Marlin XL7 Review

pacecars

I picked up my rifle yesterday and the scope mounts came in the mail so it is all good to go so I thought I would give a little review for anyone that may be thinking about picking one of these up. It is a Marlin XL7 .30-06. It is a blued finish that is kind of in-between gloss and matte finish. It has a 22 inch barrel and synthetic stock with a blind magazine. The stock is black with sharp molded in checkering and a 1 inch thick solid recoil pad. The barrel is not free floated and the stock has 2 pressure pads near the end that press against the barrel. The gun comes with 2 piece Weaver style bases but I ditched those and picked up some low one piece Talley Lightweight aluminum rings instead. I mounted a Leupold 6x42 gloss scope and roughly bore sighted it.

DSC_0001.jpg

I went to Walmart and bought 2 boxes of the cheap Winchester 150gr Power Points and headed to the range. Fired a couple shots at 25 yds to get it on paper and noticed surprisingly little kick compared to the few other '06 rifles I have fired for such a light rifle. Set a target up at 100 yds and fired a shot that was about 6 inches off the paper! OOPS! got it dield back down the right way and fired a few shots and got it fine tuned. I set up a new target and let the barrel cool a little bit before firing 3 shots to see what she would do. The first 2 shots were within 1/4" of each other with the 3rd shot making the group 3/4 inches! It had to be a fluke so I fired 3 more at a new target and the first 2 shots were touching but the 3rd opened it to 7/8 inches! So 2 groups under the fabled inch with a cheap ammo and cheap gun (good quality scope and mounts though). I can't wait to see what she will do with some handloads tailored to the rifle!

The rifle is a lot nicer than I thought it would be considering the price. The stock is stiffer than most of the other cheap injection molded ones. I would have preferred a metal triggerguard instead of the plastic one but it looks OK. The safety is 2 position and does not lock the bolt down which some won't like. They even made the barrel nut look good. The only thing I don't like on the gun is the way Marlin's barrel stamping looks. There is something about it that just doesn't look good. All in all I would say Marlin did a great job and has a winner. I would definately reccomend the XL7 over the Savage or Stevens, Mossburg, or the Rem 710 or 770 as a first gun.

gnarlyone

Xl7

Your gun is exactly what every other one i have witnessed shot like..local gunsmith said it may be the tightest grouping guns out of the box that he has ever shot(over 40 yrs.)..and he has never been a Marlin fan....Go to Marlin Owners website and look at the reviews....everybody is saying the same thing.

seaweaver

I have that plastic guard on my MR7.
it is a .270 and shoots very tight. I do like the 3 position safety on it.
So what's the deal w/ the stamping?
They sure have stamped enough barrels in the companies life...

And a gun smith that didn't like them?
probably misses the opportunity to work on them...cuz dey don't break much!
cw

jsmith15

i thought about buying my son the 25-06 XL-7. not sure at age 12 how bad the recoil would be comapred to a .243 All the reviews I have read for the XL-7 are impressive for the retail price. How does the Marlin compare to the Savage Model 10 scope package that you can get at Walmart for $377? This is my dilemma; do I buy my son a .223, 22-250, or 243 bolt action, or something long bolt like 25-06 or 270. Also considering ammo prices and availability. I do reload pistol now, and plan on loading rifle calibers soon.

Mission

i bought the marlin xl7 in 270 a few months ago, brought it to the range.....and it performed as stated above. out of the box it shot outstanding. got it on sale for $248 at bargain barn. great rifle and price.

headoftheholler

Marlin just announced that the XL-7 will be avalible in a walnut stock.

pacecars

I saw the walnut, laminate, camo and short action versions at the SHOT show a couple weeks ago. If I thought they would be out soon I would have gone for the 7mm-08 myself. If you handload I would get the Marlin in .25-06 or if you don't you could get the .30-06 and get the Remington reduced recoil loads. It is loaded with 110 grain bullets and less powder so it leaves a lot of options as he grows. Stock length may be a concern though. I have owned the Savage and a Stevens 200 and they are good accurate guns. The Marlin is a lot nicer for what you get money wise. I would not reccomend the package gun just because the scope and mounts are usually crap. Get the Marlin and either a Nikon Prostaff or better yet a used Leupold and you can use the bases and pick up Leupold Rifleman rings from Walmart and you are good to go.

Sargent

What did you think about the trigger? Is it similar to a Savage?

They are also making a line of short actions called the XS-7. The first 3 chamberings will be .243, .308 and 7mm-08.

Should be pretty cool!

pacecars

The trigger pull is adjustable but I found it was perfect out of the box. The trigger looks like the Savage but it is more like the Glock as it is a safety measure and does not affect the pull weight.

pacecars

The stocks that were on the guns at the SHOT show looked pretty good

jsmith15

I bought my son a used Remington 700 ADL witha nice wooden stock in .243 I will change out the scope for a nicer one. I will look at the XS-7 when it comes out. Would like a 22-250 in teh Marlin or stick with the 243. I will reload his shots regardless of caliber

bighonkinjeep

The whole darn rifle is similar to a Savage right down to the barrel nut. If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery then the guys at Savage are blushing. The new model savages feature a couple of upgrades including an "acustock"with a full length bedding block. & the barrel switch capability is there on the new Marlin but there aren't thousands upon thousands of takeoff and aftermarket drop in barrels available yet. I'm not sure if they copied the floating bolthead design that allows the locking lugs to mate so well on a Savage/Stevens that it makes the custom truing of the action and lapping the locking lugs pretty much unnecessary for great accuracy.( most factory actions on most rifles are warped to a certain degree due to heat treating after machining them)
It's no secret where my loyaltys lie cause my Savages/Stevens will flat out shoot.
It is good to see some competition in the economy rifle market because the consumer is generally the winner. It's about time someone else (besides Savage) built a better quality econo rifle than the offerings we've been seeing from most manufacturers. It's great to get customer based reviews and it'll be interesting to see what gun test magazine has to say about it as most of the other rags are in the tank for free products and compensation.
Let us know what she'll do when you get some hand loads worked up.
Thanks BHJ

Marlin_444

Maybe when they come out with a .300 Win Mag...

Ron