GONer Memorial Day week at Saint Mark's.

Bigbendgyrene

Despite living 16 miles from the coast, finally put the boat in salt for the first time this year on Sunday (repowering boat & covid ramp closures mostly to blame).

Bit choppy in the morning but managed to run to a few spots I hoped would hold cobia, and buddy and I tagged and released 4 that were just an inch or two short. Should add they stay around all summer, generally until late September before they migrate back to deeper waters... BUT targeting them means pretty much giving up serious efforts for trouts, reds, and other fish caught drifting, and can be a trade off for EXTREMELY slow days for 1 or even NO cobes versus fun drifting catching LOTS more fish.

Joe Fight 2 - 1200.jpg

Joe Cobia 2 - 1200.jpg

Picture below shows why I only gaff them if they're massive and OBVIOUSLY bigger than the required limit... so many we catch are right at the required limit so I've learned to judge them short until actually putting tape on them.

Joe Cobia 1- 1200.jpg

Trip out was to celebrate buddy's graduation from graduate school, so at his request we decided to see if we could find any tripletail, as neither of us had ever caught one. He managed to get one fairly quickly, though again, just an inch ore two short.

IMG_9165 (C) 1200.jpg

IMG_9154 (C) - 1200.jpg

Kind of funny reading about folks having issues with puffers and short trout... we didn't catch the first puffer and almost all of our trout were keepers. Blessedly managed to limit out fairly quickly.

IMG_9170 (C) - 1200.jpg

Most intense moment of the day was having a line scream like a king had taken it, only to scan all around for the line and see it going up to THIS frigate bird. Blessedly it dropped the bait but then flew around us for about 5 minutes, quite aggressively and obviously wanting another bait. Kind of freaky looking -- like a mix between a GIANT seagull, bald eagle, and wide-winged pterodactyl.

Frigate 4 (C) - 1200.jpg

Waters were mirror smooth at day's end and reminded me just why I love fishing the coast so much... like a balm that soothes my soul.

IMG_9195 (C) - 1200.jpg

Bigbendgyrene

And don't think I've shared this on the forum before (beg forgiveness if I did and forgot), but this video likely will speak to quite a few of y'all that enjoy coming down to visit our Big Bend waters... and most of the pics were actually taken by a Georgia fella (with just a few thrown in by me).

Last edited:

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
Rolled in about 2:15 safe and sound. Coolers and buckets soaking in bleach water.
Equipment performed well.
All you can ask for.
I'll be back 6/15 in cabin 11 if anyone happens wander by.

doomtrpr_z71

Despite living 16 miles from the coast, finally put the boat in salt for the first time this year on Sunday (repowering boat & covid ramp closures mostly to blame).

Bit choppy in the morning but managed to run to a few spots I hoped would hold cobia, and buddy and I tagged and released 4 that were just an inch or two short. Should add they stay around all summer, generally until late September before they migrate back to deeper waters... BUT targeting them means pretty much giving up serious efforts for trouts, reds, and other fish caught drifting, and can be a trade off for EXTREMELY slow days for 1 or even NO cobes versus fun drifting catching LOTS more fish.

View attachment 1018958

View attachment 1018959

Picture below shows why I only gaff them if they're massive and OBVIOUSLY bigger than the required limit... so many we catch are right at the required limit so I've learned to judge them short until actually putting tape on them.

View attachment 1018960

Trip out was to celebrate buddy's graduation from graduate school, so at his request we decided to see if we could find any tripletail, as neither of us had ever caught one. He managed to get one fairly quickly, though again, just an inch ore two short.

View attachment 1018961

View attachment 1018962

Kind of funny reading about folks having issues with puffers and short trout... we didn't catch the first puffer and almost all of our trout were keepers. Blessedly managed to limit out fairly quickly.

View attachment 1018963

Most intense moment of the day was having a line scream like a king had taken it, only to scan all around for the line and see it going up to THIS frigate bird. Blessedly it dropped the bait but then flew around us for about 5 minutes, quite aggressively and obviously wanting another bait. Kind of freaky looking -- like a mix between a GIANT seagull, bald eagle, and wide-winged pterodactyl.

