Extend the season???

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Night hunting should be allowed because a lot of folks work during the day and can't get out until after dark and besides in the winter the days are so short, even if you can take off work there just ain't enough daylight hours for a serious hunter.

Maybe make the season half as long but allow the deer to be hunted 24 hours a day

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
At no time did North Georgia have many doe days or a large population, so if extending the season didn’t increase harvest what happened? Many years ago we had a huntable population.

What part of North Georgia are you referring to and are you talking about public or private land?

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Mountains public

I'll agree that too many doe days played a role in that decline in past years, which is why I pushed to eliminate doe days for all weapons this past year. However, that population decline was a perfect storm of poor habitat conditions, predation, some overharvest, and several hemorrhagic disease epidemics. The Appalachian deer decline has occurred all across the southern range in multiple state regardless of hunting regulations.

Buckman18

I agree with Mr Killmaster. Hunter impact on deer populations on the CNF is really a non factor. Ive hunted many many days in our mountains covering many many miles, during prime time, and see very few hunters. After 1/2 mile from the truck I see almost zero hunters, ever. Some places I like to hunt are the old lake burton wma, the southern nantahala wilderness, the upper tracts of dawson forest, swallow creek wma, and the tray mtn wilderness. Almost never do I see another hunter anywhere on any of these places. And I hunt a lot. Thus, in my estimation, reducing the hunting season in the mountains will have a net 0% impact, good or bad. Instead, we should be working to get at least that extra week back after Christmas on the CNF because I dont see small game hunters either.

GSPEED

Hunting regulations don’t have a impact on population? If this storm was happening shouldn’t the regulations have changed to offset it. Glad we don’t have doe days but may be a little late.

GSPEED

I agree with Mr Killmaster. Hunter impact on deer populations on the CNF is really a non factor. Ive hunted many many days in our mountains covering many many miles, during prime time, and see very few hunters. After 1/2 mile from the truck I see almost zero hunters, ever. Some places I like to hunt are the old lake burton wma, the southern nantahala wilderness, the upper tracts of dawson forest, swallow creek wma, and the tray mtn wilderness. Almost never do I see another hunter anywhere on any of these places. And I hunt a lot. Thus, in my estimation, reducing the hunting season in the mountains will have a net 0% impact, good or bad. Instead, we should be working to get at least that extra week back after Christmas on the CNF because I dont see small game hunters either.
That’s because there’s nothing to hunt.

Buckman18

That’s because there’s nothing to hunt.

Ive got a house absolutely full of racks from mature mountain bucks Ive killed that would speak to the contrary.

And a few from middle GA as well.

buckpasser

I feel for the the extreme SW folks. They get screwed, period. I will say this though, if there were a few weeks extended or delayed season over there I’d try to find somewhere to hunt in that zone. Once I started hunting Decatur or surrounding counties, I’d kill most of their big deer and they’d still be screwed.

Swamprat

Swamprat
In Florida this year you could start with archery in Zone A August 3rd (South FL) and finish up in Zone D primitive weapons (Panhandle) March 1st

Basically 7 months of hunting in one state.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Hunting regulations don’t have a impact on population?

You keep making broad generalizations to specific issues and vice versa. Do you honestly think that's what I said or believe? I'm getting the impression you just want to complain without entertaining any other ideas beside your own.

My door is always open and I'm happy to sit down and go over everything I'm trying to do to make deer hunting better in Georgia. Believe me, I share your frustrations on the CNF deer population.

goshenmountainman

To answer your ?. The answer is maybe. By mid November the rut is over where I typically hunt. It would take the rut out of gun season by a few days. Second rut would be in gun season. Second rut this year in Warren county was almost as strong as the firt rut. I imagine because every deer there was keeping its head down during the first rut SLAUGHTER.

I guess it would make for a more pleasurable archery season. But it would not work well for rifle season.

Let me extend an olive branch and do some negotiation. As long as archery and rifle are only 1 month long each, I dont care when it happens between October November and December. As long as it only lasts 1 month a each. Split it up by county, WMU, I dont really care.

1 Month Bow 1 Month Gun. Then leave the deer alone. That will save more bucks and it will also allow for other hunting opportunities besides deer. Not to mention it is more generous than most other states.
I like your plan, it just needs to be put into zones for different parts of the state. All other states with this much diversity do this and it works great.

specialk

i am that one guy that loved the december break.......our small club would kill a nice buck during that last week from xmas to new years day.....lot of other clubs did the same......

goshenmountainman

I agree with Mr Killmaster. Hunter impact on deer populations on the CNF is really a non factor. Ive hunted many many days in our mountains covering many many miles, during prime time, and see very few hunters. After 1/2 mile from the truck I see almost zero hunters, ever. Some places I like to hunt are the old lake burton wma, the southern nantahala wilderness,

the upper tracts of dawson forest, swallow creek wma, and the tray mtn wilderness. Almost never do I see another hunter anywhere on any of these places. And I hunt a lot. Thus, in my estimation, reducing the hunting season in the mountains will have a net 0% impact, good or bad. Instead, we should be working to get at least that extra week back after Christmas on the CNF because I dont see small game hunters either.
I live here and my whole family has hunted all the lands you mentioned, my dad was the area manager for years on the old burton wma, the reason you don't see many people anymore is that there is hardly any game left. There is a few very small pockets here and there but people get tired of sitting weeks and not seeing anything,I guess I am pretty lucky, I usually see one or two good ones every year in these mountains on these same lands you are talking about, but its getting harder and harder to see them. My dad is as good a hunter as anybody that hunts these mountains, he saw one doe between opening day and the end of November and thats private land included. He put an add in the market bullentin, a fellow answered him and now he has two pieces of property around Macon to hunt, I think he has been four trips, seen lots of deer, got a big eight and a big doe, says he is never hunting the mountains again. I am pretty sure this is why you don't see many people up here anymore, they have gotten smart and went elsewhere. I have been doing some hog hunting the last couple weeks and it amazes me the beautiful country we have been through that is totally void of any deer sign or turkey, 20 years ago this same land was covered in both deer and turkey, some of it totally void of any wildlife signs at all.

