed spending my time.

Last edited:

Dub

I got on the range for the first time since breaking my arm on 3/7, then having surgery on it on 4/2.

Results were as expected, good and bad. 250 rounds of .22lr through my Ruger MKII Competition Target and Ruger LCPII .22.

First the good. I had to modify my stance a little since I can’t straighten my right arm fully, but could still rip the center out of a target at seven to ten yards. I’ve been temporarily carrying the LCPII .22 in my left front pocket since I can’t draw with my right. It ran 100% and only using my left hand at seven to ten yards I can keep an open hand size group. That will work until I can draw with my strong side arm again.

Now the bad. I ran two rounds through my S&W CS9, cleared it, and put it down because it hurt to fire. My muscles that haven’t been used in two months are not ready for a short barrel 9mm yet.

Physical therapy in my arm starts tomorrow, and I’ll try the 9mm again in a week or two. The 10mm and .45acps will stay out away for now.

Overall, I’ll take it as a good start, and a way that I missed spending my time.

:banana::fine::rockon::rockon::rockon::rockon:

Well done, man. Well done.

Glad you got some shooting in and discovered that it's still there....and got your confidence that your former abilities will continue to return.

Hope the rest of the recovery goes well.

Adam5

:banana::fine::rockon::rockon::rockon::rockon:

Well done, man. Well done.

Glad you got some shooting in and discovered that it's still there....and got your confidence that your former abilities will continue to return.

Hope the rest of the recovery goes well.

Thank you. I normally shoot weekly, and have been getting these strange twitches in my right index finger….

chuckdog

I test fired the new Ruger Wrangler this morning. 100% reliable with new springs. I may do a bit more trigger work, but it's a fun shooter as is.

I've been on a heavy round of steroids for over a week with almost two more weeks to go. I'm not sleeping well at all and shake so bad I think I could thread a running sewing machine!

It's not fair to judge this little revolver now. I figured since I couldn't steady it, I'd fire like TV cowboys. The target below was fired with me drawing down onto target and shooting one handed as fast as I could back the hammer and squeeze.

This was my Dad's preferred method. Something I never mastered!

Wrangler Target Red.jpg

Blue Dot is 1" Diameter. 1st shot is top right. I seem to do a bit better after that.

Federal Auto-Match fired @ 11 yds.

Well, I'm quite surprised! This is something I seldom even try.

Dub

I test fired the new Ruger Wrangler this morning. 100% reliable with new springs. I may do a bit more trigger work, but it's a fun shooter as is.

I've been on a heavy round of steroids for over a week with almost two more weeks to go. I'm not sleeping well at all and shake so bad I think I could thread a running sewing machine!

It's not fair to judge this little revolver now. I figured since I couldn't steady it, I'd fire like TV cowboys. The target below was fired with me drawing down onto target and shooting one handed as fast as I could back the hammer and squeeze.

This was my Dad's preferred method. Something I never mastered!

View attachment 1080877

Blue Dot is 1" Diameter. 1st shot is top right. I seem to do a bit better after that.

Federal Auto-Match fired @ 11 yds.

Well, I'm quite surprised! This is something I seldom even try.

That's some great shooting.

You nailed down that trigger work nicely.

Hope the steroids have their intended relief....without too much heebeegeebee action. They can certainly work wonders.

Baroque Brass

I didn’t shoot anything but I was a range safety officer for five guys that participated in the Steel Challenge at The Ranges At Oakfield in Thomasville. Four different courses, they went through lots of ammo. They all really enjoyed the experience.

chuckdog

I finally took the Ruger American .223 for a test drive Monday. Seems every time I get a chance to go the wind has the trees swapping stump holes. Yesterday was no exception. I was at the Waco Youth Range.

All I had was 55gr AR loads. Some flat base, boat tail, soft point, mostly fmj.
Some used I loaded in July 2010.

The AR mags ain't exactly friendly to easing a round into battery, but work fine for normal bolt operation.

I used my old 6.5 X 20 Vortex Viper for testing. It looks like a gorilla riding a tricycle on the 16" American. The trigger breaks at a consistent 2lbs.

All testing was shot @ 200 yards. Looking through the spotting scope I saw what appeared to be 5 shot patterns instead of groups. Between the wind, ammo selection, and my steroid jitters, the rifle will get another go.

The best group I fired was with 55 gr Remington Soft Point, Lake City Brass, and 23 grains of H322. it came in @ 1.88" center to center. Everything else was well in excess of 2" @ the 200 yd distance.

It wasn't all gloomy though, as I also brought along the American chambered in 6.5 CM with odds and ends rounds I wanted to just use up. Three 129gr Hornady Interlock loaded in Federal brass and two SST type.

I wish I had shot my fouling round at a different target, but even as is I'm pleased. Pictured below are from the three 129 Interlock rounds.

