Farmer’s Perspective of GA Hog Hunters

SELFBOW

Once again, you are giving feral hogs the same status you would give to a legitimate game species. What you are saying is like telling a farmer he doesn't need to use herbicides because that is unfair to the pigweed.

Hogs are not legitimate game animals--they are pests, and farmers want every one of them gone, whether dog hunters catch them, Jager shoots them, or someone calls down lightning bolts from heaven. There is no such thing as "unfair advantage" when it comes to dealing with pests. Discussions of "fair chase" have no place in the mix.

In an earlier post you said something about paying Jager to come shoot the hogs. My understanding is that Jager's services are free to the farmer--he charges his clients for the hunt.

You also mentioned getting "fifty PMs" from people who want to hunt. As has been said over and over, we aren't running a hunting preserve. We don't want fifty people we don't know running around the farm. We don't need sport hunters. We need someone who is willing and capable of a massacre, a "wholesale wanton slaughter" if you will.

The reason it keeps getting pushed here is that here is where the people who can help if they will are located, and here is where at least some of the people who cause the problem are, also. Here is where the people who have the misconception that feral hogs are legitimate game animals are located.

Only thing being pushed here is Jager's self promotion of his business because he NEEDS hunters to pay for his services. The .50 cents a mile he used to get just don't cut it anymore...

Last edited:

gnarlyone

wow!

PLP.....Well said....that about covers all issues for all sides..and the issue of sueing...there is a page in the hunting regs that discusses a bill introduced for the Land owner not being sued by someone they let hunt on thier land...does anybody know if this is in effect or just a submission?

redlevel

and the issue of sueing...there is a page in the hunting regs that discusses a bill introduced for the Land owner not being sued by someone they let hunt on thier land...does anybody know if this is in effect or just a submission?

Gnarlyone thats just an excuse and an easy way to say that we could never hunt on their land.

Landowner Liability & Hunting
7/8/2005

http://georgiawildlife.dnr.state.ga.us/content/displaycontent.asp?txtDocument=435
Legal liability has been identified as a major concern among landowners when considering whether or not to grant access to hunters to hunt their property. Legal liability has also been offered as a reason some landowners have stopped allowing hunter access to their property. This is an important issue of concern with the increasing need of sound deer management and hunting access.

To encourage landowners to make their lands available to the public for recreational purposes, including hunting and fishing, Georgia law (OCGA 51-3-20 through 51-3-26) explicitly shields landowners from civil liability for injuries to persons who use their land for recreational purposes without charge unless the landowner willfully or maliciously fails to guard against or warn of a dangerous condition, use, structure, or activity. Landowners will not be liable unless they violate this standard of care.

What this tells me is that you can hunt on my property, after I carefully explain where the fences, ditches, old wells, etc are located. Then, you or your son flip your four-wheeler crossing the gully on the back forty and is paralyzed. "I told you it was there," I say.
"Yeah," you say, "but you should have had it marked. See you in court."

Then I get to spend $15,000. on a lawyer to prove to a jury that I, the landowner, am not liable under the statute. I win the case. The lawyer still has my $15,000.

I suggest that if you want land to hunt hogs, deer, whatever, you buy some, put a hog-proof fence around it, release some hogs, and have at it. I am not running a preserve. I don't want your released hogs rooting up my crops, and I don't want every Tom, Dick and Harry, many of whom have proved right here on this forum that they have an attitude, roaming all over my farm.

Last edited:

Robk

Jager came and went last year and stayed gone until another member here brought his operation up in a post a couple months ago trashing his operation. If everyone would let it go and get back to normal he'd be gone in a minute to run his business.

Just an idea.

sghoghunter

Landowner Liability & Hunting
7/8/2005

http://georgiawildlife.dnr.state.ga.us/content/displaycontent.asp?txtDocument=435
Legal liability has been identified as a major concern among landowners when considering whether or not to grant access to hunters to hunt their property. Legal liability has also been offered as a reason some landowners have stopped allowing hunter access to their property. This is an important issue of concern with the increasing need of sound deer management and hunting access.

