Dog/Bear Hunt Timing

Buckman18

My opinion is deer/bear still hunting season needs to be extended on the CNF to at least Jan 1, like it was for decades.

I also think the dog bear/hog opportunities should be expanded to cover other WMA's after archery closes and in-between and after the managed rifle deer hunts close.

And I like the idea of a spring/summer bear still hunting season.

More opportunity for everyone. Cooler weather for the dogs. Whats not to love?

ddd-shooter

My opinion is deer/bear still hunting season needs to be extended on the CNF to at least Jan 1, like it was for decades.

I also think the dog bear/hog opportunities should be expanded to cover other WMA's after archery closes and in-between and after the managed rifle deer hunts close.

And I like the idea of a spring/summer bear still hunting season.

More opportunity for everyone. Cooler weather for the dogs. Whats not to love?
That sounds like the email I sent to the dnr about proposed regulation changes... Agree completely

Heath

We will agree to disagree on this one. There’s nothing wrong with a good debate, but let’s keep it civil. When you claim that those proposing changing the dates were only doing so because they were unsuccessful and looking for an excuse you were making an assumption. When you make it personal it’s hard to have a good discussion. If wanting to have a couple of additional weeks to bow hunt undisturbed bears is selfish, then so be it. If making such a change would be to the detriment of no one, then what’s the problem? Just curious, do you actually bow hunt bears in the early season? I know a lot of guys don’t mess with bowhunting bears in the heat.

Yes, back when I would have killed a bear without a dog. I would hunt every day it was open and I could get free. For a span of 5-10 years I would rarely hunt less than 5 days a week. Answer this for me, We had 106 Archery days to kill a bear here in the mountains on public land this year. How many of those days did You hunt? Did you take off and hunt all 7 days of the first Chattahoochee Archery hunt or perhaps even the early firearm week knowing there would be a 9 day dog hunt for over a year prior? And finally, did you hunt elsewhere during any of the 9 days these WMA’s were being occupied by another group getting an opportunity? Maybe this way we can reach a common ground about why we disagree. Im genuinely curious as it might sway my opinion.

jbogg

Yes, back when I would have killed a bear without a dog. I would hunt every day it was open and I could get free. For a span of 5-10 years I would rarely hunt less than 5 days a week. Answer this for me, We had 106 Archery days to kill a bear here in the mountains on public land this year. How many of those days did You hunt? Did you take off and hunt all 7 days of the first Chattahoochee Archery hunt or perhaps even the early firearm week knowing there would be a 9 day dog hunt for over a year prior? And finally, did you hunt elsewhere during any of the 9 days these WMA’s were being occupied by another group getting an opportunity? Maybe this way we can reach a common ground about why we disagree. Im genuinely curious as it might sway my opinion.

I hunt regular NF 95% of the time. I own a small business so it’s difficult to get a full week off. I usually try to hunt the first four or five days of bow season, but with family and work obligations I am usually lucky to go once a week during most of the season. I hunted Chestatee a couple of times last bow season, but did not spend any time on Chattahoochee. I’m not going to invest a lot of time in a spot where I know I’m only going to have one week of bow season before the Bears start receiving a lot more pressure.

There are plenty of bears on regular national forest, but Chattahoochee WMA has or at least had the highest bear density of probably anywhere on the national forest. I haven’t seen the data, but since the first dog hunt occurred last year I don’t think there have been more than two or three bears killed on Chattahoochee WMA outside of either of the two dog hunts, and that includes rifle hunts. I’m not pointing the finger of blame at the dog hunt for those numbers, but for the guys that talk like there is nothing to it, and as if there is a bear hiding behind every tree, they would be mistaken. My whole point since this began a year and a half ago is if this dog hunt can be scheduled during the last nine days of bow season so as not to interfere with those first few weeks, then what’s the harm in rescheduling it?

Raylander

I’m Billy’s Useles Uncle.
The hunt was scheduled on those dates on purpose- as not to interfere with the neighboring state’s seasons. The goal is to draw out of state license fees. IMO the hunt should be for Ga residents ONLY. Many states save the limited opportunity hunts for resident only, I would like to see GA fallow suit. The folks who really take it on the noggin are the ones who lobbied so hard for the hunt in their home state; only to have the opportunity handed off to NRs. The early hunt dates encourage NRs to apply, thus reducing a resident’s chance. It’s a sad deal.. We have plenty of folks in GA these days, we should not be prioritizing NR dollars. Moving the hunt back would probably keep some of the NRs from applying and allow Georgians a better shot at being drawn.

jbogg

The hunt was scheduled on those dates on purpose- as not to interfere with the neighboring state’s seasons. The goal is to draw out of state license fees. IMO the hunt should be for Ga residents ONLY. Many states save the limited opportunity hunts for resident only, I would like to see GA fallow suit. The folks who really take it on the noggin are the ones who lobbied so hard for the hunt in their home state; only to have the opportunity handed off to NRs. The early hunt dates encourage NRs to apply, thus reducing a resident’s chance. It’s a sad deal.. We have plenty of folks in GA these days, we should not be prioritizing NR dollars. Moving the hunt back would probably keep some of the NRs from applying and allow Georgians a better shot at being drawn.

^^^^^^
This is exactly why I thought that Georgia resident Houndsman would be in favor of pushing the hunt back a few weeks. Tell me about the bear dog training season. Looks to me like it’s legal to train dogs for over four months in GA, but I wasn’t sure if they allow non-residents to train in Georgia, and if so do they have to buy a nonresident hunting license to do so?

Raylander

^^^^^^
This is exactly why I thought that Georgia resident Houndsman would be in favor of pushing the hunt back a few weeks. Tell me about the bear dog training season. Looks to me like it’s legal to train dogs for over four months in GA, but I wasn’t sure if they allow non-residents to train in Georgia, and if so do they have to buy a nonresident hunting license to do so?

I have no idear about license to train. I’d hazard a guess that you e got to have a hunting license but no big game. Yes, NRs train in Ga, go take a ride through the old Burton WMA in August..

I’m not a hound hunter. I’m a bowman..

Last edited:

Heath

^^^^^^
This is exactly why I thought that Georgia resident Houndsman would be in favor of pushing the hunt back a few weeks. Tell me about the bear dog training season. Looks to me like it’s legal to train dogs for over four months in GA, but I wasn’t sure if they allow non-residents to train in Georgia, and if so do they have to buy a nonresident hunting license to do so?[/QUOTE

Yes they are required to buy nonresident license. And yes that was implemented to draw revenue. What’s the problem with that?
You keep saying Chattahoochee has a better bear density than other places. That is simply not true. Not being mean, that’s just an outright lie you’ve convinced yourself of. It’s clear you don’t understand that hunting a dog is 365 and not 1/3 of a year endeavor. I spend thousands of dollars to hunt from West Virginia to Tennessee and do it gladly. I’m thrilled they allow me to participate and I am glad we are allowing them the same opportunity. The only people having a problem with this hunt seem to be the people utilizing 20% of their available opportunity.
PS. I have a family and small business as well. I desire to hunt and therefore make time and don’t expect others to cater to my schedule or wants. But
what do I know....

Last edited:

jbogg

Based on your post last fall shown below you didn’t seem that thrilled with non resident hunters at that time. Sounds like you’ve had a change of heart. Glad to see you were open minded.95DF611D-07EB-4642-85CB-0BB610FCFA89.jpeg

jbogg

Heath, where did I say I had a problem with non residents training dogs in GA? I asked a simple question for clarification. Geez you are wired a little tight.

Raylander

If we are to start prioritizing out of state dollars over residents it will be real fun once the Californians catch wind