Just wondering about HAM radio enthusiast here....

Pig Predator

Useles Billy’s Fishel Hog Killer ?
They wouldnt say anything about surrendering "4th amendment rights" they would use literature such as warrantless inspections and subtle word play like that. This is the ffc we're talking about. Just another 3 letter gov enforcer. I dont care either way. Just giving those looking into it a heads up to look for word play.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
If you only used a cb would this also apply with the 4th amendment ?

That's a good point. If you are operating a 2500 giga-watt amp on channel 6, the FCC could show up at your house just the same. Or if you get on 80 meters and start talking away without a license. I don't really see a reason not to get your license if you want to talk far on HAM.

I mean, it's a radio. Probably not the best place to discuss stuff you don't want everyone in the world to be able to hear you know. I don't talk about people who live around me on CB, its not good to gossip anyways and you never know if they like messing with radios too.

greg_n_clayton

Just renewed my license for the 4th time. I am currently looking for a HF radio. Prices are through the roof now days. I will probably have to to go used !!

greg_n_clayton

I recently picked up a Yaesu VX-6r and an Ailunce HD1 to start playing with and learning. Between the two of them I can listen to darn near anything not encrypted (with the right antenna) and transmit on all the HAM bands (analog and digital). I haven't taken the test or started prepping for it yet. Right now I'm just learning to program and operate the radios, which is not at all straightforward or simple.
Why you buying those hand held radios may I ask ?

greg_n_clayton

If you can reach the Jasper, GA repeater on 2M, then you can get pretty good coverage:
Jasper, GA K4SJR 146.700

A bit of a stretch for Rome, GA repeater on 2M but good coverage:
W4VO 146.940

Marietta at Sweat Mountain should cover you for sure:
Marietta/Sweat Mtn. W4KIP 146.730
Isn't that Rome repeater a linked machine ? I am thinking it was back 12 years or so ago when I was building a job in Trion. It might have been just during NETS. I am thinking that thing was linked all up and down the western side of the state and into Tennessee and Alabama.

jrickman

Why you buying those hand held radios may I ask ?

I wanted something cheap and handy to listen in and figure out if I want to go any further. When I am ready to get my ticket and start talking, I should be able to hit the Wauka Mountain, Ivy Mountain, and maybe the Black Rock Mountain repeaters with a good Diamond antenna if I sit on the porch. If not, I'll look at a higher power fixed setup, probably for 2M.

greg_n_clayton

I wanted something cheap and handy to listen in and figure out if I want to go any further. When I am ready to get my ticket and start talking, I should be able to hit the Wauka Mountain, Ivy Mountain, and maybe the Black Rock Mountain repeaters with a good Diamond antenna if I sit on the porch. If not, I'll look at a higher power fixed setup, probably for 2M.
The Black repeater is down. The .330 in Toccoa. There is another club repeater there on Currahee Nun. The .670 in Gainesville is a good one. .270 over in SC is another one as is the 030 over there.

greg_n_clayton

They are very mobile. Good for short range info.
I meant why 2. If he is just wanting to listen to explore I got a handheld or two. He could have borrowed one. I could probably put him a 2 meter mobile together he could use as a base if he decides to get his ticket until he can put his own together.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Maybe there are more than one in the household he’s trying to cover for

normaldave

GON Weatherman
Isn't that Rome repeater a linked machine ? I am thinking it was back 12 years or so ago when I was building a job in Trion. It might have been just during NETS. I am thinking that thing was linked all up and down the western side of the state and into Tennessee and Alabama.
I think Dallas, GA has a linked 2M repeater, part of the SE Link Network.
SE Link network

As far as I can tell, the Rome 2M isn't linked in the traditional OTA fashion. Echolink via internet would do it I guess.

normaldave

GON Weatherman
As an old CB of the past, I shut down when skip was so bad. I am getting more interested in Ham also. Is there a map showing repeaters for Cherokee and Cobb? I live on the northern base of Sweat Mountain and get blocked on a lot of things?

Ok so I completely overlooked this one. If you can reach Bank of America tower in ATL from your location, then you are golden.
W4DOC 145.350 BOA Atlanta Tower Repeater

My stepson was on his 5W handheld inside a building at GA Tech, he made it to the BOA tower repeater, and I could hear him straight to our little J-pole antenna in Rome. I couldn't reach him, as the BOA tower was too far from our place in Rome, but it was pretty cool anyhow.

jrickman

I meant why 2. If he is just wanting to listen to explore I got a handheld or two. He could have borrowed one. I could probably put him a 2 meter mobile together he could use as a base if he decides to get his ticket until he can put his own together.

I got the Yaesu first, because of all the bands it can receive, then picked up the Ailunce for its digital capability.

GA1dad

They are great for learning some of the basics,,, even if you are not transmitting yet. Have you made a counterpoise for it yet? If not, they are absolutely worth what little bit of effort it takes. Your reception will get much better with it,, especially indoors. You can also program in some frequencies and listen to some satellites with it, as long as there is not a lot of electrical interference around you.

jrickman

They are great for learning some of the basics,,, even if you are not transmitting yet. Have you made a counterpoise for it yet? If not, they are absolutely worth what little bit of effort it takes. Your reception will get much better with it,, especially indoors. You can also program in some frequencies and listen to some satellites with it, as long as there is not a lot of electrical interference around you.

Yeah, I had a diamond SRH320A with a tiger tail on the Yaesu so I could just leave it sitting to listen rather than needing to hold it all the time when scanning. Sadly the diamond was the victim of a desk drawer mishap and the factory rubber duck won’t screw down cleanly on my tiger tail’s eye, so I’m waiting for the mailman. It made a huge difference on the little Yaesu for reception, but barely any difference at all on the Ailunce.

GA1dad

Yeah, I had a diamond SRH320A with a tiger tail on the Yaesu so I could just leave it sitting to listen rather than needing to hold it all the time when scanning. Sadly the diamond was the victim of a desk drawer mishap and the factory rubber duck won’t screw down cleanly on my tiger tail’s eye, so I’m waiting for the mailman. It made a huge difference on the little Yaesu for reception, but barely any difference at all on the Ailunce.

You can also secure the counterpoise under the belt clip screw if it has a metal frame. The antenna grounds to the frame.

Mars

Do any of you hams use dstar? I got an ID-4100 for my birthday and I've really enjoyed dstar. I've talked to folks in Europe. It kinda feels like cheating since it uses the internet but it's still fun.

normaldave

GON Weatherman
I haven't yet, but I will say Happy Birthday, and that's one sweet radio!
ico-id-4100a_xl.jpg

I don't think it's "cheating" to use the digital modes, I think it's just a technical adaptation to older methods. With 2M VHF and UHF, we're pretty limited to line of sight broadcasting range. To go farther, I will need to upgrade to HF, more equipment, more licensing.

One area I've been advised to avoid is the temptation of accessory power amplifiers for transmission. Kinda' takes the sport out of it. If you can reach the distance using existing equipment, antenna, know-how, and atmospheric conditions, it's like winning the race the old-school way.

Do you plan to use it as a base station, or mobile in the vehicle? If you haven't gotten Anderson Power Pole connector kits, now is a good time, they are well worth it. Find the correct crimper too, got mine off of Amazon before I fired them.
Powerwerx starter kit
I have plans to move my radio from base to mobile operation from time to time, and the power pole plugs will make that much easier and neater.