John Deere Tractor

Twitcher

The tractor is a 1070 with 440 on the bucket arms. This may be a dumb question but is there a way to speed up the PTO? When I use a bush hog or finishing mower it seems the PTO is running way too slow. I have an old Ford 8N and the PTO runs much faster on it.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
The tractor is a 1070 with 440 on the bucket arms. This may be a dumb question but is there a way to speed up the PTO? When I use a bush hog or finishing mower it seems the PTO is running way too slow. I have an old Ford 8N and the PTO runs much faster on it.

I am not familiar with that particular tractor, but one solution might be to put the tractor in a slower gear and speed up the engine.
Some tractors will have it printed on the tachometer to say something like 540 PTO RPM at a certain engine RPM.

Twitcher

Thanks for the reply. I tried going all the way down to 1st gear with more throttle but still was slow.

I will have to check the tachometer to see what it has on it.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I make the assumption you dont have it in ground speed PTO???

What that means is some tractors (newer than an 8N) have the choice of either PTO speed based on travel speed or engine speed.
Different positions on the PTO engagement lever is how my MF 135 allows this choice.

Engine speed PTO will run regardless of whether you are moving as long as the engine is running and the clutch is out. Ground speed PTO will only run if the tractor is moving.

You can get a manual for that tractor here.
http://www.ytmag.com/store/manuals/jdman1.htm

Your 8N does not have a live PTO. The PTO runs directly off the engine, and operates relative to engine speed. This is considered not such a good thing because the implement can drive the tractor, with potentially disastrous results. Your 8N PTO only operates when the tractor is in gear

The John Deere has a live PTO. It runs off a separate clutch, and the PTO can be operated when the tractor is out of gear. Putting the clutch pedal half way disengages the PTO and prevents implements from driving back through the tractor. Your PTO will max out at 540 RPM regardless of engine speed. Short of a slipping clutch on the PTO, there's nothing much that could cause the PTO to operate at a lower RPM. As long as the rotary mower and finish mower are operating satisfactorily, don't worry about it.

Twitcher

I have only used it a few times and it has been like that from day one. It cuts at a constant speed so nothing seems to be slipping. I guess I am just not use to it.

Thanks to all for your replies.

SGADawg

Tractors have 2 PTO speeds, 540 rpm or 1000 rpm. Some have one, some the other, some have both. It's possible that you are used to 1000 rpm equipt and are now using 540 rpm equipt. If the pto shaft has 6 ridges, it is a 540. If it has 21 ridges, it is a 1000. Obviously, some implements are designed for one speed, some the other, that's why the shafts are different.