Extend the season???

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Lol, it never ends. They need to start a special season for some special hunters. Deer season is 365 as it is. Learn to enjoy it, and take care of it, so it keeps on happening. Eat a mustard biscuit a few mornings a week, so the store restocks itself.
I saw an antlered buck chasing a doe during turkey season one time 10 years ago. I should have been able to shoot it with a turkey load using tungsten because the rut was still going.

Waddams

Parttime trophy hunters facepalm:

LOL, you're talking about me again!

Seriously though, I like the long season. I personally would lower the bag limit situationally (especially does) in counties/areas with low herd density, but do away with the weapons restrictions. Start season, hunt with your favorite implement, and enjoy yourself. I wouldn't object to lowering it to 2 bucks, 2 or 4 doe, though I don't think it would make a big difference as most don't kill more than that anyway.

My biggest reason for wanting the longer season is that I don't get the chance to go spend a whole month in the woods. My chances to get out are more limited in frequency, so the longer the season gives me more chances on that lower frequency. I see guys on here posting every day in the LFTT during the season and I just wonder "do they have jobs? how can get they spend so much time in the woods? i can't do that, i've gotta go to work!"

If you cut it to a month of bow and a month of rifle, I'll be able to hunt 2 or 3 days of it on a few weekends, and that'd be it.

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
I saw an antlered buck chasing a doe during turkey season one time 10 years ago. I should have been able to shoot it with a turkey load using tungsten because the rut was still going.
Yep, see cleaned out scrapes the first few of turkey season each year. Watching a buck and a doe eating in my plot on cam now. They were sparring the other night still. May have spotted a couple that's already shed too. I've timed out the peak of the 28 day cycles simply watching two cell cams. It's always deer season and I'm enjoying it.

WishboneW

[QUOTE="XIronheadX, post: 12098989,Eat a mustard biscuit a few mornings a week, so the store restocks itself.[/QUOTE]

But I like ketchup!

rugerfan

LOL, you're talking about me again!

Seriously though, I like the long season. I personally would lower the bag limit situationally (especially does) in counties/areas with low herd density, but do away with the weapons restrictions. Start season, hunt with your favorite implement, and enjoy yourself. I wouldn't object to lowering it to 2 bucks, 2 or 4 doe, though I don't think it would make a big difference as most don't kill more than that anyway.

My biggest reason for wanting the longer season is that I don't get the chance to go spend a whole month in the woods. My chances to get out are more limited in frequency, so the longer the season gives me more chances on that lower frequency. I see guys on here posting every day in the LFTT during the season and I just wonder "do they have jobs? how can get they spend so much time in the woods? i can't do that, i've gotta go to work!"

If you cut it to a month of bow and a month of rifle, I'll be able to hunt 2 or 3 days of it on a few weekends, and that'd be it.

I am with Waddams on this. I usually get 6 to 10 days in the woods during rifle season with the season the way it is. Cut that to a month, and I would bet I would probably get one, maybe 2 weekends and then that would be it. I would then have to re-evaluate whether the cost of the hunting license would even be worth it, and I would expect others would feel the same way, so then license sales could drop, which could mean a license increase to make up for that.

Then lets talk about the cost of leases, I hunt public land, because I do not want to spend the money on a lease, but if the season is cut to 2 months, would you reconsider the cost of lease? I know I would.

I say limit yourselves, just because the season is in, doesn't mean you have to be out there. I had a good year, got 2 deer , the best buck I have ever taken and a big bodied doe, so I am happy, have more meat than I need and gave some away to some old friends. I had a great year, saw a lot of deer that I chose not to shoot in the early season, but I would like to see more deer per sit, especially in the latter part of the season.

So increasing the season in different parts of the state could work, as long as in those areas the deer season starts later. Then the question would be how many people from the northern part of the state would be flocking to the southern part of the state to extend their seasons?

I do believe that the deer need to live peacefully in the woods for several months of the year without us hounding them all the time.

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
Yes let’s make it start on July 1 and end May 31
Any weapon you want to kill them beginning to end

People will still be complaining and wanting it longer because of some reason
You don't like having the long season we have? Too long? Too short? Just right? :huh:

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I am not slamming just curious.
Those who say they only have a few days to hunt out of the period from mid September until mid January.
Do y’all not prioritize hunting enough to schedule days/weeks off work for hunting?:huh:

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
Those who say they only have a few days to hunt out of the period from mid September until mid January.
Do y’all not prioritize hunting enough to schedule days/weeks off work for hunting?:huh:

Or call in sick with the worst flu ever in November. It only takes a second!:bounce:

Jim Boyd

SC

Has zones like NC.

Southern zone where I am is 15 Aug to 1 January, so roughly 135 days or 4.5 months.

Velvet bucks are taken reliably every year - with rifle. Occasionally, we get lucky and pop one with a bow. We do not have an archery season in my zone.

No leases available in my area. If there were, they would be $15/20 acre.

We are covered up in deer and have no hogs.

Our bag limits are super liberal (I don’t even know what they are) but again, we are covered in deer.

Best of luck.

Last edited:

DAVE

Night hunting should be allowed because a lot of folks work during the day and can't get out until after dark and besides in the winter the days are so short, even if you can take off work there just ain't enough daylight hours for a serious hunter.

rugerfan

I would like to make it more of priority, but the business I am in gets really busy during the the latter part of summer, fall and early winter. That is when the most money can be made. I am the head of my department and my work ethic does not allow me to leave the people that work under me hanging. Nobody within the company is allowed to take consecutive weeks off, especially during the busy season, even though some of us have multiple weeks of vacation to use. I may be able to sneak off in the afternoons a couple of times a year, but not often.

Everybody knows my work ethic, and calling in sick is not my standard operating procedure, and if I do, they would know I am hunting.

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
Kinda sounds like a bunch of liberals running the DNR doesn't it ? opening up deer hunting so everyone has an opportunity,,, except the deer herd ,,,,

What sounds liberal to me are folks that want to tell other folks how many horns a buck should be before it can be shot.

If someone wants to be a horn humper more power to them. They can shoot a big 'un.

If someone wants to shoot a spike more power to them as well.

These are basically piney woods goats we are talking about. Not some mythical unicorn. Although I have shot a unihorn back in the day.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
I surprised that a state the size of Georgia with several different geographic zones that vary from fairly high mountains to ag land to coastal swampland doesn't have a zone management system. NC is much the same geographically, and it is divided into 5 different deer zones, which often have vastly different seasons and either-sex regulations.

We do that in Georgia with respect to either-sex days, but there has been a strong public desire for a statewide deer season. We reached a point many years ago where extending the season didn't increase harvest or the number of days hunters hunted.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
We do that in Georgia with respect to either-sex days, but there has been a strong public desire for a statewide deer season. We reached a point many years ago where extending the season didn't increase harvest or the number of days hunters hunted.
I sure enjoy being able to go to my place in SC and rifle hunt in October (rut there) when the rifle season doesn't open here until Thanksgiving week.

dixiecutter

Eye Devour ReeB
What a silly thread. Folks in the SW portion of the state have to pack up and head home in the rut. So each January this topic pops up. It's a decent topic. On and on yall went for five pages this that and the other lol. whoever can't calm down and ponder the actual topic for a minute is ignernt. Aint got jack to do with whether or not certain area's does are shot out, or if so-and-so only likes big deer lol. Looks a lot like a bunch a uppity deerhunters that couldn't give two heaps about the handful of their brothers to the south that could legitimately benefit from trading out a few days.

GSPEED

At no time did North Georgia have many doe days or a large population, so if extending the season didn’t increase harvest what happened? Many years ago we had a huntable population.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
What a silly thread. Folks in the SW portion of the state have to pack up and head home in the rut. So each January this topic pops up. It's a decent topic. On and on yall went for five pages this that and the other lol. whoever can't calm down and ponder the actual topic for a minute is ignernt. Aint got jack to do with whether or not certain area's does are shot out, or if so-and-so only likes big deer lol. Looks a lot like a bunch a uppity deerhunters that couldn't give two heaps about the handful of their brothers to the south that could legitimately benefit from trading out a few days.
I personally think the folks huntin SW Ga have a little edge on me anyway.
They hunt SW,I hunt late January.

Lotta folks complaining from that area that I’ve actually seen there trophy room and wish my season would end early more often too.
You have all year to prepare for 4 months worth. Movin 2 weeks this a month that was never the problem.
Preparation and Location was.