Waddams

I am not slamming just curious.
Those who say they only have a few days to hunt out of the period from mid September until mid January.
Do y’all not prioritize hunting enough to schedule days/weeks off work for hunting?:huh:

Me personally, I live in the Metro Area, and don't have a private land spot. Public lands are all a decent drive, so it's either take off work or be a weekend warrior for me.

This past season in particular I'd started a new job back in May, and we had other plans already made that had my leave time spoken for, so I was limited to weekend warrior. Next season might be a little different in that regard.

I'm also by trade a water/wastewater engineering manager type. I've got people working for me on various projects, dealing with clients, company management issues, staff issues, mentoring/oversight of lots of young staff, contractors building stuff, etc. It's a pretty busy job and it's made busier because during the recession, there wasn't much work, there weren't hardly any new people coming into the field. Things have picked up, clients are having a lot of work done to catch up on what they couldn't afford during the recession, and there just aren't enough experienced engineers that can design and manage the work right. So we're all trying to mentor youngun's as fast as possible, but finding introverted engineers that can learn the social chops required is a challenge, then growing them takes a long time.

It results in if I'm not at work, something gets mucked up. Period. Had one last week that happened while I was out of town on a work trip, a guy in my office hosed something because nobody was around to watch out, and now we're dealing with it.

The flip side is that I'm in demand and can pretty much name my salary (and I did for this position with this company). So very well paid because there are very few of guys like me out there, and there's a big demand.

However, in terms of time to get away for hunting, when you're in responsible charge of something, and in charge of other people in particular, you need to be there. It's tough taking time off, especially on a "oh it's gonna be chilly and a good weather, I'm going in the morning" spur of the moment basis. I usually have my weeks activities and meetings planned out at least a week or two in advance, it makes it so for me, getting away on short notice is difficult.

This affects me for more than just hunting. A doctor's trip, eye exam, taking my son to a doc if he gets sick, having a maintenance guy at the house to fix something that broke - it all requires me to shuffle my work calendar, and that just messes up lots of other people too.

It's just life for me right now, so I'll be the best weekend warrior I can be and be jealous of those whose lifestyle allows them more chances to chase and try to shoot Bambi's daddy!

Buckman18

I live here and my whole family has hunted all the lands you mentioned, my dad was the area manager for years on the old burton wma, the reason you don't see many people anymore is that there is hardly any game left. There is a few very small pockets here and there but people get tired of sitting weeks and not seeing anything,I guess I am pretty lucky, I usually see one or two good ones every year in these mountains on these same lands you are talking about, but its getting harder and harder to see them. My dad is as good a hunter as anybody that hunts these mountains, he saw one doe between opening day and the end of November and thats private land included. He put an add in the market bullentin, a fellow answered him and now he has two pieces of property around Macon to hunt, I think he has been four trips, seen lots of deer, got a big eight and a big doe, says he is never hunting the mountains again. I am pretty sure this is why you don't see many people up here anymore, they have gotten smart and went elsewhere. I have been doing some hog hunting the last couple weeks and it amazes me the beautiful country we have been through that is totally void of any deer sign or turkey, 20 years ago this same land was covered in both deer and turkey, some of it totally void of any wildlife signs at all.

10-4, I agree its not as good as it once was, especially tray and old burton, but in my honest opinion its not because of hunters overharvesting like some folks say. I believe its because we have to many bears now, and coyotes also. I agree with the biologist some select cutting may also help some, but I think if the bears were not as plentiful more fawns would survive. The first week of November, me and a buddy made an 8 mile loop on the old Burton refuge, mostly up higher, and did not see the first deer track. Not even one. Bear sign everywhere.

A couple days later, I made another big loop down low and found just enough deer sign to hunt. Went back the following day and dang near got him, but he winded me before I could get a shot. I tweaked my setup just a bit, but when I went back the road was closed due to road damage. If you find a summit climber in there, youll know where I was. Ill get it next year I reckon!

Im also like yall in that the past couple years ive spent more time south than north, the reason is so my kid can have more action without the long hikes.

I dont think Ive met you in person before, but I always enjoy your post and hunting stories. Its getting about time to go bust a mess of squirrel's, catch some specks, and scout for turkey season. If you ever get bored holler and we will see what we can get in to. Im one of the outlaw Youngbloods from Hiawassee, but I married a gal from Clarkesville and have lived in Habersham now off of pea ridge now for several years.

transfixer

My relatives on my fathers side were from up in the Blairsville area, I spent many a summers as a teenager roaming those mountains, from Coopers creek wma, Blue Ridge, Rich mtn, the old Lake Burton wma, and a couple others, trout fishing in the summer, hunting in the fall, I enjoyed hunting those areas for the different experience, and the scenery, but I always knew seeing deer was going to be harder up there than in the piedmont region, I knew there just wasn't as much browse up there as there was in the lower elevation areas, so even up there I usually hunted closer to the valleys than the higher elevations, I still enjoy the landscape up there, but haven't tried hunting it in a long time.