Merino wool base layers

pse hunter

So I've been looking at Merino wool for base layers everybody talks about how well they work, would y'all go with the lightweight or the midweight. I see Midway has their brand on sale I can get the top and bottom in a midweight for $100 at the same time even though I don't own any Sitka somebody is selling a lightweight top and bottom that I can get for 80 I know FL makes good stuff as well this would be for cold weather layering ie.40° and below who else would y'all recommend

Lightweight for central Georgia and the south. But that's just me.
I find that for myself if I skew the base layer towards worst possible cold it usually isn't and I end up with a sweat damp base layer. While if I error on to light of a base layer when it really gets cold I can always grab a wool sweater mid layer.
But depending on make some midweights are lightweights so it all depends on what suits you.
Another just me thing. I really much prefer one piece union suits for cold weather layering, especially here in the south. I originally tried a pair out to eliminate the two piece bunching around the middle as I'm already to thick at the belt line, lol. I discovered that having the ability to unbutton down the front right down to bare skin added a whole new level to the thermostat in temperature control. Particularly on those days it might be a 30 degree swing in temperature between the walk into the stand and the walk out. This is also why my top layers are almost always a button up shirt.

kayaksteve

I’d stick with the lightweight if you are doing any significant amount of walking. If you drive most the way to a set stand midweight would probably be fine. Like gawildlife said above I find the light weight to be best for my situation

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
I bought a midweight top and bottom earlier this year, hasn’t been cold enough to wear it but twice. I’m not a big guy so I erred toward the warmer side, they work much better than long Johns.

chrislibby88

Start with lightweight, that’s your foundation. You’ll be able to use it in the widest temperature range. The thin stuff is surprisingly warm. When it’s 30s and colder I use lightweights next to skin, with heavyweight or fleece over that, then my outer layers.

chrislibby88

Also, you really aren’t gonna go wrong with either light or mid weight. The real world difference between say a 150 and 200 gram fabric is almost unnoticeable.

The best thing about wool is it’s ability to insulate when wet, and it can absorb a lot of moisture before the fabric actually feels wet to the touch. So you can sweat in it and not freeze to death like cotton.

cddogfan1

I have the First Lite 250 mid weight. The bottoms have the zipper on the size so you can pull them off in the field without taking off your boots. Love them. And all the First Lite gear. It's a little pricey so I wait till its on sale.

Sixes

When I wear it on the bottom, I wear lightweight under sweat pants or hunting pants and then coveralls.

For the top half, I wear a lot of mid weight under regular shirts up to a thicker heavy weight shirt, depending on the temp. I normally have on at least 2 shirts and a lot of time get by with 2 shirts and a jacket. Sometimes 2 shirts with a heavier pullover shirt will be fine.

I use a puffy jacket from first lite (Uncompahgre) as a outer jacket unless it is very cold, then I will use a heavier coat as the top layer. But usually that calls for below 30 degrees with wind.

If you have to make a choice, for me, the bottom piece is a lot less important than the top. I can't recall ever hunting and thinking that by calf or thigh is cold.

JROESEL

I’ve got several sets from midway, that’s what I use, I think they are mid weight and I got them on the year end sale, they were less then 100 dollars for the entire set, it works great

pse hunter

Thanks everybody for the tips and suggestions I'm getting to where I do a lot of walking in on public land anywhere between a half to a mile and a half in so I'm thinking that the lightweight might be better and get some fleece to go over top of that does anybody feel that Sitka base layers are any better then the midway ones

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
I`ve always worn the Duofold union suits that are a wool mix, with Merino wool socks and poly liners. Those union suits are warm.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Thanks everybody for the tips and suggestions I'm getting to where I do a lot of walking in on public land anywhere between a half to a mile and a half in so I'm thinking that the lightweight might be better and get some fleece to go over top of that does anybody feel that Sitka base layers are any better then the midway ones

I dont know that Sitka is better quality than the midway, but Sitka is very very good quality clothing and I wouldnt be surprised if it was better built. I just cant get over the "athlete and instagram influencer" advertising campaigns so I stay away from it.

I do think that First Lite merino seems to be better quality than the Black Ovis brand. I have both and the FL has stood the test much better than the BO versions.

Evergreen

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Wool to me atleast regulates better than poly, same weight mid weight I'll roast on the way to the stand in poly. I like a light wool t-shirt under a half zip midweight wool maybe a vest if it's really cold on the walk in, ill sit like that for a few minutes after I arrive before I put my outer layer on, depending on length of sit and temp but if it's really cold midweight wool under my outer layer pants. If it's not as cold as I thought I walk slower with pauses on the way in to help regulate over dressing, typically the coldest I deer hunt is high 20s on the walk in, but that's few and far between, I've under dressed in mid 40s and froze and over dressed in mid 30s and roasted all just part of it I guess

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
As far as layering with merino, here's my go to.

Top: I wear a lightweight merino t-shirt or hoody (First Lite is called Wick) almost every day during season no matter the temps and then top it with a heavy weight 1/4 (First Lite Furnace) and then add fleece or puffy insulation as needed and then a windproof softshell or fleece outer.

Bottom: I wear a midweight (First Lite Fuse) base every day after about 50 degrees and then as the temps drop I add heavy weight (First Lite Furnace) and then fleece and then a wind proof soft shell or fleece pants or bibs as needed.

Also I know you didnt ask, but a lot of people are worried about the care of merino. I wash it the same as I do all my hunting clothes. I wash with All or Tide Free in cold water. Then I dry it on low or no heat in the dryer. I havent ever hung anything to dry and have zero issues with the merino shrinking.

TomC

Smartwool NTS250 quarter zip tops and bottoms. Much prefer the quarter zip tops to the crew neck tops for warmth. In the off season you can usually find for around $40 per piece.

I`ve always worn the Duofold union suits that are a wool mix, with Merino wool socks and poly liners. Those union suits are warm.

I got those, an all wool and a heavier fleece sleeveless union. Love the duofolds but they do have that cotton inner layer that can be a problem if I break out in a hard sweat.

pse hunter

I dont know that Sitka is better quality than the midway, but Sitka is very very good quality clothing and I wouldnt be surprised if it was better built. I just cant get over the "athlete and instagram influencer" advertising campaigns so I stay away from it.

I do think that First Lite merino seems to be better quality than the Black Ovis brand. I have both and the FL has stood the test much better than the BO versions.

I get that I don't care how they advertise at all, but if it's good stuff and being a base layer nobody will see it lol