Help a brotha out.....I'm ignorant on air fryers, pressure cookers & other modern cooking apparatus

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
Don't get me started on turkey.

Once I started frying turkeys....and also smoking turkeys....my family wouldn't hardly eat Mom's turkey when we'd visit on holidays.

I don't even like turkey....categorically don't care for it......yet I'd tear into a good fried or smoked turkey like a starving carnivore.

Baked turkey....no thanks.

I'd rather grab a can of Viennas.
Once I started smoke'n and or fry'n turkeys every woman on both sides of my family quit cook'n them and started bringing them to my house. :rofl:

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I also won't be trying to cook a delicious burger in an "air fryer" (if that is even possible). I know he'd throw that ban hammer like Thor himself.

Of course he would. That's a sin against the entire Universe and you'd deserve the sentence for doing it. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I agree if your going to get an airfryer get a big one. We have one like this and it does a few different things.

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
Sorry brother, I can't help ya. I don't use any of those things. My son and his wife have an air fryer and I was impressed with the out come. I must admit I do have some cheese dip in my mini crock pot today. H22 had to find it in the back of the pantry. Don't even use it much.
1714835193010.png

Dub

Well.....home from today's shopping venture.

I kinda went in two directions.

My son just bought his first home.
Closed on it last week and is moving in from the place he & his girlfriend have been living in sin together. :rofl:

I have a couple housewarming gifts in the works for him....some meaningful stuff that'll serve him well for the rest of his life and go onto his kids.....a pair of supernice cast iron skillets.

I also wanted to hook 'em up with one of these modern cooking contraptions.

So...today I picked this 'un for him to use in the new house.

IMG_3734.jpeg

It appears to handle a wide range of cooking types.

------------------------------------

I still wanted to study up some more on the air fryer thing.....but knew that I'd get some serious use from moving into the modern era....so I grabbed this 'un for my use:

IMG_3732.jpeg

Going to read the destructions, clean it & give it a test run this afternoon.

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
Well.....home from today's shopping venture.

I kinda went in two directions.

My son just bought his first home.
Closed on it last week and is moving in from the place he & his girlfriend have been living in sin together. :rofl:

I have a couple housewarming gifts in the works for him....some meaningful stuff that'll serve him well for the rest of his life and go onto his kids.....a pair of supernice cast iron skillets.

I also wanted to hook 'em up with one of these modern cooking contraptions.

So...today I picked this 'un for him to use in the new house.

View attachment 1303627

It appears to handle a wide range of cooking types.

------------------------------------

I still wanted to study up some more on the air fryer thing.....but knew that I'd get some serious use from moving into the modern era....so I grabbed this 'un for my use:

View attachment 1303626

Going to read the destructions, clean it & give it a test run this afternoon.
Living in sin together. :bounce::bounce: H22 is old fashion and told the boy he could move in with her if he would engage her first. Didn't happen till later. He was terrified to ask her dad. He had the ring for about a year before he finally popped the question.

Dub

Living in sin together. :bounce::bounce: H22 is old fashion and told the boy he could move in with her if he would engage her first. Didn't happen till later. He was terrified to ask her dad. He had the ring for about a year before he finally popped the question.

One of the fears that's well founded and must be respected. :)

Good stuff.

Geffellz18

An insta pot and air fryer get used the most ‘round here these days!
A dual zone basket style fryer is what we ended up with and like it the most of the few we’ve had. “Fry” all types of stuff in it. Our oil consumption is minimal now. Just use it as a spray mostly to crisp up the
Things you would typically deep fry. Any breaded chicken, fries, corn dogs, etc you see in my cafe pics are air fried-Even the baked taters!
The Messican rice, regular rice, Mac & cheese, etc are all done in the pressure cooker now.
This is the dual zone fryer we have and a similar example of the pressure cooker we use.
IMG_0966.jpegIMG_0967.jpeg

Paleo

Dump Trump Movement CEO
I don't use any of that stuff. I can't figure what an "air fryer" does than an oven doesn't. I own a crockpot but I don't like it because the food doesn't come out right unless I brown stuff in another pan and transfer it to the crockpot. I've got Dutch ovens that brown AND simmer with only one pan.
InstantPot was intriguing as I own a pressure cooker but very rarely use it and it seemed like everybody raved about their instantpot for a while but not so much anymore. I bought a carbon steel fry pan about 2 weeks ago and use it almost every day. It heats up much faster and more evenly than the cast iron and browns meats nice and quick. Really good for thin steaks. I can brown both sides and keep the inside medium rare. Some sources say not to use acidic ingredients like tomatoes and lemon juice in it ever while others say it is fine once it is well seasoned. Does anyone know which is correct? Never had a problem using acidic stuff in cast iron.

I think I want an electric skillet but what's in the stores is not like what I remember Mom using back in the day. I saw a few online and in a catalog and, IIRC, there well north of $200.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I don't use any of that stuff. I can't figure what an "air fryer" does than an oven doesn't. I own a crockpot but I don't like it because the food doesn't come out right unless I brown stuff in another pan and transfer it to the crockpot. I've got Dutch ovens that brown AND simmer with only one pan.
InstantPot was intriguing as I own a pressure cooker but very rarely use it and it seemed like everybody raved about their instantpot for a while but not so much anymore. I bought a carbon steel fry pan about 2 weeks ago and use it almost every day. It heats up much faster and more evenly than the cast iron and browns meats nice and quick. Really good for thin steaks. I can brown both sides and keep the inside medium rare. Some sources say not to use acidic ingredients like tomatoes and lemon juice in it ever while others say it is fine once it is well seasoned. Does anyone know which is correct? Never had a problem using acidic stuff in cast iron.

I think I want an electric skillet but what's in the stores is not like what I remember Mom using back in the day. I saw a few online and in a catalog and, IIRC, there well north of $200.
We have a 16" Presto ceramic electric skillet that we use pretty often. Works great, about $50-60.

Sixes

I know you said you have gotten away from outside cooking, but you need a Blackstone (or equivalent). You can heat it up and have most food cooked in just a few minutes from burgers to chops to pancakes and eggs. Never timed it, but I would guess most meals off the Blackstone are 20 minutes or less with easy cleanup and great flavor

snuffy

As mentioned above. Electric skillet. Can do anything from cooking a burger to frying fish. And easy to clean.

georgia_home

The Crocker is just so easy. Of the things mentioned, we use it most. We do use liners

amount of usage by cooking gadget :

crocker - spaghetti sauce, ribs, chili, beef roasts, chicken, soups with some leftover broths

cast iron : pork tenderloin / some stir fry , fettucini Alfredo sauce for chicken and/or shrimp

basic toaster oven : toast, bagels , pizza dillas and similar , heat certain leftovers

Instapot - pork / carnitas and soup

air fryer - experimental, but not often due to capacity being too small. Learned from that but probably won’t buy a bigger one

Last edited:
Reactions: Dub

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Our Instapot and air fryer get used a lot . If you enjoy chicken wings you should really try them in an air fryer .

Reactions: Dub