To encourage landowners to make their lands available to the public for recreational purposes, including hunting and fishing, Georgia law (OCGA 51-3-20 through 51-3-26) explicitly shields landowners from civil liability for injuries to persons who use their land for recreational purposes without charge unless the landowner willfully or maliciously fails to guard against or warn of a dangerous condition, use, structure, or activity. Landowners will not be liable unless they violate this standard of care.

What this tells me is that you can hunt on my property, after I carefully explain where the fences, ditches, old wells, etc are located. Then, you or your son flip your four-wheeler crossing the gully on the back forty and is paralyzed. "I told you it was there," I say.
"Yeah," you say, "but you should have had it marked. See you in court."

Then I get to spend $15,000. on a lawyer to prove to a jury that I, the landowner, am not liable under the statute. I win the case. The lawyer still has my $15,000.

I suggest that if you want land to hunt hogs, deer, whatever, you buy some, put a hog-proof fence around it, release some hogs, and have at it. I am not running a preserve. I don't want your released hogs rooting up my crops, and I don't want every Tom, Dick and Harry, many of whom have proved right here on this forum that they have an attitude, roaming all over my farm.

To me if you have to worry about people suing you then you must be around a diffrent kind of folks than me.Oh why not put a fence around your place and keep them,what yall call relocated hogs out of your farm.:rolleyes:I dont think I'll ever own a farm seeing that I have to work for everything and have never had anything just handed down and the way the world is today it aint lookn to promising.

Public Land Prowler

Once again, you are giving feral hogs the same status you would give to a legitimate game species. What you are saying is like telling a farmer he doesn't need to use herbicides because that is unfair to the pigweed.

Hogs are not legitimate game animals--they are pests, and farmers want every one of them gone, whether dog hunters catch them, Jager shoots them, or someone calls down lightning bolts from heaven. There is no such thing as "unfair advantage" when it comes to dealing with pests. Discussions of "fair chase" have no place in the mix.

In an earlier post you said something about paying Jager to come shoot the hogs. My understanding is that Jager's services are free to the farmer--he charges his clients for the hunt.

You also mentioned getting "fifty PMs" from people who want to hunt. As has been said over and over, we aren't running a hunting preserve. We don't want fifty people we don't know running around the farm. We don't need sport hunters. We need someone who is willing and capable of a massacre, a "wholesale wanton slaughter" if you will.

The reason it keeps getting pushed here is that here is where the people who can help if they will are located, and here is where at least some of the people who cause the problem are, also. Here is where the people who have the misconception that feral hogs are legitimate game animals are located.
It is your right as the landowner to say who comes on your property.I agree.Even though I do not agree with the method,it is legal,so be it..But you don't get one point.OK so he is USING the farmers to hunt THEIR hogs,on THEIR property,and HE makes all the money off of it.The one and only bonus for the farmer is that the hogs are gone.It is up to the farmer/landowner to decide if he wants them gone enough to pretty much re-pay Jager by letting him make money off of him.If that is cool with you then whatever..lol

Hogs are not a weed,they are a living breathing animal,that deserves respect as well.Just because they are not labeled a game animal,doesn't mean they aren't a game animal,because they are actually a game animal to many...I'm not going weed/boll weevil hunt..lol

HE is coming on here advertising his services...be it someone out of the blue asks,or either if it is planned for someone to bring the subject up.Using the forum to make money isn't what the forum is for is it?What would be the problem in going to swap and sell member services,posting it there,and that would be the end of it.

Also this thread was started by jager.

Also, I can't think of any farmers in my area that don't let people hunt hogs on their property. Most likely if the farmer has hogs, it's not that he's not letting anyone else hunt them, he just may not be letting YOU hunt them.
I agree...and usually for a good reason.One bad apple spoils the whole bunch.I can't say that I blame a farmer/landowner for that.That's why I suggested the sub-forum where reputable hunters could be found if the landowner/farmer was too overwhelmed with hogs,or too busy to handle it himself.It of course is his decision if he wants to seek outside help..

