Let's Do This Again?

Woody

Founder - Gone but not forgotten.
If you have any doubts about knowing how to skin a Buck properly for mounting -- simply cut the front legs off at the knees and don't make any cuts at all around the brisket area. -- Just pull the front legs out of the skin as you would pull your arms out of a long sleeved shirt.

If you're hunting with an outfitter -- always stay with your buck throughout the skinning process to make certain they know what to do. -- Believe me, sometimes they don't.

Here is a photo of a properly skinned deer and ready for the Taxidermist. -- Notice the brisket area. (Breast)

53832674.jpg

Woody

Here is a photo of a botched skinning job. By an outfitter.

This deer was skinned by splitting the front legs up the center and straight across/down the other leg.

This removes the entire brisket from the mount. --- If splitting the legs is your only option -- you must split down the back side and stay off the breast bone.;)

53832666.jpg

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Thanks again for posting this Woods....

Anybody gotta a cape I can borrow??? :D:D

GeauxLSU

Jim Thompson said:

Processor ruined mine too, but for a different reasons, so nope. :cry:

bilgerat

Senior
any ideas where I might find a buck to harvest so I can try this out?....youve actually got to see one before you can skin it!!

bubbabuck

Live From The Tree
Jim Thompson said:

Man......We should have saved that Button cape !!!!!!!!!!1

:bounce:

Meriwether Mike

Ouch! Was mine okay Woody? I guess I would have had a PM if it was not.

Toliver

Woody said:
If you have any doubts about knowing how to skin a Buck properly for mounting -- simply cut the front legs off at the knees and don't make any cuts at all around the brisket area. -- Just pull the front legs out of the skin as you would pull your arms out of a long sleeved shirt.

If you're hunting with an outfitter -- always stay with your buck throughout the skinning process to make certain they know what to do. -- Believe me, sometimes they don't.

Here is a photo of a properly skinned deer and ready for the Taxidermist. -- Notice the brisket area. (Breast)

53832674.jpg

Shouldn't there be a head somewhere to go along with the cape? :huh:

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
BTW, even with the botched outfitter's job of caping Woody still made the mount GREAT!

One in the middle...the brisket is all off a different deer. Thanks again boss

Attachments

• texas10mount.jpg
    texas10mount.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 1,049

Hawken2222

I couldn't agree more with what Woody said. I just got a mount back this last saturday, and My outfitter made some mistake's while caping my buck out. From now on I will observe any animal I shoot being capped by the outfitter. Luckily my Taxidermist was able to salvage my cape, and the mount turned out great.

Bones

Woody I have hunted for 6 years and have yet to kill a buck to mount. I have a feeling that this year is the year. Could you elaborate a little more on caping a buck. Do you hang the deer by its back feet cut a complete circle before reaching the front legs, pull front legs through, continue skinning until you reach the neck and cut head off there? How do you keep blood off the cape? Have been reading and following this board since you started it. Even though you are a couple hundred miles away iffin I gits one I am going to get it to you.

Bones

Woody

Bones said:
Woody I have hunted for 6 years and have yet to kill a buck to mount. I have a feeling that this year is the year. Could you elaborate a little more on caping a buck. Do you hang the deer by its back feet cut a complete circle before reaching the front legs, pull front legs through, continue skinning until you reach the neck and cut head off there? How do you keep blood off the cape? Have been reading and following this board since you started it. Even though you are a couple hundred miles away iffin I gits one I am going to get it to you.

Bones

Thanks Bones -- I would hang the deer by it's back feet for the skinning job. -- Then move to a table for the actual caping.

Blood isn't a problem since the cape will be shampooed 2 or three times in the mounting process.

I'm working on putting together a thread with much more detail;)