How long do you go before you replace braided line on a reel?

Lilly001

Depends.
If I use it regularly I usually wind it on another reel after the first year and get a second year out of it.
If it’s seldom used, and therefore not exposed to the water and sun, I often wait two or even three years to rewind or replace it.
That is for fresh water. Salt water use reels usually make it only a year before replacement.

Rabun

I’ve got some SW lever drags that have had braid on them for close to 8 years. I have flipped the line on them though and it looked like brand new from the inside. Those reels don’t get a lot of use granted but the braid is still in great shape. My inshore reels get much more use but I still get years of life out of it…I flip the line on those as well

Gator89

I’ve got some SW lever drags that have had braid on them for close to 8 years. I have flipped the line on them though and it looked like brand new from the inside. Those reels don’t get a lot of use granted but the braid is still in great shape. My inshore reels get much more use but I still get years of life out of it…I flip the line on those as well

What is your method for "flipping" the line? I have a couple of reels that could benefit.

I actually like the braid to have some age, it seems to have less wind knots and bird nests on the spool. I only use spinning reels.

Rabun

What is your method for "flipping" the line? I have a couple of reels that could benefit.

I actually like the braid to have some age, it seems to have less wind knots and bird nests on the spool. I only use spinning reels.

For two alike conventional reels, I will take the line off of reel 1 using an empty line spool attached to a drill. Then I will reline that empty reel 1 using reel 2 that still has the line on it….basically reel 1 to reel 2.

The line I took off reel 1 and put on the spool needs to be flipped. I do this by using another empty spool attached to the drill and spool that empty spool using the line I took off of reel 1…the line is now oriented as it was originally on the first reel. Now just fill the empty reel 2 using that line you just flipped on the spool.

For spinning reels I take the line off reel using an empty spool then flip that line using another empty spool like above then just reline that reel with the line on the spool. I don’t go reel to reel w spinning gear…i feel like it may introduce line twist although it may work just fine.

Does that make sense? I’m not the best at explaining things

Gator89

For two alike conventional reels, I will take the line off of reel 1 using an empty line spool attached to a drill. Then I will reline that empty reel 1 using reel 2 that still has the line on it….basically reel 1 to reel 2.

The line I took off reel 1 and put on the spool needs to be flipped. I do this by using another empty spool attached to the drill and spool that empty spool using the line I took off of reel 1…the line is now oriented as it was originally on the first reel. Now just fill the empty reel 2 using that line you just flipped on the spool.

For spinning reels I take the line off reel using an empty spool then flip that line using another empty spool like above then just reline that reel with the line on the spool. I don’t go reel to reel w spinning gear…i feel like it may introduce line twist although it may work just fine.

Does that make sense? I’m not the best at explaining things

I get the gist of it.

Rabun

Rabun, why not just open the bail in reel 1 and spool it straight to reel 2? I’m sure there’s a reason, I just don’t know what it is.
My main reason is I don’t have two of the same spinning reels so capacities are different. Also not sure if that would introduce line twist…if others have done that please chime in if that works ok.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
I need a bigger yard
I spiral around my house in ever bigger circles using trees, bushes, telephone poles, whatever.
I also do this with just a couple or three casting distances worth of line out and reel it back in while I continue walking away from it to get the twist out of my line.

Rabun

I’ve let mono line out behind the boat to address twists. Never had to do that w braid. Has anyone ever tried soaking the spool in water for a few days to relieve mono line twists. I saw a guy on a fishing show suggest doing that and wondered if it worked. Not sure soaking the drag washers for so long is such a good idea but I guess you could take those out before soaking.

Richf7

I’ve let mono line out behind the boat to address twists. Never had to do that w braid. Has anyone ever tried soaking the spool in water for a few days to relieve mono line twists. I saw a guy on a fishing show suggest doing that and wondered if it worked. Not sure soaking the drag washers for so long is such a good idea but I guess you could take those out before soaking.
I’ve been fighting mono line twist for a long time. I’ve soaked the spool, sprayed it with Reel Magic, let the current take my lure downstream, walked it around the yard, always flip the bail manually, used top quality mono, and filled the spool with fresh line in different ways. The only thing that works for me is having new line spooled on the machine at Cabela’s. It’s inconvenient but I don't know any other retailer that does it.