Graves Mountain Rock Swap & dig, 26th-28th!

Artfuldodger

Between Washington, Ga. and Lincolnton, Ga. in Lincoln County. This is a fun event with vendors as well as the chance to dig for rocks. Rock Clubs from various states sometimes show up.
They have a snack tent with hamburgers & hotdogs. You can park and they will take you to various spots to dig on golf carts.

The weather looks pretty good this year.

https://www.gamineral.org/ft/commercial/ftgravesmain.html

ryork

I've got a case of blue bladed kyanite, pyrite, barite, rutasil and other minerals/rocks from there from almost thirty years ago. Unless some new areas have been opened up, it's been picked over pretty good. Even back then you had to be half mountain goat to get to the good stuff. Interesting localized geology though for sure.

Artfuldodger

We've been going about 15 years off and on. I've found all of those things but rutile. I don't think they let you do the mountain goat thing any more. lol
We mostly look for hematite. I'm going to try and find some Lazulite this trip. Lazulite, not to be confused with Lazurlite.

I would say that maybe a a lot of the rutile crystals are picked over but people still find things. I was thinking about how many rocks and minerals have been found over the whole earth. Yet every day people find a big diamond or a gold deposit. It makes me wonder how much more there is within the earth that we haven't even discovered yet.

Maybe even places like Graves Mountain that no one has ever put a shovel in. Perhaps even a place in Georgia.