Men’s Conference Drama

gordon 2

Welcome to the show. The modern presentation of the gospel is just entertainment.
There might be more to it than meets the eye. It seems to my intuition ( my mother in me) like some last gasping at keeping " our way of life" ours.

I'm not sure intellectually ( my father in me) however if it is just a" Blow the Shofar" thing or a death bellow... or some generational fad that will not last that future generations will marvel at. Which is why I have lots of questions.

brutally honest

So. Obviously someone has assessed that men were not men anymore or there was a significant risk today that more men are prone to quit the church than is usual and hopefully getting them together in large numbers with the idea of boosting their self worth might be favorable that men keep with the religious culture of their parents?

I know that women traditionally have had their own thing going on in many church assemblies. Are men simply envious? And so wanting their own "male" thing? I'm serious, where does the need come from that males need to be parented other than by their families to be men?

And Original Rooster, what is a biblical man? And traditionally how was a man to be a "biblical man"? The traditional ways don't work anymore?

In a culture of free individuals, spirit testers via the bible, men's conferences serve to glue the individual to a group via some biblical exegesis of what a man is? or what a man should be?

What do the conferences come out of? When did they first come out? How have they progressed to what they are today? And why did they come out and why are they still important as a ministry to men?

I know. Lots of questions. Do the conferences really have as their goal to make a biblical man, an adult made to be in conformity to what the bible says a man should be?

And Spotlite what does a 13 yr old get out of a men's conference?

According to Aristotle, a man is made by age 7. “Give me the child until he is seven, and I will give you the man.”

Much has been written about the feminized modern church and how it repels men. The men’s conferences are an attempt to reverse that trend.

gordon 2

Much has been written about the feminized modern church and how it repels men. The men’s conferences are an attempt to reverse that trend.
I googled men's conferences and not one mentions feminized modern church, but they do mention they are meant to promote God's purpose for men. Like this one. Wow!

https://strongermen.org/

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
So. Obviously someone has assessed that men were not men anymore or there was a significant risk today that more men are prone to quit the church than is usual and hopefully getting them together in large numbers with the idea of boosting their self worth might be favorable that men keep with the religious culture of their parents?

I know that women traditionally have had their own thing going on in many church assemblies. Are men simply envious? And so wanting their own "male" thing? I'm serious, where does the need come from that males need to be parented other than by their families to be men?

And Original Rooster, what is a biblical man? And traditionally how was a man to be a "biblical man"? The traditional ways don't work anymore?

In a culture of free individuals, spirit testers via the bible, men's conferences serve to glue the individual to a group via some biblical exegesis of what a man is? or what a man should be?

What do the conferences come out of? When did they first come out? How have they progressed to what they are today? And why did they come out and why are they still important as a ministry to men?

I know. Lots of questions. Do the conferences really have as their goal to make a biblical man, an adult made to be in conformity to what the bible says a man should be?

According to Aristotle, a man is made by age 7. “Give me the child until he is seven, and I will give you the man.”
Gordon, when you want to draw someone's attention to a post, put @ in front of their name like this, @gordon 2 . I almost missed your question for me.

Let's keep it simple for our conversation and define a biblical man as a man who tries to obey the instructions and live by the principles given to us in the Bible. While he tries and fails as we all do, he continues trying all the same. That would certainly describe me and my struggles.

Traditional ways not working? There are no new sins or problems. They are the same old ones we've always had so traditional ways of recognizing and dealing with them work fine. I'm not sure what you're trying to say or ask me there.

What I'd like to see more of is instruction by giving examples of people and situations we face daily that are difficult for us to manage. Parables worked because they were relatable. We need more relatable teaching and less sensationalism.

brutally honest

I googled men's conferences and not one mentions feminized modern church …

Not surprised it’s not specifically mentioned, but it’s definitely a major factor:

“Many men say the current church is designed for feminine tastes. Everything from the decor to worship behavior seems just a bit too “girly” for many guys.”

Podles wrote an entire book about it.

“After documenting the highly feminized state of Western Christianity, Dr. Podles identifies the masculine traits that once characterized the Christian life but are now commonly considered incompatible with it.”

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
I googled men's conferences and not one mentions feminized modern church, but they do mention they are meant to promote God's purpose for men. Like this one. Wow!

https://strongermen.org/
Gordon, this is exactly what I mean. All of that theatrical stuff does not relate a single bit to my everyday life. The devil does not come at me with tanks and boxing and bulls (although I have been chased by cows at the farm, I'm pretty sure they weren't possessed), but he does come at me with tricky temptations and hidden traps.

Please don't get me wrong, I'm sure that some of these speakers give some great sermons and say some great things that I would agree with. I'm just saying that I believe men would receive better instruction in smaller groups where they could discuss and share their experiences. As a teenager and young man, I found that open discussion in Sunday School was often more helpful and enlightening than anything else I learned.

A lot of this stems from my issue with some of the modern church today. There's not enough instruction in just living the life. Too many are left to just figure it out on their own. Anyone too afraid to ask for help or ask questions needlessly flounders.

Last edited:

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader

This whole identity crisis and which bathroom to use is a good indicator.

Not my question but biblical men work. They take care of their families. They honor their wife. They protect the home from things that don’t belong there. They lead the family in prayer. They don’t depend on the govt for handouts or send their wife to the pastor to beg for help with paying the light bill.

For the question what does a 13 year old get out if a men’s conference…….any age is welcome. The target is 13 and up. Naturally, if you’re 7 you’re coming with your parent / grandparent.

Teaching is showing. They can learn how to shoot a cop car from a video game or they can learn how to become a man and take care of things by watching men. It’s the exposure. This gets on their level, too. If you find a girl you like, don’t think about dating her if you have to ask your daddy for money to take her out. I know that’s a little young for a 13 old on working but I earned my money by cutting grass. I had a job at 16, stayed in school and didn’t have any mental issues with that.

Real men don’t cave in on letting their kids figure out what gender they are. If they’re confused, put them in there and let them try milking a bull - they’ll figure it out. I don’t believe they’re born that way, I believe they’re allowed to grow up thinking that way. You put a Chinese baby in Mexico…..he’s growing up speaking Spanish. He wasn’t born Spanish.

We are raising a bunch of sissy’s now.

My 4 year old grandsons know that getting chicken eggs out of the pen and feeding hogs lands them a popsicle and getting watered down by a hose pipe.

Last edited:

ClemsonRangers

I would have been highly uncomfortable if I went to a Christian men’s conference and then some dude took his shirt off and started twirling around on a pole.
Confused black guy Blank Template - Imgflip

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Be careful. Mark Driscoll might accuse you of sponsoring a wet T-shirt contest. ;)
Lol I learned a lesson from my Dad a long time ago…..

He said see that apple tree. I said yes sir. He said that thing doesn’t have to say a word, just stands there and grows apples.

I’ve lived a fairly decent care free life with that concept.