View attachment 1018967

Waters were mirror smooth at day's end and reminded me just why I love fishing the coast so much... like a balm that soothes my soul.

View attachment 1018964
Quite a way to celebrate that MD, I don't think any of my graduation trips were as bountiful.

slow motion

Slo Mo, maybe my next time down we should get together.
I hate I missed you rhis week.
I'll be back July 4th and maybe once before.
It sounss like you're alot closer than I am. I'll try to flip you a PM when I get a date in mind you'd be.

You too, @EastmanFireFighter ...?
Ill provide the sled if it will make things easy,,,
Sounds like a plan my friend. Not sure if I will make it the 4th or not yet, work is crazy. Have to work 2 extra days for every one off. Unless you live further north than Cumming, Ga. I am not closer than you. We just have a little place on the outskirts of Sopchoppy.

CamoDawg85

View attachment 1018958

View attachment 1018959

Good stuff BigBend! Nice pics and glad y’all got on the fish.

Were you and your buddy anchored up chumming Sunday by chance using a homemade PVC chum bucket? I fished in the St Marks area Sunday and thought I saw a boat like yours.

We’re headed back down on the 16th for 5 days to give it another go. PM me if you like.

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
Dang St Marks... still washing out tackle trays... I got lures almost 2 decades old..
47A082F2-4D4A-4C0A-98E6-0FA9F835E4A1.png

Browning Slayer

Rolled in about 2:15 safe and sound. Coolers and buckets soaking in bleach water.
Equipment performed well.
All you can ask for.
I'll be back 6/15 in cabin 11 if anyone happens wander by.
Hmmmm..... if ya got an extra seat on the boat... I may be yo huckleberry...

I don’t plan on pulling my down until the 4th weekend.

Maybe I could be a deckhand on Corbett’s...

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
Hmmmm..... if ya got an extra seat on the boat... I may be yo huckleberry...

I don’t plan on pulling my down until the 4th weekend.

Maybe I could be a deckhand on Corbett’s...

I've got a full boat on this trip.
Sons are treating me for Father's Day.

Bigbendgyrene

Were you and your buddy anchored up chumming Sunday by chance using a homemade PVC chum bucket? I fished in the St Marks area Sunday and thought I saw a boat like yours.

Sounds like it was very likely us.

If the PVC chum device looked like this I can't claim to have made it -- produced some years back by a company that sold them under the name "Chum Churn" -- they still can be found on forums and ebay every now and then (how I found mine) and usually go pretty quickly as they DO work pretty well, albeit a bit large and cumbersome in the boat before putting it out to use.

p1371487153099974.jpg

Uses blades attached to shaft to chop up fresh caught bait put into the "Y" portion of the PVC.

IMG_4879.jpg

Noise of churning sometimes helps call up fish in addition to the actual chum released. Here's an old video I found online that shows one being used for those who might not have heard of them.

Browning Slayer

If the PVC chum device looked like this I can't claim to have made it -- produced some years back by a company that sold them under the name "Chum Churn" -- they still can be found on forums and ebay every now and then (how I found mine) and usually go pretty quickly as they DO work pretty well, albeit a bit large and cumbersome in the boat before putting it out to use.

View attachment 1019283

Uses blades attached to shaft to chop up fresh caught bait put into the "Y" portion of the PVC.

View attachment 1019284

Noise of churning sometimes helps call up fish in addition to the actual chum released. Here's an old video I found online that shows one being used for those who might not have heard of them.

That’s on my list to get! I was talking to 1eye about it. Forgot it’s name. I’ve done my own IV bags and other things.

I’m out for June 11th. Wife said you do June 11th or the 4th of July. I’m doing the 4th with the ladies so tackle swap is happening on the G3.

F63EE466-2663-4DA1-B6C9-D8C9B6261F99.png

CamoDawg85

View attachment 1019283

View attachment 1019284

Yup, that was definitely y’all! Very cool device you have there, thanks for sharing! I’m going to see if I can find me one of them. It would have come in handy that day as we didn’t put many fish in the boat. Y’all going back down to St Marks anytime soon?

Thanks BigBend (y)