How much do you “practice”

How often do you shoot your deer rifle?

• Never, unless shooting at a deer

• Just to make sure it’s sighted in, then hunting

• I shoot my deer rifle several times a year

• I shoot monthly

• I’m basically a sniper and shoot ALL the time!

Results are only viewable after voting.

marshallknight

When the boys were little we shot a lot. They did most of the shooting, but I would get on the bench too. But ammo was way cheaper back then. Now days it's just a couple shots before season to make sure everything is still dialed in.

marshallknight

Had a grown man at the house last year, trying to get his mechanics straight. Shooting a .270. The Kid, nine at the time, watched him fire three rounds, and told him he was jerking the trigger, and looking up over the scope...:bounce:
An empty chamber and a slap to the back of the head will fix trigger jerking everytime. :bounce:

specialk

i bought a remmy 7mm 700 used about 25 or so yrs ago. i bedded the stock, slapped on a adj. trigger and installed a titanium firing pin and topped it with a luey 3x9x40 scope..i also added a Kwik-Klip conversion kit.....bought 200 rnds of 165gr federal premiums( BTSP) sited it in back then and only had to make minor adj. over the years...

p.s. to tell you how long it's been i bought the ammo from a old gun store in east point called ''the firing pin''.....they've been closed for awhile...was a good store back in the day.....

ChidJ

To answer the question, I suppose my "deer rifle" is whichever I feel like grabbing and heading out with. I don't shoot a lot of volume but I'm sending at least a few weekly.

I think the poll may be a little biased as I don't think very many people who would normally choose the last poll option will like to self identify as a "sniper"

I'm mostly curious, why the question? I may shoot a lot but I certainly don't think its necessary to be able to kill deer and I don't do it for that purpose. I mostly do it for fun.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
To answer the question, I suppose my "deer rifle" is whichever I feel like grabbing and heading out with. I don't shoot a lot of volume but I'm sending at least a few weekly.

I think the poll may be a little biased as I don't think very many people who would normally choose the last poll option will like to self identify as a "sniper"

I'm mostly curious, why the question? I may shoot a lot but I certainly don't think its necessary to be able to kill deer and I don't do it for that purpose. I mostly do it for fun.
I like to shoot a bunch for fun, too, but I'm not doing it with my .300Winmag. :)

Waddams

I enjoy target shooting as a hobby. However, with the cost of ammo, I shoot my deer rifle just enough before the season to check sight-in. 2 to 3 rounds at most as long as it's held it's zero between seasons.

The rest of my target practice is usually done with a .22lr or my AK/AR simply to reinforce slow trigger pull, breath control, posture for supporting rifle, etc. Getting to be the .22 more and more on it's own, again, due to ammo cost.

I have found myself occasionally at some place we can shoot that isn't a commercial or public range. While staying safe, getting to shoot non-paper targets, let go with quicker than 1 sec between shots follow ups - that's some good fun while there. Again - while staying safe and not getting stupid like shooting tannerite from 10 yards away or something.

BeerThirty

I try to go to the range twice per year, usually within 45 days of hunting season. First visit is usually just to calibrate/dial-in. Second visit is to validate visit #1 and just practice taking shots at different ranges and controlling my trigger discipline. I'm really trying to work on keeping my eyes open when I shoot but I just can't do it.

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
Deer rifle? A sight-in trip to the range a week or so before season. Other rifles, multiple times a year. No need to waste the good high dollar ammo on fun trips to the range.

Lilly001

I do the couple of rounds before the season for my deer rifles. But I have a dozen or so “deer rifles”.
I shoot a lot of .22 and 9mm in both handgun and rifle. Mostly because it’s available and less expensive.:shoot:

SC Hunter

I shoot my deer rifles a few times a month, usually just a few rounds to stay in the groove. I have shot my 7mm-08 Encore so much I can shoulder it standing a shoot it and hit a 6 inch plate at 100 yards about 80% of the time.

I shoot my 17 and 22s just as much probably more. We're currently building a house and had the dirt for the pad build up dug from our land and a shooting back stop dug I'm going to set up a 100 yard range once we get moved and all. I really enjoy shooting and being proficient.

Jim Boyd

Shooting is therapy that, IMHO, trains you for situational shooting.

I have a spot on our farm that will accommodate a 450 yard range and that is gonna be one of my spring / summer projects.

Covered and elevated bench that will substitute as a deer stand. It will look across my planted power line and 400 yards down a long thin food plot.

buckpasser

It has come up multiple times in deer threads. Someone would say that a key cause of a problem was not practicing and knowing that weapon well enough. I wondered what “well enough” was to most here. It seems it’s about as I suspected. I grew up shooting and only make sure I’m still dialed in, but feared I may be a minority.

The “sniper” thing was a joke, but if you’re choosing to shoot a high powered rifle all the time you may actually appreciate the title! Haha

Waddams

The “sniper” thing was a joke, but if you’re choosing to shoot a high powered rifle all the time you may actually appreciate the title! Haha
I actually very much enjoy "sniper" type accuracy shooting. I'm not necessarily that good with being super accurate and precise but I for certain can hit the DRT high shoulder and neck zones on a deer out to 200 yards with my 243 as long the deer is cooperating by not moving too much! At least I haven't missed yet.

Buckstop

I hand load ammo and tinker with rifles for a hobby, so it makes a good excuse to shoot them two or three times a month in the off season. Mostly trying out different loads or tweaks to the rifles.

Last edited:

gma1320

I like a Useles Billy Thread
I shoot mine about every 2-3 months.

transfixer

i bought a remmy 7mm 700 used about 25 or so yrs ago. i bedded the stock, slapped on a adj. trigger and installed a titanium firing pin and topped it with a luey 3x9x40 scope..i also added a Kwik-Klip conversion kit.....bought 200 rnds of 165gr federal premiums( BTSP) sited it in back then and only had to make minor adj. over the years...

p.s. to tell you how long it's been i bought the ammo from a old gun store in east point called ''the firing pin''.....they've been closed for awhile...was a good store back in the day.....

I remember that store ! I had that guy do some gunsmith work on two or three different guns , he was good !

transfixer

I actually very much enjoy "sniper" type accuracy shooting. I'm not necessarily that good with being super accurate and precise but I for certain can hit the DRT high shoulder and neck zones on a deer out to 200 yards with my 243 as long the deer is cooperating by not moving too much! At least I haven't missed yet.

I reload so ammo cost isn't a major concern for me, and I freely admit I'm an accuracy snob ! If I can't get my rifles to put 5 shots in an inch or less at 100yds with one of my loads, I'll sell the rifle, or put a different barrel on it, my furthest shot on a deer was 275yds , and it was a high shoulder DRT shot, taken plenty between 100 and 200yds, even the last few years at my old club in the big woods I'd still have almost a 200yd shot in places,

so making sure I stay in tune with my rifles is important to me, which is why I've got to secure a good place to shoot again before too long .