How much do you “practice”

How often do you shoot your deer rifle?

• Never, unless shooting at a deer

• Just to make sure it’s sighted in, then hunting

• I shoot my deer rifle several times a year

• I shoot monthly

• I’m basically a sniper and shoot ALL the time!

Results are only viewable after voting.

buckpasser

Lately there have been multiple mentions of marksmanship and shooting practice. It has me wondering, how often do you launch rounds from your deer rifle? Not your .22, 9mm pistol, etc. Your deer rifle.

specialk

I shoot mine a couple weeks before season at least one time to make sure im sighted in....cant remember the last time i had to adjust my scope....

chase870

Possum Sox
I started watching the reloading forum and took it up for my 220 Swift. I also got to loading the 30-06 kinda for practice in reloading this has resulted in me shooting my deer rifle a good bit. I was surprised to see the shot group tighten up so its due to better ammo and more trigger time

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
The guy at the gun store did mine. He stuck something in the end of the barrel and took some caps off on the scope. Some kind of dail was in them. He looked thru the scope and turn them dials and it was no time he said I was good to go. (y)

Doug B.

The guy at the gun store did mine. He stuck something in the end of the barrel and took some caps off on the scope. Some kind of dail was in them. He looked thru the scope and turn them dials and it was no time he said I was good to go. (y)
There is no reason to shoot it then. I mean if the guy at the gun store said you are good to go..........I mean he is the professional! If everybody would do this there wouldn't be an ammo shortage! Thank you for being a responsible gun owner!:cheers:

baddave

I used to shoot a fair amount. Hard to say how much, but it was mainly developing loads for my 2 243s and a 260. I got my loads purty much figgered but primers, my sides, gotta save everything now bc primers are basically unavailable

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I will shoot it if I go to the range, but mostly once or twice when I get to Ky

snooker1

I with different guns depending on where I am hunting. But I shot all of them a few times a year and always just before gun season. I shoot weekly with different rifles and hand guns mainly because it is something I enjoy, but it always helps build skills.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
I shoot a lot, but I am fortunate enough to have a 100-150 yard range out the back door. And folks are always bringing me rifles to help them sight in.

These days, my grandboys do most of the shooting... :rofl:

At 10 and 7, they have shot rifles MUCH more than the average hunter.

Had a grown man at the house last year, trying to get his mechanics straight. Shooting a .270. The Kid, nine at the time, watched him fire three rounds, and told him he was jerking the trigger, and looking up over the scope...:bounce:

I can still put three in a ragged hole off sandbags on a good day, and five in a snuff can any day. At my age and eyesight that's good enough.

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
I shoot a gun at least once a week. Some weeks, multiple guns.. :)
Shot a rifle Monday morning in the backyard..
00c274d9-fbd4-4c43-82de-f25e2a6264d8-png.1194467

Last edited:

Blackston

2 shots before season

transfixer

I've got to find a place to shoot now that I've dropped out of my club, we had a logging road we set up targets at 50 , 100 and 200yds, and I would go shoot every couple months during the off season, sometimes more , especially if I'm trying out different loads I've worked up .

Indoor ranges don't work for me, and most outdoor ranges are too far away to make it feasible, I've got a possible on some private land that has a powerline running through it, that might work, just have to check it out further.

Me personally, I see no reason to shoot and practice with my deer rifle. It’s Georgia, and the furthest shot might be 75 yards for me. Which to be honest is a chip shot with a rifle.

I do shoot my western gun a bit more throughout the year out to 500 yards and try to shoot on some windy days to help simulate reality. Aside from that, I do shoot my pcp air guns quite a bit.

Feel blessed to have really shot a lot when I was younger to help get me to the level I think I’m at today.

Ammo is just too expensive for me to be randomly shooting. I haven’t even shot sporting clays in over a year because it just costs too much to shoot these days.

Last edited:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Usually a couple from each at the beginning of the season to make sure the scope is still on, and that's it. I see no reason to waste expensive ammo shooting my deer rifles all the time. It costs several dollars every time I pull the trigger on one of them, and ammo I like is really hard to find for my calibers right now, to boot. I'm not shooting at deer a thousand yards away, I have no reason to develop super sniper skills. The vast majority of deer I kill are inside of a hundred yards.

Qazaq15

I use my inline ML to do some dry fire training, and shoot the xbow some, mostly at the beginning of the season. Once my rifles are sighted in I don't fool with them.

bany

I chose to sight it in and hunting. Hunting includes pigs so I shoot it a fair amount. I feel like shooting any gun is good for shooting any gun.

deers2ward

I'm a handloader/reloader and get bored. Like to try different rifles, scopes, loads, so am constantly changing things up. Also live in Florida in the city. Going to the rifle range gets me my fix between trips to GA.

I used to be the guy that shot 2 or 3 bullets per year out of my 1 deer rifle. Nothing wrong with that Getting into reloading, or going on hunting trips where you are needing to be proficient at 300-600 yards changes things.

RamblinWreck88

Useles Billy ain’t got nothing on ME !
I shoot a good bit in the off-season. I take the 30-06 from time to time, the 168 gr's I use for the M1 rifle have a similar POI to the 165 gr hunting ammo, so it's not too expensive for me to do so.

The limiting factor is that the 30-06 has nothing but a hard butt plate, and I ain't wearing multiple layers during the off-season. It just ain't fun.