How many "big" bucks do you have to kill before…..

aj.hiner

A lot of folks are satisfied or happy with a spike or a small 4 pt etc..to each his own..when I shot my first deer at 12 I was happy..when I shot a 4 pt I was less happy..it got to the point where it didn't feel right shooting a small buck..At this point it was time to up my goals and that included big mature public land bucks..every buck I've killed in the last 10 yrs I've felt like my first..I will continue to do so..I watch guys kill a spike with no emotion whatsoever..no shaking no smile nothing..I will not be that guy or I will start fishing or something

westcobbdog

Just a few addendum's :D

I probably should have added that I am not in any way suggesting that people should not shoot what they want, be it spikes, 4 its, etc.

I absolutely believe that a hunter should be able to kill whatever makes him happy, and I will celebrate that kill with them.

I was just asking this question for those that choose to pursue an older class of bucks.

I should probably also have added that I'm talking specifically about Georgia or Southeast hunting, as I completely understand that Midwest hunting is a different animal all together.

just 1 for me. I guess it would have to be above 135 to shoot. Embarrassingly, I arrived at this number on Nov 1 or 2, 2014.

kevincox

You are as good a hunter as anyone getting high scoring racks off "prime property"- what separates hunters is nothing more than the quality of land they have permission to hunt

And the amount of stand time 1 puts in. I've have found out the past 2 years that it's very difficult killing a mature deer only hunting 3-4 times a month!

jmharris23

And the amount of stand time 1 puts in. I've have found out the past 2 years that it's very difficult killing a mature deer only hunting 3-4 times a month!

That's the truth!

sman

I have a weakness for 120s. I want a 140-150. I seem to do find with the 100-110s.

120 is excellent for where I live. Where I lease, not so much. But i can't even get pics of those elusive 140-150s. They get shot all around our lease. 4 yrs one pic. Starting to wonder if our property just doesn't have the acorns to hold those big boys. I don't know. Think I need to head West.

GA DAWG

I haven't killed a buck on our Hancock lease in 6 years. I've let so many 110" deer go it's almost comical and so has every other member on our place.

I've had this same discussion a hundred times a our club, "why am I not seeing all those deer this year as 130" deer"??? I don't know. We do kill a 140-"-150" every year though. Well, I don't, but someone on our place does. But you'd think there would be hundreds running around by now.

We get quite a few pics every year, but we just don't lay eyes on them. I think they hibernate.

My hunting neighbor kilt a 137" 8 other day. So I know where one of em went. Least youd think I did. I had his pics here starting 11-25. Only thing is. Id never saw this deer before in my life. No pics no nothin. He would have been recognizable to because his mainbeams grew funny. Maybe yall grew him. Im sure the guy would thank you :D

kidd1134

I'd say no one is passing 140's , a 140 on the hoof looks like a 160 in some instances.. so no to passing 140's .. agree!

And I'd say you're wrong.. However, I do agree with the "big fish" theory. With some people (not all) the 135in becomes a 150in, etc.
But to say no one passes true 140in deer, I disagree. As I said in my post on the 1st page.. I regularly pass them every year, not because I want too, but because I know the potential of my farms and hope I'm lucky enough to see a giant.
Now where I live in South Georgia, this is not the case.. obviously.

mtr3333

Banned
When sizing up a good buck, I usually make sure I have a good shot to not waste meat. A 130 lb class is usually pretty fat. But I will shoot a 200 class if I must.

T.P.

Banned
My hunting neighbor kilt a 137" 8 other day. So I know where one of em went. Least youd think I did. I had his pics here starting 11-25. Only thing is. Id never saw this deer before in my life. No pics no nothin. He would have been recognizable to because his mainbeams grew funny. Maybe yall grew him. Im sure the guy would thank you :D

90% of the time whena goodern is killed on our place, it's during the rut and we've never seen it before.

GA DAWG

90% of the time whena goodern is killed on our place, it's during the rut and we've never seen it before.

Same with us. Only time I get excited is when one appears during peak rut like this here did. With daylight pics. I saw him live. 4 times. It just didnt come together. Although I figured him in the 120s. Id have killed him in a heartbeat and was trying hard. :D

Doubletrouble

A lot of folks are satisfied or happy with a spike or a small 4 pt etc..to each his own..when I shot my first deer at 12 I was happy..when I shot a 4 pt I was less happy..it got to the point where it didn't feel right shooting a small buck..At this point it was time to up my goals and that included big mature public land bucks..every buck I've killed in the last 10 yrs I've felt like my first..I will continue to do so..I watch guys kill a spike with no emotion whatsoever..no shaking no smile nothing..I will not be that guy or I will start fishing or something
Amen!!!

hambone76

I will keep on shooting 120" deer til my last deer season. I could care less about age or score.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
That too. :)