Target 6.5 200.jpg

100 & 200 yrd berms

Range 5-17.jpg

This is the basic 22" American 6.5 CM. Trigger breaks @ 2lbs. It has a 10+ year old standard duplex 3 X 9 VX2 Leupold in Warne rings. The lightweight corncob filled bag and adjustable front rest are my most often used.

The caps are from my Vortex, the main/recoil spring atop the boards, I have no idea?

Last edited:

rosewood

I finally took the Ruger American .223 for a test drive Monday. Seems every time I get a chance to go the wind has the trees swapping stump hole, yesterday was no exception. I was at the Waco Youth Range.

All I had was 55gr AR loads. Some flat base, boat tail, soft point, mostly fmj.
Some used I loaded in July 2010.

The AR mags ain't exactly friendly to easing a round into battery, but work fine for normal bolt operataion.

I used my old 6.5 X 20 Vortex Viper for testing. It looks like a gorilla riding a tricycle on the 16" American. The trigger breaks at a consistent 2lbs.

All testing was shot @ 200 yards. Looking through the spotting scope I saw what appeared to be 5 shot patterns instead of groups. Between the wind, ammo selection, and my steroid jitters, the rifle will get another go.

The best group I fired was with 55 gr Remington Soft Point, Lake City Brass, and 23 grains of H322. it came in @ 1.88" center to center. Everything else was well in excess of 2" @ the 200 yd distance.

It wasn't all gloomy though, as I also brought along the American chambered in 6.5 CM with odd's and ends rounds I wanted to just use up. Three 129gr Hornady Interlock loaded in Federal brass and two SST type.

I wish I had shot my fouling round at a different target, but even as is I'm pleased. Pictured below are from the three 129 Interlock rounds.

View attachment 1081230

100 & 200 yrd berms

View attachment 1081231

the main/recoil spring atop the boards, I have no idea?

That is your stapler mag spring. :)

chuckdog

Yep, I didn't think about it being for a stapler.

I use push pins.

rosewood

Dub

Had gorgeous weather today.....perfect day for running out and paying bills........and then going to the range.

I've had some Chip McCormick mags that I've been meaning to run. For whatever reason...I've never had much experience with them.

FWIW, they ran without issue today. No hiccups of any sort. They played nicely with my PM-38.

P365 was carry gun today. That sucker truly disappears from thought when it's holstered.

I shot everything standing at 10 yards today. Range was empty so I ran at my normal pace....in violation with the 1 shot per second rule which is like an overly restrictive speed limit that bottlenecks traffic.

The Aguila ammo ran fine.....fun fireballs with it, though. Very noticeable.

My accuracy wasn't super....but fairly consistent in mediocrity as each mag ran out in similar clusters (target hung upside down).

Ran through a box of Remington 180gr "target" loads in my G40.

Groupings were most excellent....were I shooting shotgun loads for turkey. Let's just say ole Gaston would not approve and be ill-tempered over my lack of upholding Glock Perfection.

Each of the 10-round targets had same poor results.

This was my first time shooting these Remingtons. Recoil was mild as the load was fairly weak. This gun loves the Sig 180gr target loads.

I'd already shot the PM-38 and knew I wasn't in the groove.....but I wasn't off the road, either.

Swapped out for some 180gr handloads (not mine....but very highly trusted). Also, first time running them in the G40. It liked them a little better.

Last but not least.........Auntie Maxine's favorite gun.

Preach Foe-Tee-Five !!!!!

Preach Foe-Tee-Five !!!!!!!

Preach Foe-Tee-Five !!!!!!!!!!!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

CMC mags ran well. No issues.

Knew the Glock & ETM mags would be fine.....they always are.

The loose nut behind the trigger & the Big Green fodder was suspect.....as they sometimes are. :rofl:

Recovered what I could of my brass and then headed on my merry way.

Tomorrow morning.....grabbing a shotgun and going to bust some clays......... :biggestshoot:

Adam5

I was on the range with my still rehabbing right arm. 200 rounds of .22lr and 48 rounds of 9mm. Last week I fired two rounds of 9mm through my S&W CS9, and had to put it down because it hurt. Today I finished that box. If I had realized that it wouldn’t hurt I would have brought more 9mm with me.

I’m using a modified stance. I typically keep my right (strong side) arm straight, but can’t straighten it yet. I kept my left straight and the right slightly bent. This is 48 rounds at 7 yards with my new modified stance. Not where I used to be, but it’s progress. This is also the first time that I’ve fired the little Smith, except for the two rounds last week.

Attachments

• 3526C541-A5D2-402C-BFAE-F1570C558DCB.jpeg
    3526C541-A5D2-402C-BFAE-F1570C558DCB.jpeg
    181 KB · Views: 4

rosewood

Dub, u got me good, couldn't figure why max liked the 1911, but then u explained. Rofl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts