Extend the season???

transfixer

I and many others already think that the season is too long statewide.

A lot of people outside of this forum are advocating for wanting a 1 month archery and a 1 month rifle with a statewide limit of 1 buck having 4 or more on a side.

Archery- Starting mid October- running to mid-November
Rifle- Starting mid-November running to mid-December.

Born and bred native Georgian, deer hunted for the last 43 yrs here,,, and I'd be perfectly fine with those dates and regs. I think the quality of our hunting would improve.

huntersluck

I think season should open in October close at the end of January modern firearms should be thirty days long, two 15 day increments or 3 10 day rest is archery only. Just my opinion I know everybody has one

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I can't imagine a season that short,,, but I realize a good portion of the state isn't the best habitat for whitetails, I feel like ours is too long though, it was much shorter 20 or 30 years ago, and I believe our hunting was better. Have you noticed how the game regulations have gotten more and more liberal as the years go by, primitive weapons used to mean archery and iron sighted muzzleloaders, now we have inline contraptions with scopes on them they call muzzleloaders, went from recurves and longbows to compounds and then crossbows, restrictions on pistol calibers to now virtually no restrictions, I believe there used to be restrictions on rifles as well, .223 or 5.56 weren't allowed years ago I don't believe, now they are. season starts earlier, ends later, baiting once allowed, now legal, limited either sex days,, now its almost wide open brown its down,

Kinda sounds like a bunch of liberals running the DNR doesn't it ? opening up deer hunting so everyone has an opportunity,,, except the deer herd ,,,,
To clarify, the three-week rifle season is only here in the mountain counties where the deer population is low. I think it doesn't really need to be longer, or there would be no deer left. Most of NC outside the mountains is excellent deer habitat, with swarming deer populations. The seasons are different in those zones, but still not nearly as long as they are in GA or SC.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
I agree ! I still have and use my Hawken I bought in my 20's, and use 2F blackpowder also, I believe primitive should mean primitive, not shotgun primers and pellets,

That Hawken is not primitive either. Neither is my flintock longrifle. :)

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
Okay,,, so you're meaning REALLY primitive ,, I have a longbow, but not very good with it,, :)

That`s not either. Primitive uses no metal, with the exception of copper, maybe. Primitive is stone, bone, wood, ivory, leather, sinew, pine pitch glue or hoof and hide glue.

We`ve gotten away from the concept, but those materials still work as good as they have for 35,000 years. The only thing lacking is the skill.

transfixer

Half the hunters don’t kill a deer with how the season is now.

It’s just fine.

But many could have ! Some will only shoot bucks above a certain inch total, some like myself try not to shoot a buck unless it reaches a certain point in size or points, I've actually gone more on body size in recent years , so as to get the most meat for the freezer, and some don't shoot does if they feel like there aren't enough in the herd to be able to harvest, I could have taken three or four this year if I didn't care about the herd, but didn't take any, last year only took one for the same reasons, not everyone out there has self imposed restrictions though, many still subscribe to " brown its down "

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
That`s not either. Primitive uses no metal, with the exception of copper, maybe. Primitive is stone, bone, wood, ivory, leather, sinew, pine pitch glue or hoof and hide glue.

We`ve gotten away from the concept, but those materials still work as good as they have for 35,000 years. The only thing lacking is the skill.
I consider some of my ammo to be primitive. These are river cane I cut myself, wild turkey fletching in the eastern Woodlands style, points I knapped myself hafted with pine pitch glue I made, and deer sinew lashings from a deer I killed. They are shot from a wooden bow I made myself.

cherokeearrows.jpg

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
This hickory bow with a rawhide string made completely with stone tools while camping should qualify, too. :)

Here's how it started:

stonebow10.JPG

Here's the end result:

stonebow9.jpg

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

chrislibby88

I can't imagine a season that short,,, but I realize a good portion of the state isn't the best habitat for whitetails, I feel like ours is too long though, it was much shorter 20 or 30 years ago, and I believe our hunting was better. Have you noticed how the game regulations have gotten more and more liberal as the years go by, primitive weapons used to mean archery and iron sighted muzzleloaders, now we have inline contraptions with scopes on them they call muzzleloaders, went from recurves and longbows to compounds and then crossbows, restrictions on pistol calibers to now virtually no restrictions, I believe there used to be restrictions on rifles as well, .223 or 5.56 weren't allowed years ago I don't believe, now they are. season starts earlier, ends later, baiting once allowed, now legal, limited either sex days,, now its almost wide open brown its down,

Kinda sounds like a bunch of liberals running the DNR doesn't it ? opening up deer hunting so everyone has an opportunity,,, except the deer herd ,,,,

Some of the ammo restrictions made sense when bullet technology wasn’t as good, now you can get extremely lethal 60-70 grain .223 that penetrates deep and is more than adequate for hunting medium sized big game. I personally hunt deer with a .308, but I have killed a pile of big hogs with .223 shooting heavier bullets (even .22mag) It’s nothing like the 55 grain stuff that was common 30-40 years ago. I get the frustration with crossbows and modern black powder rigs, they pretty much remove the learning curve and discipline required for true primitive weapons, but hunters are still highly restricted on effective range, so it does limit opportunities. I know a lot of crossbow hunters, but I really don’t have any friends that shoot black powder.

Gator89

The seasons should coincide with the rut and all types of hunters should have equal opportunity to hunt it.

Archery, shotgun only, etc. in high human population areas for safety reasons.

Sixes

I and many others already think that the season is too long statewide.

A lot of people outside of this forum are advocating for wanting a 1 month archery and a 1 month rifle with a statewide limit of 1 buck having 4 or more on a side.

Archery- Starting mid October- running to mid-November
Rifle- Starting mid-November running to mid-December.
Not a single person is stopping any of you from invoking the shorter seasons and reduced bag limits on yourselves, a lot of us do NOT want those restrictions, but if you want to limit yourself, by all means go for it.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
But many could have ! Some will only shoot bucks above a certain inch total, some like myself try not to shoot a buck unless it reaches a certain point in size or points, I've actually gone more on body size in recent years , so as to get the most meat for the freezer, and some don't shoot does if they feel like there aren't enough in the herd to be able to harvest, I could have taken three or four this year if I didn't care about the herd, but didn't take any, last year only took one for the same reasons, not everyone out there has self imposed restrictions though, many still subscribe to " brown its down "
I understand all that about a lot not shooting.
The brown it’s down can only kill 2 bucks. One must have 4 on one side. After they shoot a few does. They get wise. Even the brown it’s down only averages 3.75 deer each. ?
Had to a percent in it. ?

The season is pretty good state wide.
It’s a good mediocre for all.

We are blessed.

chrislibby88

And to the original subject, I wouldnt have a problem with moving the state into some sorta block or zone management. We already have it to some degree, slightly different public land season dates and limits in different zones. I would personally like to see no doe harvests in the northern zone, and perhaps a shorter and later shifted season. I don’t have any experience in the southern quarter of the state, but it seems the rut in north and south GA is about a month behind the typical “early November” rut.