Missouri Public land deer hunting

Shad30

Anyone have any experience with public land in Missouri? Trying to do a little research on the public land so I can plan a trip or 2 there. I'd be bow hunting only so maybe the pressure wont be as bad. I know they have some big deer and like to possibly have a opportunity.

Jim Boyd

I have not hunted there but I would def hunt in the north.

Two trips?

I would hunt a little bit the last week of October and as hard as I could between 5-15 November.

I don’t recall when the firearms season starts...

Monstrous big deer, for sure!

Good luck!

Shad30

Yeah I'd probably make 2 trips based on the outcome of the 1st. I'd rather bow hunt if possible just because I'm sure everyone will be out there during rifle season. Doing some research now on some of the public land there. I've heard the northern missouri is the best also. I appreciate everything. Just ready to hunt different types of areas and see some really big deer if possible.

Jim Boyd

Yeah I'd probably make 2 trips based on the outcome of the 1st.

I’d be careful about this particularly if trip 1 was before the rut.

When the switch turns on, it is a whole different ball game than October.

I would use a late October trip to learn the area and hope to catch a good cold front and hunt it.

I would then use my 10 day trip in the rut and “hold on”.

More folks should be along with additional thoughts.

Again, best of luck.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Yeah I'd probably make 2 trips based on the outcome of the 1st. I'd rather bow hunt if possible just because I'm sure everyone will be out there during rifle season. Doing some research now on some of the public land there. I've heard the northern missouri is the best also. I appreciate everything. Just ready to hunt different types of areas and see some really big deer if possible.

Further north the better and the more you get that midwest experience. The further south you go will be more like the SE we are all familiar with.

JB is correct that the month of Oct can be hard hunting without a cold front

garveywallbanger

I’ve been to southern Missouri conservation areas 3 times for week long camp and hunts. The Ozarks are an incredible experience! White oak acorns are everywhere so hunting food sources is a waste of time. These conservation areas are large! I doubt you will bump into pumpkins during rifle hunts if u use common sense. Camp any where u wish on these CA s but prepare for weather! One trip we had 4 days under zero degrees at night and had to cut plastic off of water bottles and boil just to have water...it was rough! Pack accordingly. And yes there are heavy racked bucks prowling those mountains. I love southern Missouri! Walk in a quickie store and they have liquors and Ammo at the counter...what a country!

Last edited:

3chunter

I hunted southern Missouri public land. Still very good hunting in southwest MO.

MissouriBoy

Anyone have any experience with public land in Missouri? Trying to do a little research on the public land so I can plan a trip or 2 there. I'd be bow hunting only so maybe the pressure wont be as bad. I know they have some big deer and like to possibly have a opportunity.
Have to buy license over the counter, and great opportunities to hunt all over. I’m from a very small town (population 400) in Southwest Missouri. Message me and I can help out a little bit. I own 80 acres there, and my entire family still lives in the little town. There is lots of pressure at the conservation lands, but an early season bow hunt might be worth it.
There is no quota system, so you can hunt any time during the specified season, and they don’t break it down into certain blocks of days like they do here. There is CWD present in some of the middle counties around Jefferson City.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Have to buy license over the counter, and great opportunities to hunt all over. I’m from a very small town (population 400) in Southwest Missouri. Message me and I can help out a little bit. I own 80 acres there, and my entire family still lives in the little town. There is lots of pressure at the conservation lands, but an early season bow hunt might be worth it.
There is no quota system, so you can hunt any time during the specified season, and they don’t break it down into certain blocks of days like they do here. There is CWD present in some of the middle counties around Jefferson City.

Good info. Last season MO removed our county, Callaway, from the CWD restrictions. Didnt change the hunting any of course, but at least we can put minerals back out again.

garveywallbanger

Also ...my son forgot his hunter safety certification and we had the devil trying to verify ! They would not sell him a license without that #. I’m too old to need one...lol