For you hunters 55 and older

Buford_Dawg

401k has taken a 10.5 % hit so far, expect that to probably go as far as 15% at some point over the next few months, then start moving back up. My plans have always to retire at 60, still expecting that but if the market is slow to recover (>3 Years), then I may be pushed back to 62. Time will tell. We are trying to do things we always do, just avoid large crowds. If everyone just shuts down and stays home, then pretty much all small businesses and such will go under. They need our support.

Mommasue

Not 55 but I do and have hunted with plenty that are. Hunting is lower on the priority list. When I was younger the roads on Friday night and camps were full of deer hunters especially on opening gun day and doe days. Now days it doesn't take much of excuse to keep people home. I think the womenz have more of a say so than they use to.

Depends on what woman ya got I reckon, mines 64 and she in the woods as much as I am during season

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I was going to retire soon. I may decide to wait until the stock market recovers.

Jim Boyd

To start, 25% reduction in 401k funds - and we are nowhere near the end.

Likely means at least another year - maybe 2-3 to work before retirement.

Was supposed to work in Houston this week and Dallas the week following (delivering training) and both of those are postponed.

The sky is not falling and we are still blessed!

YankeeRedneck

This is a great thread thanks for raising it from the dead!!
I too am pushing 57 and go a little slower than I used too butt...I still have that burning desire to see a nice buck or fox and spend time in the woods with God and family. I have an old tree lounge in the garage and haven't used it in years and every time i see it i say this is the year!! but I am afraid it's to heavy and i really enjoy ladder stands now.
P.S.I am NOT even going to look at my 401K I work in the airline industry :eek:

Buford_Dawg

401k has taken a 10.5 % hit so far, expect that to probably go as far as 15% at some point over the next few months, then start moving back up. My plans have always to retire at 60, still expecting that but if the market is slow to recover (>3 Years), then I may be pushed back to 62. Time will tell. We are trying to do things we always do, just avoid large crowds. If everyone just shuts down and stays home, then pretty much all small businesses and such will go under. They need our support.

Oh well, I was wrong, real wrong, 401k took another 6% hit yesterday, now sitting at 17% down, Jim Boyd may be on target with his prediction of 25%. It that is true, my desire to retire in 3 years has taken a huge nosedive. Cant wait to get to camp Friday afternoon and forget all this mess for a few days and chase turkeys.

Jim Boyd

Oh well, I was wrong, real wrong, 401k took another 6% hit yesterday, now sitting at 17% down, Jim Boyd may be on target with his prediction of 25%. It that is true, my desire to retire in 3 years has taken a huge nosedive. Cant wait to get to camp Friday afternoon and forget all this mess for a few days and chase turkeys.

I don’t beleive the sky is falling (it’s not) but if you have a portfolio that is a fairly equal mix of stocks and bonds, I think a prediction of a 40-45% drop in fund total is very likely and realistic.

For younger folks with a more aggressive portfolio, the reductions will likely be greater than that.

18K on the Dow will surprise no one at this point and we can see 16K.

If we see the latter, the Dow drop will be roughly - what - 45%....

No worries, if I have to work a few years longer (I am 63), I can totally deal with that.

Above all - be safe and don’t panic with your money.

Triple C

This one is really, really weird BD. As bad as 2009 financial crisis was, this one has much more panic around it. It's like folks are are all walking around with deer in the headlights look. And I 'm one of em! Nothing, including financial crisis, has caused a total shutdown of our entire economy overnight like this has. Ain't nobody gonna get out of this without experiencing financial pain in one form or another.

Gbr5pb

Not going to look at my TSP. Get a quarterly statement and I’m sure it will be ugly! Already retired so may have to cut back more! Hopefully can find enough to pay lease if it’s not sold

As long as I am able I'm going to be in the woods, scouting, checking my game cams, hunting deer, using my climber, looking for sheds. Just enjoying God's creation Can't walk as far as I used to, have to take more breaks but have an ATV for back-up. (70 years old). My engine light comes on more than it used to, but I get repaired and keep going.

Bud Man

Looking forward to October 18 , that will be my last day with corporate America lol . 36.5 yrs. with one employer and leaving at 55. My wife is a little older and has been retired for 3 yrs. waiting on my day. For some reason, just a gut feeling , I got 86% out of the stock market in July of last year and man am I glad now . Dumb luck I guess. Looking forward to having my schedule instead of a job schedule. I love the outdoors and cant wait.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Bump for any corona virus related old folks stuff ?????

shdw633

I'm 54 & planning on working 5 more, Lord willing.
33 years is enough.

I said that when I was your age....now I'm 59 and will work another 6 before I hang up my shingle. I got too good of insurance to retire now.

Jim Boyd

Bump for any corona virus related old folks stuff ?????

All good here.

People are affected though.

Lost my Illinois hunt partner for at least this year / they are requiring him to use his vacation while the office is shut down.

There will be more impact to come - but the sky is not falling.

This too will pass.

Be safe, all and be smart.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I gotta go get my first ever nuclear stress test and echocardiogram this Thursday. That is if they don’t cancel it.

After that I’m thinking of sheltering in place down to our place on Sinclair and loading up on a heavy dose of pine pollen for a few days. I will drown a few minnows but not pose a threat to the crappie population.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I gotta go get my first ever nuclear stress test and echocardiogram this Thursday. That is if they don’t cancel it.

After that I’m thinking of sheltering in place down to our place on Sinclair and loading up on a heavy dose of pine pollen for a few days. I will drown a few minnows but not pose a threat to the crappie population.

Good luck with it. I had one last year and it took a lot out of me. Took me two weeks to get completely over it. That thing was tough.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Thanks Nic. I haven’t heard that before.

Latest posts