Hog Killing Day -- 2016

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Brings back some good memories. Those hogs made purty carcasses. We used our syrup kettle to scald ours.

Not only do us swampers use croker sacks and always keep a few in the toolbox to put rattlers and possums in, we know how to spell it. :D

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Brings back some good memories. Those hogs made purty carcasses. We used our syrup kettle to scald ours.

Not only do us swampers use croker sacks and always keep a few in the toolbox to put rattlers and possums in, we know how to spell it. :D

:bounce: Now, what is a "croker?" ::ke: :D

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
:bounce: Now, what is a "croker?" ::ke: :D

I`ll take a picture and make a thread in a day or too, so as not to derail the man`s thread. They don`t have anything to do with cooking. ;)

Flaustin1

Im envious. When we get our house built, I will surely have a couple of hogs a year and do the same as you. The kids always watch and help with processing my dear but theres something special about killing a pig. I still remember the excitement I felt when I was a young'un.

ambush80

Testing out some the guanciale (face bacon) this afternoon. Pretty good stuff.

24337298562_4a992960c7_b.jpg

No cure? No smoke?

Old Winchesters

best post of the year.... brings back a lot of memories. Thanks for sharing. By the way, I remember we used to put either lime or lye and a pinetop in the barrel of water... not sure why but they went in every time. we used them old fat butcher knives to scrape with.

jigman29

I worked my 2 up this week myself so I know the work you had in them. I had 83 pounds of sausage and a freezer full of roasts and pork chops. We still have the hams and middlins in the smoke house curing. Glad to see you are showing the kids how its done. Mine have grown up doing the same things. It's fast becoming a forgotten art.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
No cure? No smoke?

Cure yes, smoke no. Real Italian guanciale isn't smoked, it's aged. I hung up two slabs last night and will test again in 3 weeks or so. It may look a little wet in the pic because I just washed off the cure.

I'm going to try to smoke the middlings today if the wind lays down some. We're gonna have lots of bacon.... but you can never have enough bacon.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
I worked my 2 up this week myself so I know the work you had in them. I had 83 pounds of sausage and a freezer full of roasts and pork chops. We still have the hams and middlins in the smoke house curing. Glad to see you are showing the kids how its done. Mine have grown up doing the same things. It's fast becoming a forgotten art.

Take pictures next time. We like to look at pictures around here!

mark-7mag

Useless Billy Director of transpotation
Thanks for sharing. I really enjoyed reading this

specialk

We never dipped them when they got to that size. .

I know a family back home in VA that scalded one in their bathtub in there single wide mobile home about 3 years ago....true story.....

specialk

for anybody interested, they have a hog killin' in Woodland GA every year....anybody can go and watch the process....here's a website that explains....I've never been but always wanted too.....

http://www.oldsouthfarm.com/

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
Enjoyable thread. :cool:

I'm only familiar with the term "croker sack", myself. Of course, what do I know, I'm a south Georgia boy from the city. :D

Also, my father said some folks would put pine needles in the barrel when scalding the hog. Said it made scraping the hair off easier. Have y'all ever heard of such?

EJC

Excellent thread, glad you've got the kids out there. Can't wait till my daughters old enough to hunt and fish with me. Good deal. :clap:

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Great thread. Good to see you keeping the old ways alive.:cool:

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Smoked the bacon today. I could have taught a seminar on COLD smoking....temps never got out of the 20s here.