For you hunters 55 and older

Wifeshusband

65, and, yep, ladders, and the ladder are getting shorter to. Lord, I remember back in the 70's, couple of 2x4's with a sheet of plywood
across two trunks up 20-25 ft. No safety harness. We were young, strong and foolish back then and have lived to tell about it. Climbers came along
to save us, but I had my incidents with them. Once lost the bottom portion from about 20 ft., it and the rifle hit the bottom. I managed to catch the top part as I went through it, and swing my legs around tree, to eventually "shinny" my way down. Good thing I had so much practice during my childhood.

Buckstop

Joined the club two years back. Noticed over the last 5 years, without any conscious decision, my climbers got phased out and box blinds and double ladders got phased in. Figured out more about what I want to get out of it these days. Still looking forward to the next season and hopefully several more.

Last edited:

Wifeshusband

Miguel mentioned in another thread that us older codgers need our own sub forum. That probably aint gonna happen but here something I will add.

I have a good friend who is like me and has some health issues that have slowed him down. He has chosen to give up on hunting and the outdoors all together. :confused:

I am gonna give up about 2 days before the funeral personally.

Stroker

I'll be 69 in less than two weeks and still climb "if" the location is best hunted from a climber. Got a few ladder stands as well, but in the last 10 years I've killed the majority of my deer from the ground sitting in brush blinds(aka>snake pits) that I build.

Gbr5pb

Turn 62 if I live to 14th. Timber company cleared about a acre plot in front of box stand last year. When finally got fall mix to come up realized sitting in a chair under a roof with sides and seeing deer every time I set was pretty nice! Good signal could keep up with scores and live from the tree was pretty nice too! Haha call me a wuss

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Turn 62 if I live to 14th. Timber company cleared about a acre plot in front of box stand last year. When finally got fall mix to come up realized sitting in a chair under a roof with sides and seeing deer every time I set was pretty nice! Good signal could keep up with scores and live from the tree was pretty nice too! Haha call me a wuss

Not a wus at all. That is proof that you have arrived at an understanding of why you hunt. For enjoyment!!!!
I have several stands like you described. I sit in them to hunt and even in the off season just to watch Gods creation.

Cold and wet hunting is a thing of the past for me.

GeorgiaGlockMan

Lol.

If you call that box blind a "sniper's nest", you'll feel better about yourself..

I learned that from elfiii.

Last edited:

CaptKeith

Almost 65 and hunting public Land. Can’t draw my bow due to a bum shoulder now, so I bought a crossbow last year. I’m no longer comfortable climbing, so I bought a Ghost Blind. As you can see, while I can’t do as much, I can buy more toys To compensate!

georgia_home

55. Decided to start getting ready for an antelope hunt coming this year.

When the rona set in, started walking daily several miles per day, Hills, level, and just a little jog at a few spots along the way.

June 22, crossing the street. Last step before curb. Twisted my right knee.

Xrays, ultrasound, mri. Damaged manuscus, partial torn lateral collateral ligament, tendinitis, and of course arthritis. Oh boy. Got a cortisone shot.

Pinched nerve in neck popped up about a week and a half ago.

Hunt starts next Saturday. Oh boy, this is gonna be fun! I am going, but the medicine cabinet will be there. Hope things work out.