I'm gonna dip my toe in…

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
After listening to some Clint Locklear podcasts and Ed Schneider videos I’m a lot more confident this year. Which means I’ll probably goose egg

Doug B.

After listening to some Clint Locklear podcasts and Ed Schneider videos I’m a lot more confident this year. Which means I’ll probably goose egg
No sir! Hang in there. You will catch em up. Don't worry about the big wheels and what the so called "professionals" do. From what I've seen most (not all) of them only want to brag on themselves. If I can catch them anybody can.

2dye4

So you put Peet moss underneath the trap and on top? I've been using amusing poly-fil under the pan Instead of wax paper or screen on top. Guess I could use Peet moss?
I guess Pete moss under the trap wouldn't let it set solid.
Put a piece of wax paper over the pan and sift peat moss over it and then sift some of the surrounding dirt over it to blend it in with its surroundings. That’s my method and it seems to work well. Best of luck and wish you well! Good Luck

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
I have a dilapidated house on the edge of my property property that has been abandoned for decades. Never had electricity there. The roof and the walls and the floor have all caved in on it's foundation. I'm sure it is a Coyote hot bed. Must be room for a hunnert over there underneath all that junk and around a few sheds that are in the same condition. The place is too grown up and thick to even deer hunt. It is less than a couple 100 yd from camp and I hear the coyotes doing their war hooping over there all the time...
How close should I set a trap? There's a couple of good spots 25 to 50 yd from the rubble.

2dye4

I have a dilapidated house on the edge of my property property that has been abandoned for decades. Never had electricity there. The roof and the walls and the floor have all caved in on it's foundation. I'm sure it is a Coyote hot bed. Must be room for a hunnert over there underneath all that junk and around a few sheds that are in the same condition. The place is too grown up and thick to even deer hunt. It is less than a couple 100 yd from camp and I hear the coyotes doing their war hooping over there all the time...
How close should I set a trap? There's a couple of good spots 25 to 50 yd from the rubble.
Coyotes are an opportunist and scavengers so they like to take the easy way out and follow openings like roads or paths. That’s where I’d focus on rather that thick beds around structures, however if it’s easily accessible coyotes are all the time looking for rodents that may live under these structures. The point that coyotes start taking down fawns, adult deer, etc. is the point where they become desperate when no food sources are available.

Last edited:

1eyefishing

Coyotes are an opportunist and scavenger so they like to take the easy way out and follow openings like roads or paths. That’s where I’d focus on rather that thick beds around structures, however if it’s easily accessible coyotes are all the time looking for rodents that may live under these structures. The point that coyotes start taking down fawns, adult deer, etc. is the point where they become desperate when no food sources are available.
The drive-in area close to the house and the path to the outbuildings are the open areas I'm speaking of ...
They are definitely on the deer, and I don't think they're that desperate.
I found a couple of does with the back end chewed off of them lately and seen several slow chases with a yote or 2 just trotting after after a trotting doe. They trot it for a couple hours until its stamina is gone and then a couple more yotes join in.
Their visual and aural presence is exponentially higher than it was 10 years ago here.
I'm thinking they're denning near/in these structures. I hear them there morning and night.
My question is 25 or 50 yd too close? I'm anxious to give it a whirl.

1eyefishing

By the way, you really messed up a good turkey fryer! I’d have donated you something other than that I have laying around the house.
That thing was nasty from being in the garage for a few years and had a rwrens nest built-in it. I bought a new pot to replace it before I sacrificed it.

2dye4

You’re good at anything you’d like to try because it’s all trial and error. The more you catch the more your skills become honed in on what works for you. Don’t be scared to try anything that you may think will work. I focus on trails and roadways.

1eyefishing

Alright.
2nd night out for the DPs and 1st night out for the 5 yote traps...
Caught a Boone and Crockett coon In a yote trap, and one more in a DP.
Also caught a possum in a DP which I managed to let go with no choke stick.
Do you all let possums go? Or do they do much harm to the turkey nests?

Screenshot_20211216-101819_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20211216-102933_Gallery.jpg

Now I have 2 bloody catch circles, one yote set and 1DP. I'm thinking it won't bother the yotes that much, I'll just rake the bloody mess out and reset.
On the DP, is that going to kill the catch ratio at that one anchor? Should I move it? Hopefully not more than a few feet, it's at a nice little entrance corner to a food plot?
Y'all are teachin me good, input appreciated.

1eyefishing

I'm after the raccoons as much as anything else. Probably more.
I accept that coyote trapping may be a bit more of a challenge but might as well do both at the same time... and enjoy the learning on the way.
It seems like a lot of work being that I have to stay on site while my traps sit. But it is a means to an end. The end being helping my deer and turkey.
It seems like I have hordes of both targets.
I have an RV on the Gulf that I haven't visited since the beginning of deer season. And 2 boats that need to be run. I'd rather be fishing, but feel this is my duty.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
If I had as many coons as you do, I'd get rid of a few, too.

Around my place, I don't have many and they ain't bothering anything except Prissy the Chihuahua...Got a big ol coon that regularly finishes her dog food bowl if she doesn't... ?

I ain't trying to catch him. He's kinda one of the family.

2dye4

Alright.
2nd night out for the DPs and 1st night out for the 5 yote traps...
Caught a Boone and Crockett coon In a yote trap, and one more in a DP.
Also caught a possum in a DP which I managed to let go with no choke stick.
Do you all let possums go? Or do they do much harm to the turkey nests?

View attachment 1122767

View attachment 1122770

Now I have 2 bloody catch circles, one yote set and 1DP. I'm thinking it won't bother the yotes that much, I'll just rake the bloody mess out and reset.
On the DP, is that going to kill the catch ratio at that one anchor? Should I move it? Hopefully not more than a few feet, it's at a nice little entrance corner to a food plot?
Y'all are teachin me good, input appreciated.
I think that they are all predators that harm our game animals.