This whole thing likens me to someone sticking their hand in a boiling pot of water to grab money at the bottom of it...You know it's hot,but you want the money,you stick your hand in and ask everyone for help to get your hand out,someone approaches to help,and you turn them away,but keep screaming....when in fact you could just pull it out yourself.

redlevel

But you don't get one point.OK so he is USING the farmers to hunt THEIR hogs,on THEIR property,and HE makes all the money off of it.The one and only bonus for the farmer is that the hogs are gone.It is up to the farmer/landowner to decide if he wants them gone enough to pretty much re-pay Jager by letting him make money off of him.If that is cool with you then whatever..lol

Hogs are not a weed,they are a living breathing animal,that deserves respect as well.Just because they are not labeled a game animal,doesn't mean they aren't a game animal,because they are actually a game animal to many...I'm not going weed/boll weevil hunt..lol

Hogs in my crops deserve the same respect roaches in your kitchen deserve; they are both living, breathing animals, right?

As far as Jager "using" farmers, suppose he shows up with a crew to pull cockleburs out of my soybeans. I was going to hire a crew, but Jager says, "No. These people are willing to pay me big money to pull your weeds. I will make some money, and it won't cost you a thing. Your weeds will be gone." I would let him "use" me like that every time.

And guess what? All of you who cry and complain and say call me to hunt, or let hunters on your place. You want to "use" the landowner. You want a free place to hunt. How is it different from Jager coming in, except that he will actually kill enough hogs to do some good.

Oh, I guess I am just dumb, but you are going to have to explain to me what that last paragraph about turning someone away, the boiling water, etc. means. Do you mean turning away all those folks who want somewhere free to hunt?

bigreddwon

The 27-28th Im huntin with Jager.. I could give a warm bucket of spit IF he was getting paid 30 bucks a hog from the farmer and getting my cash as well..

Hes NOT being paid by the farmers, but in my opinion, it wouldn't take from my hunt, or take from the results the farmer gets, or the farmer next door who's NOT getting 90% of a sounders 'pushed' onto his property from 'other' control methods.

The only people who seem to have a problem with him to me at least, seem petty and narrow minded. Upset that hes making a living at it one, and two, hunting where they will never get to hunt..

Hunters are perceived as being ineffective, as well as part of the problem (relocation). Jager gets on these property's, THEN he tell THE REST of the guys who screwed it up, HOW to get BACK on the property's.. What do they do? They not only DONT listen, the vilify him in several ways "Hes not a hunter" "hes only out to make himself money".

The way I see it, he didnt have to put a post up telling hunters who already screwed THEMSELVES outta good 'hunting' grounds, the best way to get BACK onto them. But he did, and every word was dripping in common sence and had a genreal underlying thread of "Lets all work together to change how were looked at as a whole". Its just not enough for some I guess.

Public Land Prowler

. You want to "use" the landowner. You want a free place to hunt. How is it different from Jager coming in, except that he will actually kill enough hogs to do some good.

Oh, I guess I am just dumb, but you are going to have to explain to me what that last paragraph about turning someone away, the boiling water, etc. means. Do you mean turning away all those folks who want somewhere free to hunt?
LOL..You are a tough one red.

No...What I am saying is there are people willing to PAY the landowner directly to help with his problem.If you would rather not have the money because you don't want the people on your land THAT is your decision.You want to pay someone to massacre your hogs,that is your decision.The point was as stated by several people time and again,that alot of people whine and complain,and when they get asked for permission they turn people away.

I still fail to understand why you disapporove of giving a free hunt to someone who can help you with your problem,and admire the fact a man can use you to make money for himself at your expense?Maybe I am dumb when it comes to that..lol

There are people who would be willing to help you with chores,or pay you to hunt your property,and be rid of what you so despise.And they are not doing it for the sole reason of selfishly making money,they are doing it for the love of the sport.

I will say you don't let go when you bite on to something,much like me..lol,but can I ask you why would you not let me come hunt your farm if I signed a paper,helped you with chores,or paid you to hunt it?I have an excelllent reputation in my area,and I wouldn't disrespect you or your property.Why not let me come help?:biggrin2:

BTW I have access to tons of land,and have no shortage of hogs.I get all that I can handle,so I am not a begger,just curious to why you stand at your position.

