I'm gonna dip my toe in…

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
So the final score was 5 coons, 2 possums, one Bobcat and the rat.. all around my center foodplot.
I thought I was gonna hurry back before Christmas but doesn't look like thats gonna work out.
I'll move over to a different foodplot area right after Christmas.
One toe in... about nine to go!
Thanks for all the input, It makes it fun.
Merry Christmas to all!

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
So the final score was 5 coons, 2 possums, one Bobcat and the rat.. all around my center foodplot.
I thought I was gonna hurry back before Christmas but doesn't look like thats gonna work out.
I'll move over to a different foodplot area right after Christmas.
One toe in... about nine to go!
Thanks for all the input, It makes it fun.
Merry Christmas to all!

You got more than one toe in, for sure... I'd say one foot, at least!

I know I already said it, but you did very well.

Hat tip ? to it!!!

1eyefishing

Still lots to learn!!!

Me: Why won't that trap snap?
Trap: Press harder...
Me: Like this?
Trap: Lean over here and look closer.
Me: OK.
Trap: Face, collar, and shirtsleeve full of mud and sand!

:rofl:

Alright.
2nd night out for the DPs and 1st night out for the 5 yote traps...
Caught a Boone and Crockett coon In a yote trap, and one more in a DP.
Also caught a possum in a DP which I managed to let go with no choke stick.
Do you all let possums go? Or do they do much harm to the turkey nests?

View attachment 1122767

View attachment 1122770

Now I have 2 bloody catch circles, one yote set and 1DP. I'm thinking it won't bother the yotes that much, I'll just rake the bloody mess out and reset.
On the DP, is that going to kill the catch ratio at that one anchor? Should I move it? Hopefully not more than a few feet, it's at a nice little entrance corner to a food plot?
Y'all are teachin me good, input appreciated.

Opossums are as bad a nest raider as coons and skunks.

Blood and gore shouldn't be to much of an issue. If anything it'll be a draw. Remember you're targeting predators who aren't shy about shedding blood. The main thing, imo, is try to keep the trap itself free of blood, gore, bait, lure or anything that would draw attention to the trap itself.

If blood at a set is a concern explore methods of dispatch other than the classic brainshot. Open head wounds bleed excessively. Or catch pole and move away from the set.

1eyefishing

Opossums are as bad a nest raider as coons and skunks.

Blood and gore shouldn't be to much of an issue. If anything it'll be a draw. Remember you're targeting predators who aren't shy about shedding blood. The main thing, imo, is try to keep the trap itself free of blood, gore, bait, lure or anything that would draw attention to the trap itself.

If blood at a set is a concern explore methods of dispatch other than the classic brainshot. Open head wounds bleed excessively. Or catch pole and move away from the set.

Thanks, I was about to ask about the catch pole thing but yall have alleviated most my c oncern...
So far I've just scrubbed the blood off a couple traps with dirt, but hadn't caught anything on a reset.
I've only got 4 nights × 5 footholds under my belt... and a dozen DPs.
I figured as much on the possums, and d id dispatch a second one I cauaght...
Thx, GW...

sleepr71

Think about it… That’s a lot of predators from a small area! If you can get rid of most of the coyotes… That property will rebound with small game and the deer will probably feel a lot more comfortable coming there too?