Headed to the Okefenokee for a week.

Toliver

Headed out in the morning and just hoping I don't get swooped up by a giant mosquito while I'm down there. And if I recall correctly if you could get ahold of one of those prehistoric swamp horseflies you could turn him sideways and use his wings as an outboard motor. I'm looking forward to all the critters with 4 or less legs. I am not looking forward to all the 6 legged ones. I think Stephen C Foster State Park may hold the record for the longest distance from a Dollar General. I am also looking forward to seeing a night sky without all the light pollution again. It's been a while.

GeorgiaBob

I think you will be pleasantly surprised at the absence of mosquitos in the Okefenokee. Due to the high concentration of tannins in the swamp waters, mosquitoes and other flying insects that lay eggs in the water do not thrive. The tannins, mostly from cypress leaves and bark, prevent most insect eggs from hatching. Horseflies are a different matter!

Enjoy your trip.

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
Horseflies and yellow flies.

Toliver

I think you will be pleasantly surprised at the absence of mosquitos in the Okefenokee. Due to the high concentration of tannins in the swamp waters, mosquitoes and other flying insects that lay eggs in the water do not thrive. The tannins, mostly from cypress leaves and bark, prevent most insect eggs from hatching. Horseflies are a different matter!

Enjoy your trip.
I knew the water was very acidic but I didn't think about its affect on insect eggs. My wife will certainly be pleased.

Toliver

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Thank you. I will stop and get some on the way.

Spray a little on your hands and rub it lightly on your face, ears, and the back of your hands. I prefer it to store bought bug repelents. Lavender oil works real good too.

greg_n_clayton

Visiting the swamp there or Southern La is on my bucket list. I been keeping a eye out for some locals to show me around in either one. I don't want to feel like a tourist. I want to get off the beaten paths. Southern La might be the best for such....I just don't know !

madsam

Visiting the swamp there or Southern La is on my bucket list. I been keeping a eye out for some locals to show me around in either one. I don't want to feel like a tourist. I want to get off the beaten paths. Southern La might be the best for such....I just don't know !
watch out for the Banjo players !!! LOL...

• Haha
Reactions: Dub

Geffellz18

watch out for the Banjo players !!! LOL...
Nah, The banjo music is up in his back yard…:wink:
He literally lives in Deliverance!

Seriously though-The swamp is definitely a neat place to visit. Have had the opportunity to tag along a few times with some GON folk around February in years past and have always enjoyed it.
Not sure I’d want to this late in the year but only due to hearsay.
Whatever @Nicodemus suggests, I would take as sound advice without question!

Big7

The Oracle
Headed out in the morning and just hoping I don't get swooped up by a giant mosquito while I'm down there. And if I recall correctly if you could get ahold of one of those prehistoric swamp horseflies you could turn him sideways and use his wings as an outboard motor. I'm looking forward to all the critters with 4 or less legs. I am not looking forward to all the 6 legged ones. I think Stephen C Foster State Park may hold the record for the longest distance from a Dollar General. I am also looking forward to seeing a night sky without all the light pollution again. It's been a while.
I don't know about right now but I went for 3 nights and 4 days over 20 years ago.

The mosquitoes and other bugs were horrible in the summer time. The Deer flies were horrible.
I didn't have hardly a spot on my body that didn't get bit.

There were 4 of us and 1 was from Waycross living in Atlanta somewhere. All of us got bit up something fierce except the guy from Waycross.
He passed out right at the fire with only shorts on. No shirt, no shoes. He didn't have a mark on him. Natural immunity according to him.

I ain't never going back there in hot weather.

Toliver

No cooler. Everything is in the refrigerator. I did the "stuff outside" camping a long time ago. Now I just take a small house with me. So there weren't as many bugs as I expected at dusk. But the ones that did come around didn't give a rip about the thermacell. First time I've ever had to fight off skeeters with a thermacell burning. Great camp site though. Most private, secluded spot I've ever had at a public campground.

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
I've got some bad news for @Toliver He's gonna see plenty of skeeters and flies this time of year. Hope he can still run pretty good! :bounce:

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
Awesome, brother. Me and a buddy are going to kayak in and camp in the Okeefonokee next winter. I’ll be interested here about your trip.

Toliver

So far only 1 snake after walking about 10 miles of trails around the park. Rescued the biggest softshell I've ever seen from the road and released him in the river. Of course a lot of alligators.

This one collects the launch fee at the ramp.
20230416_120327.jpg20230416_120256.jpg