Ford dealership wont work on anything over 10 years old.

transfixer

trans...Just curious what you think about the new 10 speed tranny in the current GMC models.

Just traded my 2017 Sierra 1500 with 109,000 miles on it as the transmission was beginning to have issues. Bought a '23 Sierra AT4 with the 3.0 liter turbo diesel and 10 speed tranny.

A month old and I love this truck. Transmission is incredibly smooth and the 3.0 liter turbo diesel seems to have as much get up and go as my old gasser. Plus 600 miles to the tank @24 miles to the gallon vs 16 on my old gasser.

Only hoping I get more than a 100K out of the tranny before it starts acting up.

They've not been on the market long enough for us to see them at independent shops, I've heard they are already showing up at dealers with issues, we do know they will have the same torque converter failures that the 6spds have had, and those converters are manufactured differently, which is going to make it extremely difficult to remanufacture them is what we're being told

transfixer

I would advise anyone that has one of the new 10spd automatics to get the extended warranty from the dealer if at all possible, you will need it at some point . that goes for Ford or GM, Just don't buy one of the aftermarket extended warranties please, virtually all of those companies are crooked as a snake , and about as trustworthy!

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
I love my F150. I've loved my Fords for 30 years. I've also learned to worked on them myself like most things. If you really don't know how to work on your own vehicle, you should really learn. It will save you time, money and peace of mind.

I would advise anyone that has one of the new 10spd automatics to get the extended warranty from the dealer if at all possible, you will need it at some point . that goes for Ford or GM, Just don't buy one of the aftermarket extended warranties please, virtually all of those companies are crooked as a snake , and about as trustworthy!
I figure anything made now will have issues. I have no plans to keep mine long term. To much electronics etc..I will get rid of it and buy another new.

basshappy

BANNED
I love my F150. I've loved my Fords for 30 years. I've also learned to worked on them myself like most things. If you really don't know how to work on your own vehicle, you should really learn. It will save you time, money and peace of mind.

My 10 year old boy doing his first shock, rotor, pads, and wheel bearing job last July. He said it was a long work session BUT he liked it once things started happening. I think he liked the grime on his hands more than anything. LOL. I have tried since he could understand things to educate him on the real value of being able to do and provide for oneself anyone's family.

PS yes I clench when I see anyone especially a kid under a vehicle BUT our van was on two jack stands and two jacks. Proof for mom that our boy was safe.

20220628_125323.jpg

bighonkinjeep

Yup been working on vehicles since before I was old enough for a drivers license. Been in the dirt and mud, the driveway, the carport and shop. Once a man reaches a certain age and has a certain amount of wear and tear on him then climbing into an engine bay and rolling on a creeper loses a lot of its appeal and often the juice just aint worth the squeeze anymore.
Finding someone trustworthy and detail oreinted can be tough but at least basic mechanical knowledge and having done most of my own repairs helps ward off the shysters.

westcobbdog

My son got his F150 in an independent shop near his home today. Did the diagnostic today and supposed to be repaired tomorrow.
As for me, after swearing off and at Fords, I bought a brand new 2002 Toyota with the 4.7 V8. Its been paid for since 2007 and been maintenance only with only one breakdown last summer when the alternator went out after 20 years of service. Think I'll probably drive it till the wheels fall off. Then put em back on and keep going.... if I do need a new one I know where my business is going.
I too bought an 02 4Runner brand new, sold her at 465k still running great. No engine issues st all. On my 3rd one now. Bought a used 05 limited V8 from an old lady who hardly used it. Will keep it a long time....

jdgator

Good techs get abused plain and simple.

The dealerships profit-engineered their techs into misery. Death of a thousand cuts. Up until 2020 they knew exactly how far they could push people before they left. They just don't like that in a post-covid world folks aren't taking it anymore. I am sure that right now the dealer lobby is working with the US Chamber of Commerce on plans to import techs from other countries.

WishboneW

What is not funny anymore is when they flat out tell you, we don’t work on carburetors, on cars, motorcycles, or atvs. I purchased a ultrasonic cleaner that’ll make a carburetor look new in 60 minutes.

My friend was restoring a 54 Chevy truck with a 327 topped with triple deuce Rochester carbs. Three supposed shops wouldn’t touch them. I tried to talk him into a new single 4 barrel, nope.

I went through those carbs three times before I got them right. But when I got them right, that truck would snap your neck.
Sounds like a business opportunity for you, rebuilding carbs, or at least cleaning them for those of us that still use carbs

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
All of the bigger mechanic and tire shops around here are begging for help. I’ve always done my own repairs, no telling how much money I’ve saved doing that. I draw the line at rebuilding engines and transmissions though. Just replaced a door and fender on my Ol work truck today that a deer destroyed. No telling what a body shop would have charged.

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
With all the 'how-to' videos out there on youtube, it really comes down to your level of confidence.

I didn't grow up working on cars, but in the last 5-10 years on my F150(s), I have:

Changed the differential fluid,
Replaced shocks all around,
Replaced rotors, brakes, etc.
Replaced bearings (well, rotors & bearings),
Replaced IWE actuator for front 4WD,
Do all my own oil changes,
Replaced timing solenoids,
Removed/cleaned throttle body,
Changes spark plugs & Coil Packs,
Installed a winch,
Replaced door handles,
Replaced thermostat,
Installed new stereos/speakers,
Installed backup camera,
Replaced anti-lock brake sensor,
Found/sealed leak at the rear/cab brake/backup light...

I drew the line at replacing the timing chain and locking out the cam phasers on my 06 Triton V8. I found a shop that did it for $1500 (shop posted above). Like @bighonkinjeep said, the juice wasn't worth the squeeze on that one, for me.

jdgator

I drew the line at replacing the timing chain and locking out the cam phasers on my 06 Triton V8. I found a shop that did it for $1500 (shop posted above). Like @bighonkinjeep said, the juice wasn't worth the squeeze on that one, for me.

I suspect the money you save doing your own maintenance and lube more than makes up for paying a professional to do work that requires judgment and experience.

DAWG1419

"Ford dealership wont work on anything over 10 years old."​

Outside of their trucks and Mustangs.....how many 10 year old Fords are still running, anyway ????

:huh:
I run my 1999 f350 dully 7.3 diesel every day for work. Oh and I have a 2004 f250 extended cab 6.0 we run for side jobs every week.

Buford_Dawg

My 2014 F-150 going as strong as ever. I am not tied to a particular brand, but I must say the Fords I have owned have been outstanding vehicles. Currently driving both a F150 and a Chevrolet Colorado.

Redbow

I know I am done with GM except for my old '86 Chevy Silverado. Ford, no thank you. If I ever buy another vehicle it will probably be a new Tacoma.

Dub

I run my 1999 f350 dully 7.3 diesel every day for work. Oh and I have a 2004 f250 extended cab 6.0 we run for side jobs every week.

Falls under the category of “trucks” in the post you quoted. (y)

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
My local Chevy dealerships expects techs to upsell services. Someone behind a desk came up with metrics and an accountability plan for penalizing them for not hitting up-sales rates. The service writer pages the tech and the tech has to come running up and say "sir, you need your headlights clear-coated for 249.50" or whatever. It also passes the cherry jobs to a few senior techs and everyone else struggles to stay on book rates.

In general I think flat rate fees for complex diagnostics have driven many young folks out. And the young folks don't want to go 20k into debt to the tool trucks just to get started.

It ain't just Chevy. The local Yota dealership told my wife the tires on her '19 4 Runner with 12K miles on it had "dry rot" and needed to be replaced. I wish I had been there to hear what she said to the Service Manager. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: