How many "big" bucks do you have to kill before…..

Triple C

This forum is a lot more fun when people aren't obsessing over whose rack is bigger. Jeez. Enough already.

Who's obsessing??? How bout to each his own. Folks want to chase antlers or shoot fork horn no business of mine or yours. The preference of any hunter, whether lots of bone or fork horns, as long as it's legal, should be welcomed and encouraged by all.

Jeff Phillips

Who's obsessing??? How bout to each his own. Folks want to chase antlers or shoot fork horn no business of mine or yours. The preference of any hunter, whether lots of bone or fork horns, as long as it's legal, should be welcomed and encouraged by all.

X2!

These comments are about each hunters personal preferences. Nobody has gone negative.

DeoVindice

Great question OP. I am thrilled to take a mature buck each year. I would love to shoot a record book deer, but taking a mature buck is all the thrill I will ever need. Taking mature bucks consistently is very challenging and what I strive for. Anyone can kill a mature buck once every 10-20 years, but most cannot do it year in, year out. Neither do I, but I've become much more consistent over the past 10-15 years. Time is my biggest issue. If I have enough time to really get in there and hunt hard I feel that I can take a mature buck every year. Maybe.

turkeykirk

In my 40+ years deer hunting, I've sen lots of 120-150 class bucks. Only problem is most of them have been shot by someone else!

jmharris23

This forum is a lot more fun when people aren't obsessing over whose rack is bigger. Jeez. Enough already.

No obsession here. It was a question that I was curious about and it has gotten a lot of good answers.

I'm not saying that there are not people who are obsessed with it, but I'm not one of them.

For what it's worth, yes I would rather kill more mature and larger bucks and hunt to that goal.

But as for you or anyone else I hope you do what makes you happy and kill whatever you want to. I'd celebrate it with you in a minute.

_BuckMaster_

Here in Georgia we do not have the genetics to produce 160 deer on every farm,lease every year year after year... Take foe example the realtree farms and foxworthyoutdoors farms... How many times have you seen there names in the record books ...and they have MONEY to plant and give them what they need... I think Jeff in 5 years has killed 2 really good ones on his place??? Fact is out in the Midwest 150/160/170 gross deer are the norm! Why genetics ,I'd say stop worrying about antler inches and just hunt that's what it's all about....130/140 deer here in Georgia are true monsters!!! Just my OPNION .

Back when I had a tracking dog(just a few years ago), I tracked a ton of 120-130 deer only to find a 90-100 inch deer at the end of the trail. Most hunters in GA have no idea how big a 120 inch deer is and have 100 inch deer on the wall that they call 120-130. By the way, if you really want to know how big your deer is have it officially scored. There are PY and BC certified scorers all over and most of them would love to score your trophy, free of charge. I also doubt most hunters ability to age a deer accurately.

Bottom line. I don't think there are many hunters passing up actual 130+ deer.

My rule is if it a trophy to you, then shoot it.

GA DAWG

I wanna expand this some. Where the crap do all these 2.5 yr old deer and 3.5 yr old deer go to? I m usta let 10,000 walk. Personally I dont think they all get killed. I do believe they get A Lot smarter come 4.5+. Our farm at home is pretty small. Not a whole bunch of pressure on it. Just some around it. I have 3.5 yr old deer rutting like crazy. I know for a fact I have older deer. Sometimes I get pics. Also. Ive had bucks go plum off radar and be gone a couple yrs. Then show back up. Are they just laid up? They dont even come to corn or salt for pics. Do I have to many doe? Every now and again I'll kill a 5.5 yr old plus. Just like last Jan. I had 3 mature good deer make it. This yr I have no pics of any of them at all. If I could only figure out where they hiding I might kill one. Thats easier said than done. It seems to me these old men dont participate in the rut like others do.

Ace1313

I have passed several deer in the 120's and 130's over the last couple years mainly because they didn't meet the age requirements where I was hunting or I was holding out for one of the other bigger older deer we had on camera.

I'm not obsessed with what a deer scores I just try to kill mature deer. Have I messed up and shot younger deer? You bet I have and I wouldn't trade them for the world as they all have a special place and memory made for me.

Best way to judge if you are shooting a good deer for the area is to go and look at the average size of bucks being produced in the area via record book or the processor.

T.P.

Banned
I wanna expand this some. Where the crap do all these 2.5 yr old deer and 3.5 yr old deer go to? I m usta let 10,000 walk. Personally I dont think they all get killed. I do believe they get A Lot smarter come 4.5+. Our farm at home is pretty small. Not a whole bunch of pressure on it. Just some around it. I have 3.5 yr old deer rutting like crazy. I know for a fact I have older deer. Sometimes I get pics. Also. Ive had bucks go plum off radar and be gone a couple yrs. Then show back up. Are they just laid up? They dont even come to corn or salt for pics. Do I have to many doe? Every now and again I'll kill a 5.5 yr old plus. Just like last Jan. I had 3 mature good deer make it. This yr I have no pics of any of them at all. If I could only figure out where they hiding I might kill one. Thats easier said than done. It seems to me these old men dont participate in the rut like others do.

I haven't killed a buck on our Hancock lease in 6 years. I've let so many 110" deer go it's almost comical and so has every other member on our place.

I've had this same discussion a hundred times a our club, "why am I not seeing all those deer this year as 130" deer"??? I don't know. We do kill a 140-"-150" every year though. Well, I don't, but someone on our place does. But you'd think there would be hundreds running around by now.

We get quite a few pics every year, but we just don't lay eyes on them. I think they hibernate.

T.P.

Banned
To answer the op, I shoot whatever turns my crank. I just haven't had anything turn my crank in a while.

GTHunter007

Mature bucks are complete different monsters and require either a stroke of luck in normal hunting setups or a complete change in approach and dedication. They know when the truck pulls up, they know when the fourwheeler is cranked and they know where YOU are when that climber clanks one time. They are not stupid and have probably been in your sights or under your tree or seen a buddy die in the years leading up to their smarts. Tough to compete with something that KNOWS how you will approach September-January.

I watched a 5.5 yr old hold a doe in a thicket this year on top and centered in the middle of our property this year. For 5 hours they were under me or out in front. My old man came down after lunch while I was still watching this buck and his doe. at 800 yards away, I heard his trailer banging as he drove in through the gate and to camp, so did this buck. He pegged right in that direction and stared there for 20 minutes. It wasn't until he heard my dad's electric golf cart crunching gravel driving down and away from us that he went back to what he was doing...I was in awe! As I am everytime I have ever spent a significant amount of time looking at a 5+ year old animal.

Another reason a place won't have the same amount of 5.5+ bucks as they do 2.5 is the competitive nature of the mature bucks. They can't stand one another once the antlers shed and they will set up shop and fight for territory. I run trail cameras religiously and know and have pictures of most every deer that walks through our property. Year after year, after having watched 5-9 mature bucks over the summer grow, the month of October will show only 1-2 of these bucks still around and by November maybe only 1 buck we know will be there and no more than 2 new bucks over 5 will show up. They are competitive and no matter how many does you have, a mature buck is not going to tolerate an intruder on his turf.

dixiecutter

Eye Devour ReeB
circumstancial. i grew up on wma in alabama on bucks only. we hunt all year and hang our season on a couple of forkhorns. im also 38. now my skills and equipment and circumstances are way better. so i like to shoot 2 or 3 each year of whatever and hold out in rut for a good one (to me...a 3 1/2 yr old or better). for me mostly like nc hillbilly said: i might shoot a little one today or pass him tomorrow according to how i feel. might turn into a pure bone hunter one day, but i aint there yet. i like hunting, shooting, dragging, gutting, skinning, stuffing, and like to kill something atleast every 3rd weekend or so, whatever it may be.

Blisterapine

Back when I had a tracking dog(just a few years ago), I tracked a ton of 120-130 deer only to find a 90-100 inch deer at the end of the trail. Most hunters in GA have no idea how big a 120 inch deer is and have 100 inch deer on the wall that they call 120-130. By the way, if you really want to know how big your deer is have it officially scored. There are PY and BC certified scorers all over and most of them would love to score your trophy, free of charge. I also doubt most hunters ability to age a deer accurately.

Bottom line. I don't think there are many hunters passing up actual 130+ deer.

My rule is if it a trophy to you, then shoot it.

Agree, 130 is a stud anywhere. 120 is when they start looking very nice especially an 8pt.

Blisterapine

I'd have to see a picture of a 140 + buck someone passed on waiting for a bigger one.

Bucks you don't shoot are the same relative size as bass that throw a lure --- really really big.

I'd say no one is passing 140's , a 140 on the hoof looks like a 160 in some instances.. so no to passing 140's .. agree!

headhunter 07

Mature bucks are complete different monsters and require either a stroke of luck in normal hunting setups or a complete change in approach and dedication. They know when the truck pulls up, they know when the fourwheeler is cranked and they know where YOU are when that climber clanks one time. They are not stupid and have probably been in your sights or under your tree or seen a buddy die in the years leading up to their smarts. Tough to compete with something that KNOWS how you will approach September-January.

I watched a 5.5 yr old hold a doe in a thicket this year on top and centered in the middle of our property this year. For 5 hours they were under me or out in front. My old man came down after lunch while I was still watching this buck and his doe. at 800 yards away, I heard his trailer banging as he drove in through the gate and to camp, so did this buck. He pegged right in that direction and stared there for 20 minutes. It wasn't until he heard my dad's electric golf cart crunching gravel driving down and away from us that he went back to what he was doing...I was in awe! As I am everytime I have ever spent a significant amount of time looking at a 5+ year old animal.

Another reason a place won't have the same amount of 5.5+ bucks as they do 2.5 is the competitive nature of the mature bucks. They can't stand one another once the antlers shed and they will set up shop and fight for territory. I run trail cameras religiously and know and have pictures of most every deer that walks through our property. Year after year, after having watched 5-9 mature bucks over the summer grow, the month of October will show only 1-2 of these bucks still around and by November maybe only 1 buck we know will be there and no more than 2 new bucks over 5 will show up. They are competitive and no matter how many does you have, a mature buck is not going to tolerate an intruder on his turf.

while I agree 100% on mature deer being a whole different animal. I also think its interesting how many of those 2 1/2 yr old passed expecting to be 130s the next year never make it over 115. I guess what im saying is just because a 130 deer is not seen does not mean a mature deer that has been passed as a 110 has not been seen. we can all beat our chest about how great our propertys are or how much harder/better/smarter we hunt, but at the end of the day a 130+ deer is not hiding behind every tree. I feel the ones to look out for are those special deer that I screw up and kill from time to time. 2-3 yr olds with awesome genes. problem is even though I hunt PRIME river bank dirt when a true 125+ walks out there tough to pass.

Rxjones

You are as good a hunter as anyone getting high scoring racks off "prime property"- what separates hunters is nothing more than the quality of land they have permission to hunt

RE185

To the op , I agree with what most of the guys are saying shoot what makes you happy .like someone said in another post if your property does not have a 150" buck on it you're not going to kill a 150" buck.that being said you can find some other property or get in another club if your property does not make you happy.I have let a lot of deer walk and I have killed a lot of deer.to me it really does depend on what property I'm hunting where the property is located and if I really truly think the property has potential to grow the deer that I think I want.if you know you're going to have limited access to a piece of property and a 120"-130" comes by you you're crazy not to take it I have let a lot of deer go and then next yr you not even be able to hunt that piece of property.the deer in my avatar pic we watched for 2 to 3 years and then lost the property.we shot several bucks from125-170 on this piece of property so we knew it had potential but we really did not know how long we're going to get hunt it so what do ya do?like some others have said I think it really has to do with what makes you happy at the time you have the opportunity.regardless of what anyone else thinks.if your personal goal is to kill bigger and older bucks then you need to do whatever you need to do to get yourself to that position whether it be find more property , let younger deer walk or improve the property you have.with all the time, effort, work that I put into deer hunting I would be proud to put my tag on a 130" or 140"buck every year.and I do agree that most of the people who say they are letting 120"-130" bucks walk don't really know what they're looking at. But when they let a 130"walk and it really 110" that means when they kill a 150" and its really 135" I'm sure they are going to still be extremely happy.I'm pretty sure every one of us on this forum have become wiser and become better hunters from experience.to the Op question I think you as a hunter know when u are ready to hold out for the one you just can't live without.

jmharris23

Great responses guys....I appreciate them all.

This thread wasn't really about me, it was just a discussion starter.

I'm very happy to kill a 120-130 or at least a mature buck every year for the rest of my life. I have no desire to step up to the "next level". I was just curious about others take on the matter.

NugeForPres

I enjoy hunting much more if I don't make all these rules and goals and crap for myself and overcomplicate it. It's hunting. I just go hunt and shoot whatever I feel like shooting that day, or don't shoot what I don't feel like shooting that day, and I always have enjoyed it thouroughly. What I want to shoot that day may not have a thing to do with how old it is or how many horns it has on its head. All deer are good, and worthy of being hunted. I have killed some decent bucks. I have let some pretty big bucks walk. I have let a lot of little deer walk, and I have also mowed down some little bitty ones. What I've killed in the past has absolutely nothing to do with what I want to kill tomorrow. It all depends on the place I'm hunting, the mood I'm in, what I'm hunting with, and the amount of meat in my freezer at the time. To me, it's about getting out there and participating in it, not about how many inches of calcium deposits a buck has on its head or how "mature" it is. I can appreciate a nice buck as much as anybody else, but antlers by far aren't the only thing I hunt for. I hunt just to find myself sometimes.

Could not have put it any better myself. I find that I slip into that mode every season of overcomplicating this sport and taking the fun out of it. That's when I have to remind myself that I'm in it for the fun. After all it's supposed to be fun!