Agreed Jager does have a way with some people.Doesn't make me jealous or dislike him as a person.

bigreddwon

LOL..You are a tough one red.

I still fail to understand why you disapporove of giving a free hunt to someone who can help you with your problem,and admire the fact a man can use you to make money for himself at your expense?Maybe I am dumb when it comes to that..lol

I:

PLP, I gotta say man, the very thing that seems to have your hackles up is kinda.. HOW AMERICANS OPERATE, Ya know, capitolism. If a guy can make a buck helping someone take care of a PROBLEM, well.. Isnt that kinda the description of most companys we all know and love?

The guys who sell pesticides to farmers arent made out to be robber barrons like you kinda have Jager pigionholed as. Why not? the farmers need them, why shouldnt the pesticide company find a way to give it to them at cost, or less?

sghoghunter

The 27-28th Im huntin with Jager.. I could give a warm bucket of spit IF he was getting paid 30 bucks a hog from the farmer and getting my cash as well..

Hes NOT being paid by the farmers, but in my opinion, it wouldn't take from my hunt, or take from the results the farmer gets, or the farmer next door who's NOT getting 90% of a sounders 'pushed' onto his property from 'other' control methods.

The only people who seem to have a problem with him to me at least, seem petty and narrow minded. Upset that hes making a living at it one, and two, hunting where they will never get to hunt..

Hunters are perceived as being ineffective, as well as part of the problem (relocation). Jager gets on these property's, THEN he tell THE REST of the guys who screwed it up, HOW to get BACK on the property's.. What do they do? They not only DONT listen, the vilify him in several ways "Hes not a hunter" "hes only out to make himself money".

The way I see it, he didnt have to put a post up telling hunters who already screwed THEMSELVES outta good 'hunting' grounds, the best way to get BACK onto them. But he did, and every word was dripping in common sence and had a genreal underlying thread of "Lets all work together to change how were looked at as a whole". Its just not enough for some I guess.
Be sure to post some pics.::ke:

SELFBOW

Are they coming to you to help with the hogs?
Isn't that what you want?
Are you saying Jager is paid to hunt your property?

Again What is Redlevel doing to solve his hog problem?
What is his neighbors doing to solve his hog problem?

Complaining gets you nothing, not even a little respect.:stir:

gnarlyone

Well...

Somebody thinks enough of a hog to make me buy a HUNTING LICENSE to catch them.....No guns...no bows....just a dog or 2 .......HUMMMMMM???????
BTW.....LLTWH:fine:

redlevel

"What I am saying is there are people willing to PAY the landowner directly to help with his problem.If you would rather not have the money because you don't want the people on your land THAT is your decision."

If I charge you a fee, then that automatically heightens my assumption of liability. It isn't worth it. Yes, that is my decision.

"You want to pay someone to massacre your hogs,that is your decision."

Once again, Jager does not charge the farmer for his services.

"The point was as stated by several people time and again,that alot of people whine and complain,and when they get asked for permission they turn people away.

I still fail to understand why you disapporove of giving a free hunt to someone who can help you with your problem,and admire the fact a man can use you to make money for himself at your expense?Maybe I am dumb when it comes to that..lol"

Time and again you make reference to "fair chase," "sportsmanlike," etc. Sport hunters cannot do us any good. Giving a "free hunt" to someone who might or might not kill a hog or two isn't doing the farmer any good. Again, people who are doing this for sport are absolutely no help. The whining I hear is from people who want a free hunt.

"I will say you don't let go when you bite on to something,much like me..lol,but can I ask you why would you not let me come hunt your farm if I signed a paper,helped you with chores,or paid you to hunt it?I have an excelllent reputation in my area,and I wouldn't disrespect you or your property.Why not let me come help?"

1. As I stated before, you wouldn't be any help. I need someone to massacre hogs, not hunt them.

2. PM me any time in January or February and you can hunt quail or rabbits with me. No charge. No chores. No need to sign a paper. Maybe you could help pay for a few quail, or if you have some good beagles, bring them. I'll even feed you a wild hog supper.

Latest posts