Extend the season???

Zak26

Just curious as to why the state won’t make the deer season longer in south Ga. I hunt in Early county and the past 3 years it seems our main rut is after the season goes out. Don’t get me wrong I did see a few chasing this year but not a full blown rut like it seems they are doing now. Anybody else see this after the season is over?

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
We've discussed this several times on the forum. Your story in the southwest corner is similar to us in the northeast corner. It's hard to manage a state the size of Georgia and have everyone on the same schedule.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Is there a state with more days of deer season than Georgia?

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
You can be right in the middle of a extended bow county during hot rut action seeing 12 deer a sit and still not be happy.
Well thats not true, I’m happy!
But somebody done got the big one early I bet.

diamondback

I agree it would help to shift the whole season back 2 weeks but I also think that it would make finding land to hunt harder and more expensive because of folks wanting to extend their season.

Gator89

Florida and Louisiana have zones.

It is actually great for me, I can start gun hunting in Ga in late October and continue through late February.

Where I hunt in Zone B in FL, the rut kicked off between Christmas & New Year's this year. Zone B 12/7/2019 through 02/23/2020 for gun season.

transfixer

Is there a state with more days of deer season than Georgia?

I really don't know, probably not? But having a long season isn't necessarily a good thing ,,,, its longer now than its ever been in Ga, the only real outcome of that is more deer being harvested, not a good thing in some areas

I and many others already think that the season is too long statewide.

A lot of people outside of this forum are advocating for wanting a 1 month archery and a 1 month rifle with a statewide limit of 1 buck having 4 or more on a side.

Archery- Starting mid October- running to mid-November
Rifle- Starting mid-November running to mid-December.

Last edited:

transfixer

Just be glad you don't have a three-week season like we do here. It ends about the time the rut starts up good, also.

I can't imagine a season that short,,, but I realize a good portion of the state isn't the best habitat for whitetails, I feel like ours is too long though, it was much shorter 20 or 30 years ago, and I believe our hunting was better. Have you noticed how the game regulations have gotten more and more liberal as the years go by, primitive weapons used to mean archery and iron sighted muzzleloaders, now we have inline contraptions with scopes on them they call muzzleloaders, went from recurves and longbows to compounds and then crossbows, restrictions on pistol calibers to now virtually no restrictions, I believe there used to be restrictions on rifles as well, .223 or 5.56 weren't allowed years ago I don't believe, now they are. season starts earlier, ends later, baiting once allowed, now legal, limited either sex days,, now its almost wide open brown its down,

Kinda sounds like a bunch of liberals running the DNR doesn't it ? opening up deer hunting so everyone has an opportunity,,, except the deer herd ,,,,

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
I can't imagine a season that short,,, but I realize a good portion of the state isn't the best habitat for whitetails, I feel like ours is too long though, it was much shorter 20 or 30 years ago, and I believe our hunting was better. Have you noticed how the game regulations have gotten more and more liberal as the years go by, primitive weapons used to mean archery and iron sighted muzzleloaders, now we have inline contraptions with scopes on them they call muzzleloaders, went from recurves and longbows to compounds and then crossbows, restrictions on pistol calibers to now virtually no restrictions, I believe there used to be restrictions on rifles as well, .223 or 5.56 weren't allowed years ago I don't believe, now they are. season starts earlier, ends later, baiting once allowed, now legal, limited either sex days,, now its almost wide open brown its down,

Kinda sounds like a bunch of liberals running the DNR doesn't it ? opening up deer hunting so everyone has an opportunity,,, except the deer herd ,,,,

There are less than five people of this entire forum who use primitive weapons for any kind of hunting, deer included.

What most people consider primitive weapons are not. Not even close.