Jagdwurst Venison Sausage

JohnK3

Banned
Made this today, just came out of the smoker:

Jagdwurst Venison Sausage, aka German Hunter's Sausage

4.5 lbs. venison, cubed (I used ground)
1.5 lbs. fresh ham, cubed (had leftovers from Honeybaked in the freezer)
4 lbs. fresh bacon, cubed (Wilkes' in Tucker didn't have their wonderful bacon cubed, so I used sliced)
1 Tbsp. white pepper
3.5 oz. Kosher salt
1 Tbsp. ground coriander
1 garlic glove,minced
1 Tbsp. ground ginger
0.75 oz. ground mustard seeds
1 Tbsp. ground nutmeg (ground from a whole nutmeg)
2.5 tsp., scant, LEM Cure (original recipe called for 2 level tsp. of Prague Powder #2), dissolved in 0.5 cup water
0.5 oz. powdered dextrose (corn sugar, available at homebrew supply stores as "Priming sugar")
42mm to 46mm hog casings or 40mm to 43mm beef rounds (only had 38mm hog casings and no patience to wait for the beef rounds to arrive in the mail from LEM)

Grind the venison and ham through a small disc. Grind the bacon through a medium disc. Add remaining ingredients and mix thoroughly. Stuff into the casings through a large disc or a stuffing disc. (doesn't grind, just holds the worm in place) Place in the refrigerator and let cool for at least 30 minutes.

Preheat a smoker to 130F and smoke for an hour (I used Alder). Raise the temperature to 165F and smoke for no longer than 30 minutes or until the internal temperature of the links reaches 160F. Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or package and freeze.

Source: The Venison Sausage Cookbook by Harold Webster

My sausage stayed in the smoker for a couple of hours, rather than just 30 minutes, as it was not getting up to 160F internally. With 4 lbs of bacon, I didn't want to risk anything, even with the cure.

I used the LEM cure because that's what I had. I called LEM to determine the substitution rate and they recommended 0.25 tsp/lb of meat. You could probably use the 2 level tsp that the original recipe calls for, as the bacon and the ham were both cured, however, I opted for the safety margin and LEM's recommendation.

The mother of one of my daughter's playmates was over when the sausage came out of the smoker. She is German and she and all the little girls in her van took a taste and pronounced it very good. This is definitely a keeper!

Jagdwurst1.JPG

Jagdwurst2.JPG

maker4life

It sure looks good !

JohnK3

Banned
Okay, taste test results are in:

A bit too salty. need to cut back on the salt, as the bacon obviously carries some salt with it. Will probably cut back the salt by 1/2 oz.

Also, the casings are a bit tough. This is a problem I've been having with all my sausage-making efforts. I'll be calling LEM tomorrow to see if they have any advice on making the casings a bit more tender.

The AmBASSaDEER

Wow that looks good John. dont throw it away, just send it to me. I like salt.

JohnK3

Banned
Wow that looks good John. dont throw it away, just send it to me. I like salt.
Sorry, but ain't gonna happen!

Wife and I decided we're going to use this batch for making beans, collards, etc. Anything that needs some meat and salt flavor while cooking, we'll throw in some of this sausage.

Found out on a different website a couple of my problems:

#1 Using LEM cure rather than Prague Powder #2 (aka Insta-Cure #2) LEM Cure is not the same thing and doesn't contain the same ingredients. The Prague Powder #2 contains both Sodium Nitrate and Sodium Nitrite for cold-smoked sausages. LEM Cure only contains Sodium Nitrite and does not perform any cold-curing. It also contains a different amount of salt than Prague Powder #2.

#2 Going to use true "fresh" bacon rather than the Wilkes bacon. Evidently, the Wilkes bacon contains some cure/salt already. This affected the total salt balance of the sausage.

#3 Will be rinsing the casings better next time. Just rinsing off the outside salt and soaking doesn't remove enough salt, according to the FAQ I found at http://www.sausagemaker.com/index.asp?PageAction=Custom&ID=36

#4 Won't be cooking the sausages at such a high heat, either. Same FAQ as above.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Were the casings fresh?

JohnK3

Banned
Were the casings fresh?
This has happened every time I've tried making sausage, no matter when the casings were purchased.

I had purchased these casings directly from LEM less than a month before I first used them.

The results very much matched the FAQ mentioned above, down to the circumstances surrounding the tough casings. I don't believe the "freshness" of the casings had anything to do with it. Inadequate preparation seems to be the key.