Headed to the Okefenokee for a week.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Thermacell and plenty of butane and scent mats.

Toliver

Catch'n anything?
Nope. Seems crickets are all they're biting this week and I'm not driving 90 minutes to go get them. I'll just keep pretending I'll catch something with wigglers or artificial bait.

Toliver

Thermacell and plenty of butane and scent mats.
Believe it or not the mosquitoes are only bad at dusk... then they'll carry you away. But the worst has been gnats and flies of varying species.

Toliver

He in trouble wit de FBEYE?
Probably. Maybe he bred with a Chinese gator and they think she knows something. She has a mess of hatchlings swimming around the canal.

Toliver

20230418_194405.jpg

Reactions: Dub

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
I’ve only been there once, years ago. We caught a mess of bream, but the yellow flies were some kinda bad. Been wanting to go back since I got a small boat, but it’s gonna be cool weather before I do.

Toliver

I’ve only been there once, years ago. We caught a mess of bream, but the yellow flies were some kinda bad. Been wanting to go back since I got a small boat, but it’s gonna be cool weather before I do.
Just know they have a 10 h.p. max for boat motors every place I've been. I don't know if that's a rule on the whole refuge or not but definitely something to confirm before dragging your boat all the way there only to find out you can't launch. And if you launch at the state park, you have to check in. And if your dog is your fishing buddy leave him at home. They aren't allowed even on private boats. It seems there are claims of dogs being turned into gator snacks. I got scolded just for having mine down on the dock by the boats.

Toliver

Some of the gators along the sill are tagged and measured. There are some 12 footers and 1 confirmed 14+ footer. Not sure which one this is since he was partially in the water but he was an absolute beast.20230419_155500.jpg

Oldstick

Choot em! Choot Em!

Toliver

And that right there is some forevermore fine eating. And if it gets aholt to your finger, hand, or arm. you`ll invent new cuss words while you wait for it to thunder.
Yes, sir. My wife was looking up recipes (she's never had turtle) as soon as I picked it up. I told her it's easy. Just fry it. But we didn't want to fool with cleaning it at the campground.

And then I showed her how ill tempered they are. She nearly got too close as it swung around to snap. I'm sure she'd have been bitten or scratched up had she tried to hold it. What's that river that runs through Fargo? Suwanahoochee or something like that? That's where it is now. So some trot line or bush hook may get lucky.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Yes, sir. My wife was looking up recipes (she's never had turtle) as soon as I picked it up. I told her it's easy. Just fry it. But we didn't want to fool with cleaning it at the campground.

And then I showed her how ill tempered they are. She nearly got too close as it swung around to snap. I'm sure she'd have been bitten or scratched up had she tried to hold it. What's that river that runs through Fargo? Suwanahoochee or something like that? That's where it is now. So some trot line or bush hook may get lucky.

The Suwannee heads up in Fargo then heads South to the Gulf. That river, like most creeks and rivers in South Georgia, are a living history book spanning from millions of years ago to the present about the animals and people throughout the times from then till the present. From Megalodons to minnows, elephants to earthworms, sabertooths to bobcats, Paleo Man to De Soto, it is all there, and in all the other rivers across this Ancient Land. This is truly God`s Country.