Do I want one of these? Tikka TX3 Hunter

HermanMerman

My boy is eight now and I’m wondering what deer rifle to get him. Part of me wants to get him something cheaper, but then again I want to get him something decent that he can pass down at some point…. and selfishly something I would like hauling to the woods from time to time. Im thinking .243 or even 7mm-08. I’ve heard good things about Tikka but someone here will surely know better than me.

basshappy

BANNED
@HermanMerman .243 is great caliber for 8 year old to work with.

Consider Mossberg Patriot Youth, Savage Axis XP Compact, or Ruger American Compact. Either of these would be a good, solid first bolt action instrument for your 8 year old.

HermanMerman

@HermanMerman .243 is great caliber for 8 year old to work with.

Consider Mossberg Patriot Youth, Savage Axis XP Compact, or Ruger American Compact. Either of these would be a good, solid first bolt action instrument for your 8 year old.

.243 is what I’ve really thought hard on. He could shoot that one at deer around here until he’s old and gray and do just fine. I’ve kicked the idea of a Savage and Ruger around too.

Buford_Dawg

I bought a Tikka T3X Hunter this summer as hopefully my last deer rifle. I have many, but wanted a classic wood finish. .308 caliber, I love it, have taken 4 hogs and a yote with it this deer season. I know Tikka makes compact models as well. I would go with 7mm-08 or even .308, but .243 certainly will do.

Dub

It may require a compact lop stock for an 8 year old.

Would make for a sweet shooting rifle in .243 Win. (y)

menhadenman

My boy is eight now and I’m wondering what deer rifle to get him. Part of me wants to get him something cheaper, but then again I want to get him something decent that he can pass down at some point…. and selfishly something I would like hauling to the woods from time to time. Im thinking .243 or even 7mm-08. I’ve heard good things about Tikka but someone here will surely know better than me.
I’ve got a fair number of deer rifles from Savage, Ruger, Winchester, Howa, CVA, Marlin, Henry, etc but finally stepped into a Tikka T3X stainless light about five years ago. Only regret is not getting one earlier. It’s got a butter action and shoots about anything great. I now own two and will probably have a third one soon.

Only a couple suggestions from my experience:

- Stainless is hard to beat, especially if you’re in the elements or camping overnight. They have other models that also hold up (I think Roughtech and Veil, both T3X) over a blued barrel.

- They sell some with “compact” stock, which is just a shorter length of pull. Companies used to call them “youth” models which limited them from a marketing standpoint. My second T3X is a compact 308 that I really enjoy and my boys can shoot it too.

- I’m pretty sure they’re making 243s with a 1:8 twist (I think standard is 1:10). This leaves flexibility to shoot a 105 maybe even 110 grain bullet if you reload. Talk about a thumper that’ll be slippery in the wind! That may be my next one.

- Keep an eye on Sportsman’s warehouse. There’s one in Chattanooga but I don’t know where else they are in the south. They get great deals on tikkas from time to time.

Good luck and I don’t think you’ll regret it.

HermanMerman

It may require a compact lop stock for an 8 year old.

Would make for a sweet shooting rifle in .243 Win. (y)

He’s a long armed, lanky son of a gun. I’m betting on him growing into it quickly but you make a valid point, sir.

I guess I will be the lone tikka hater. I've owned a t3 hunter in 300 wsm in the past and I currently own a stainless t3x in 308. They are both smooth as butter but very picky in what loads they will shoot well. Im also not a fan of the plastic magazine and bottom metal.

Darkhorse

Wanting a lighter rifle in a standard caliber, made from stainless steel with a synthetic stock, I bought one at least 10 years ago. It really does have a super slick action, an adequate trigger, and is very accurate.
My only 2 complaints were it was not available in Lefthand in 7mm-08 in the US. At least not then. So I got mine in .308 winchester. The next problem is the stock is just too slick. I fixed mine and another stock can be ordered.
SS850133.jpg

A plus was they were a few hundred dollars less back then.
Should you buy one? Shoot yeah!! I have a number of rifles and have been shooting them for decades and this Tikka is one of my favorites.
I have made a few upgrades not shown in the photo, a 10 round clip and a limbsaver pad rounds it out.

menhadenman

Wanting a lighter rifle in a standard caliber, made from stainless steel with a synthetic stock, I bought one at least 10 years ago. It really does have a super slick action, an adequate trigger, and is very accurate.
My only 2 complaints were it was not available in Lefthand in 7mm-08 in the US. At least not then. So I got mine in .308 winchester. The next problem is the stock is just too slick. I fixed mine and another stock can be ordered.
SS850133.jpg

A plus was they were a few hundred dollars less back then.
Should you buy one? Shoot yeah!! I have a number of rifles and have been shooting them for decades and this Tikka is one of my favorites.
I have made a few upgrades not shown in the photo, a 10 round clip and a limbsaver pad rounds it out.
@Darkhorse that looks real similar to their roughtech model. You were ahead of your time buddy. Fluted barrel and bolt with a 243 1-8” twist really has me slobbering.

Darkhorse

When I bought mine choices in Lefthand configuration were very limited to say the least. But I recently saw an add by Tikka about the LH rifles. Seems like LH choices have really increased.
Now that has me slobbering.

Latest posts