Ford dealership wont work on anything over 10 years old.

turkeykirk

Guess they don’t need the money. :biggrin3:

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
All I can figure is theyre too tied up on warranty work on the new crap theyre selling.
I would venture to say, it's a lack of employees (Service Techs). Every dealership on Satellite is looking.

Tight Lines

My Jeep dealership is 2 months out on repairs. I think it's a function of needing techs. When I've taken it in, there are not a lot of cars in the shop...it's a '21

SLY22

Useles Member !
I called Gwinnett Place Ford to see about getting some gaskets on a 2000 F150 for my son, only to be told they wont take anything into their shop over 10 years old.
All I can say is WOW.
Anybody ever heard of such a thing?
Local ATV Yamaha dealership told me the same thing. Nothing older than a 2013 and they are running 6 to 7 weeks out.

transfixer

Good experienced techs have finally realized they can make more money working at independent shops than they can at dealers, parts availability has highlighted that in the last two or three years,,, independent shops can source parts wherever available, most dealerships aren't allowed to, although some are !

I've been recruited by dealerships a couple times in the last 20yrs, both times the top pay they said I could make working for them , would have been a pay cut from what I was already making

hopper

Most good techs can make more money working for independent shops, Try Team Ryan automotive in Buford, Good family owned shop that wins best of Gwinette every year.
They just opened one up in Cumming. Hope they keep a good reputation with the growth. I have used the twice here and am pretty pleased

specialk

just found out recently that most dealerships don't even have a body shop either.....

bighonkinjeep

I gave up on Fords in 1993 after back to back lemons (1991 &1993 models) from Stone Mountain Ford. They really put the screws to me and I swore Id never buy another. Against my advice my son bought a used one as a second vehicle for his family and im trying to help him keep it running.

I really dont think it has anything to do with a "worker shortage" but more of a if they start taking apart the old plastic crap they've been building cars out of, they'll break/tear up more than they fix and be on the hook for parts they may or may not be able to get. This and a factory nameplate more interested in selling new than keeping old customers on the road and happy. Think they've got the dont build em too good/disposable cars mentality over at Ford.

transfixer

There are many, many parts that manufacturers no longer support on vehicles as old as 15 to 20 yrs old, I don't know if its an inventory thing ? or not worth it to manufacture them for an unknown amount that will be purchased ?

jdgator

Good experienced techs have finally realized they can make more money working at independent shops than they can at dealers, parts availability has highlighted that in the last two or three years,,, independent shops can source parts wherever available, most dealerships aren't allowed to, although some are !

I've been recruited by dealerships a couple times in the last 20yrs, both times the top pay they said I could make working for them , would have been a pay cut from what I was already making

My local Chevy dealerships expects techs to upsell services. Someone behind a desk came up with metrics and an accountability plan for penalizing them for not hitting up-sales rates. The service writer pages the tech and the tech has to come running up and say "sir, you need your headlights clear-coated for 249.50" or whatever. It also passes the cherry jobs to a few senior techs and everyone else struggles to stay on book rates.

In general I think flat rate fees for complex diagnostics have driven many young folks out. And the young folks don't want to go 20k into debt to the tool trucks just to get started.

transfixer

My local Chevy dealerships expects techs to upsell services. Someone behind a desk came up with metrics and an accountability plan for penalizing them for not hitting up-sales rates. The service writer pages the tech and the tech has to come running up and say "sir, you need your headlights clear-coated for 249.50" or whatever. It also passes the cherry jobs to a few senior techs and everyone else struggles to stay on book rates.

In general I think flat rate fees for complex diagnostics have driven many young folks out. And the young folks don't want to go 20k into debt to the tool trucks just to get started.

Yeah, I've never liked situations like that, the independent shops that are run correctly use a checkout sheet that covers the whole car, a tech will check the vehicle for the customer complaint, and suggest what is needed to remedy it, then look over the rest of the car to see if anything else needs attention, and mark those items as "should be done " , or " needs to be done in the future", or " good " , items related to safety, such as brakes or suspension/steering items can be marked as "hazardous" , or " not safe to drive" ,

It should be solely up to the service writer to get approval for items, techs are techs,, not sales people !

I have a couple friends that are long time techs at dealerships, they complain about " gravy" jobs being given to less experienced techs because the dealership pays those guys less per hour than the senior techs, so the dealership keeps more money if the newer guys do the work